The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who breeds BIG labs?

Quote Originally Posted by Lpgar View Post
    That big Yellow Dog the late Sherwin Scott's Ralph puppy?? He is huge and extremely tallented
    I believe that is the one. Made a big open test I watched look easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    Here's one that comes close to your criteria- Dog Sargenti has running AA is probably 110lbs.

He's probably 90-ish? 85 is probably fighting weight
    http://www.legacylabs.com/Emmitt.htm
    We have an Emmitt pup who is almost a year and is going to be a big boy. If he fills out more he could be 85 or so. I sure hope not 100, though. Tall is nice for land blinds but 100 lbs could stress his joints.

Pike was a big boy

Guys thank you for the replies. This is one of the things I am trying to understand about breeding. I figured that since more sires I am seeing range from 74 to 80 lbs , this must be the standard that most breeders are looking for. I also get the fact that the 75 lb dog probably can have more endurance over the long haul. All that being said, my current lab which quickly hit 90lbs and stayed 95 to 105 lbs through most of his adult duck dog days before being retired. He was big strong and nothing got in his way while hunting. It was 18 - 36 duck days were the norm, 5 to 6 days a week when I was guiding duck hunts. He did not field trial however I would have loved to have fun him at some during his prime.
    I was hoping to find another dog that would have to potential to being a larger lab, it sounds like they may be hard to find.
    I

Sent you a PM
    www.dakotacreekretrievers.com

Online store - http://store.dakotacreekretrievers.com
    Find us on facebook!

GMHR-II Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH
    MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
    Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
    Dakota Creek's Long Shot
    Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
    Drake's Bay Super Duty (2004 - 2013)

Check out 3D retrievers, they dont normally have FT dogs, but plenty that play the hunt test game successfully and are bigger dogs.

It is where I got my pup and they are in your neck of the woods (conroe tx).

I wanted what you do except I have no interest in FT my pup. Unfortunately this site is mostly FT people and most of them couldn't care less about the color and size of their dogs. It is fine to shop for your personal preference, took me almost two years to find a breeding I was happy with and within my price range. My pups sire was an outside breeding and they dont have him at their kennel, but they have a chocolate male lab that Im pretty sure has some FC and AFCs on his pedigree.

Yeah there are definitely some cons to having such a big dog, health being the main issue but also field lab/upland and "big" dont usually mix. My dog is 9 months now and he is 86 lbs, definitely going to be the bigger dog you are looking for but it didn't come without a price, he had all kinds of growing pains and problems but now that we have him straightened out he is going to be an awesome dog.

But no, unless you are in North Carolina, I can't help you with a breeder.

The Snows, because I am new I have to post a few more times before the site will allow me to respond. I will send you a response to your pm here before to long but in the mean time, THANK YOU.

To the other, I appreciate you taking the time to respond and I will look into these kennels and or dogs and their future litters they sire.
    I am also understanding as breeder most try to stay within the expected standards of what everyone is looking for. I think what some may have suggested is that I need to look for someone who is breeding large hunting labs with good blood lines rather than look for field trial bred litters......which does make sense. Thanks.

^^^ Exactly. Don't let people down play the big dogs though, there is definitely a place for them. In the duck blind, yes. 6 hour long upland hunts, probably not your best bet. That's why labs are such an awesome breed. All sorts of sizes, shapes, colors, probably the most versatile dog out there.

I myself like the looks for bigger dog! Some labs have started to look more like pointers than labs. My female is only around 65lbs. Im hoping my little boy will hit the 80-85 area.