The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who breeds BIG labs?

Default Who breeds BIG labs?

I started looking for to buy a male black lab pup about 2 weeks ago. One of my criterias was that the sire be at least 85 lbs, with 95 being even better. I am still wanting the athletic field trial build and I am having a hard time finding breeders who are breeding these bigger labs. It seems there are more people breeding bigger chocolates males, and I do see a lot more larger yellow females but I can not seem to find many that that are either are kicking out black pups. I am sure if I was to wait a while one would pop up. Anyhow, the reason for my posting this thread to was ask if anyone can give me names of kennels or breeders that they are known for breeding larger athletic labs (not the full English breed) so at least I can start researching and find one that has a little do soon. I would like to buy between now and the end of January.
    For what it is worth, my current retired lab is 100 lbs, his dad was 100 lbs. I have enjoyed the larger dogs, I have nothing against the smaller dogs. I have passed up a lot of litters that had some beautiful sires and dams because they were all under 80 lbs.

Trying to understand your post. What would be your personal benefit or the function of owning a "Big" lab?

You are looking for a dog that doesn't fit and would be out of compliance with the breed standard.
    Responsible breeders try to protect the integrity of the breed and thereby comply with these standards
    Good Luck

Maybe someone knows the name of the yellow dog Bill Sargenti runs in the open. Looks like a Mastiff.

Try another site that lists BIG lab breeders. Smells of a troller
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

Unfortunately, while it seems that the main criteria you are looking for is size, that is generally not even in the top five on the list of criteria for most members on this board. That isn't to say that someone may or may not chime in with a breeder or two where they got their "block head, 100lb" or whatever the latest catch phase is now a days. Generally speaking, if this is your main criteria for a lab- look at ads in your local paper and online paper classifieds. They are filled with ads where the size of the parents are the main selling points. Just be aware that the size of the dog does not "make up" the dog. In other words, health, temperament, intelligence, and a willingness to follow orders, should ALL be placed above cosmetic attributes such as size and color. Because of this, breeders on this forum typically breed labs in the range of 55-80lbs, which is within/closer to the breed standard.
    Now, that is my opinion as a breeder and a former owner of a lab that was 115lbs at working weight. I might add, he was a mixture of show/field trial lines which is one of the reasons that he was so big, and we got lucky that he grew correctly and without health problems.
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!

Quote Originally Posted by firehouselabs View Post
    Unfortunately, while it seems that the main criteria you are looking for is size, that is generally not even in the top five on the list of criteria for most members on this board. That isn't to say that someone may or may not chime in with a breeder or two where they got their "block head, 100lb" or whatever the latest catch phase is now a days. Generally speaking, if this is your main criteria for a lab- look at ads in your local paper and online paper classifieds. They are filled with ads where the size of the parents are the main selling points. Just be aware that the size of the dog does not "make up" the dog. In other words, health, temperament, intelligence, and a willingness to follow orders, should ALL be placed above cosmetic attributes such as size and color. Because of this, breeders on this forum typically breed labs in the range of 55-80lbs, which is within/closer to the breed standard.
    Now, that is my opinion as a breeder and a former owner of a lab that was 115lbs at working weight. I might add, he was a mixture of show/field trial lines which is one of the reasons that he was so big, and we got lucky that he grew correctly and without health problems.
    He could assume that because this is RTF all the health criteria would all be present because of the site reputation allowing him to look for the remaining attributes he prefers?? just a possibility??

As someone else mentioned I doubt you'll get a good field line lab breeder using very large size as a breeding criteria. Extremes in size are probably one of the last things breeders look for so if you're insistant on getting a VERY large, good field bred lab, it will probably have to be an anomaly.

That big Yellow Dog the late Sherwin Scott's Ralph puppy?? He is huge and extremely tallented

Here's one that comes close to your criteria- Dog Sargenti has running AA is probably 110lbs.

He's probably 90-ish? 85 is probably fighting weight
    http://www.legacylabs.com/Emmitt.htm