RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Who breeds BIG labs?

19K views 63 replies 38 participants last post by  Alain 
#1 ·
I started looking for to buy a male black lab pup about 2 weeks ago. One of my criterias was that the sire be at least 85 lbs, with 95 being even better. I am still wanting the athletic field trial build and I am having a hard time finding breeders who are breeding these bigger labs. It seems there are more people breeding bigger chocolates males, and I do see a lot more larger yellow females but I can not seem to find many that that are either are kicking out black pups. I am sure if I was to wait a while one would pop up. Anyhow, the reason for my posting this thread to was ask if anyone can give me names of kennels or breeders that they are known for breeding larger athletic labs (not the full English breed) so at least I can start researching and find one that has a little do soon. I would like to buy between now and the end of January.
For what it is worth, my current retired lab is 100 lbs, his dad was 100 lbs. I have enjoyed the larger dogs, I have nothing against the smaller dogs. I have passed up a lot of litters that had some beautiful sires and dams because they were all under 80 lbs.

#4 ·
Maybe someone knows the name of the yellow dog Bill Sargenti runs in the open. Looks like a Mastiff.

#6 ·
Unfortunately, while it seems that the main criteria you are looking for is size, that is generally not even in the top five on the list of criteria for most members on this board. That isn't to say that someone may or may not chime in with a breeder or two where they got their "block head, 100lb" or whatever the latest catch phase is now a days. Generally speaking, if this is your main criteria for a lab- look at ads in your local paper and online paper classifieds. They are filled with ads where the size of the parents are the main selling points. Just be aware that the size of the dog does not "make up" the dog. In other words, health, temperament, intelligence, and a willingness to follow orders, should ALL be placed above cosmetic attributes such as size and color. Because of this, breeders on this forum typically breed labs in the range of 55-80lbs, which is within/closer to the breed standard.
Now, that is my opinion as a breeder and a former owner of a lab that was 115lbs at working weight. I might add, he was a mixture of show/field trial lines which is one of the reasons that he was so big, and we got lucky that he grew correctly and without health problems.

#7 ·
He could assume that because this is RTF all the health criteria would all be present because of the site reputation allowing him to look for the remaining attributes he prefers?? just a possibility??

#8 ·
As someone else mentioned I doubt you'll get a good field line lab breeder using very large size as a breeding criteria. Extremes in size are probably one of the last things breeders look for so if you're insistant on getting a VERY large, good field bred lab, it will probably have to be an anomaly.

#11 ·
I believe that is the one. Made a big open test I watched look easy.

#10 ·
Here's one that comes close to your criteria- Dog Sargenti has running AA is probably 110lbs.

He's probably 90-ish? 85 is probably fighting weight
http://www.legacylabs.com/Emmitt.htm

#12 ·
Here's one that comes close to your criteria- Dog Sargenti has running AA is probably 110lbs.

He's probably 90-ish? 85 is probably fighting weight
http://www.legacylabs.com/Emmitt.htm
We have an Emmitt pup who is almost a year and is going to be a big boy. If he fills out more he could be 85 or so. I sure hope not 100, though. Tall is nice for land blinds but 100 lbs could stress his joints.

#14 ·
Guys thank you for the replies. This is one of the things I am trying to understand about breeding. I figured that since more sires I am seeing range from 74 to 80 lbs , this must be the standard that most breeders are looking for. I also get the fact that the 75 lb dog probably can have more endurance over the long haul. All that being said, my current lab which quickly hit 90lbs and stayed 95 to 105 lbs through most of his adult duck dog days before being retired. He was big strong and nothing got in his way while hunting. It was 18 - 36 duck days were the norm, 5 to 6 days a week when I was guiding duck hunts. He did not field trial however I would have loved to have fun him at some during his prime.
I was hoping to find another dog that would have to potential to being a larger lab, it sounds like they may be hard to find.
I

#23 ·
Guys thank you for the replies. This is one of the things I am trying to understand about breeding. I figured that since more sires I am seeing range from 74 to 80 lbs , this must be the standard that most breeders are looking for........

at the laybythedoor;) site "They" say what they are looking for
Size - The height at the withers for a dog is 22-1/2 to 24-1/2 inches; for a bitch is 21-1/2 to 23-1/2 inches. Any variance greater than 1/2 inch above or below these heights is a disqualification. Approximate weight of dogs and bitches in working condition: dogs 65 to 80 pounds; bitches 55 to 70 pounds. The minimum height ranges set forth in the paragraph above shall not apply to dogs or bitches under twelve months of age.
Proportion - Short-coupled; length from the point of the shoulder to the point of the rump is equal to or slightly longer than the distance from the withers to the ground. Distance from the elbow to the ground should be equal to one half of the height at the withers. The brisket should extend to the elbows, but not perceptibly deeper. The body must be of sufficient length to permit a straight, free and efficient stride; but the dog should never appear low and long or tall and leggy in outline. Substance - Substance and bone proportionate to the overall dog. Light,"weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens.
you may have better luck with a Newfoundland, they duck hunt.

#15 ·
Sent you a PM

#16 ·
Check out 3D retrievers, they dont normally have FT dogs, but plenty that play the hunt test game successfully and are bigger dogs.

It is where I got my pup and they are in your neck of the woods (conroe tx).

I wanted what you do except I have no interest in FT my pup. Unfortunately this site is mostly FT people and most of them couldn't care less about the color and size of their dogs. It is fine to shop for your personal preference, took me almost two years to find a breeding I was happy with and within my price range. My pups sire was an outside breeding and they dont have him at their kennel, but they have a chocolate male lab that Im pretty sure has some FC and AFCs on his pedigree.

#17 ·
Yeah there are definitely some cons to having such a big dog, health being the main issue but also field lab/upland and "big" dont usually mix. My dog is 9 months now and he is 86 lbs, definitely going to be the bigger dog you are looking for but it didn't come without a price, he had all kinds of growing pains and problems but now that we have him straightened out he is going to be an awesome dog.

But no, unless you are in North Carolina, I can't help you with a breeder.

#18 ·
The Snows, because I am new I have to post a few more times before the site will allow me to respond. I will send you a response to your pm here before to long but in the mean time, THANK YOU.

To the other, I appreciate you taking the time to respond and I will look into these kennels and or dogs and their future litters they sire.
I am also understanding as breeder most try to stay within the expected standards of what everyone is looking for. I think what some may have suggested is that I need to look for someone who is breeding large hunting labs with good blood lines rather than look for field trial bred litters......which does make sense. Thanks.

#19 ·
^^^ Exactly. Don't let people down play the big dogs though, there is definitely a place for them. In the duck blind, yes. 6 hour long upland hunts, probably not your best bet. That's why labs are such an awesome breed. All sorts of sizes, shapes, colors, probably the most versatile dog out there.

#22 ·
Larger isn't necessarily better. I understand your desire to replace your past dog with one just like him but that rarely if ever happens no matter what size they are. I've had numerous clients who think they want a 100 lb "block headed" lab but after some educated discussion they realize it's not really a deciding factor. I'm sure you've heard it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. I've got 50 lb females that would retrieve all day long next to your 100 pounder so what the dog weighs is really not what you should be looking at. Look for the right health clearances, proven performance in RECENT generations of the pedigree, and an educated and responsible breeder/trainer that can inteliligently answer your questions.

Good luck.

#25 ·
I was like u and wanted a big male, well he is 93 lbs
Hunts ducks geese and pheasant, and hammers criple
Geese but tires quickly in pheasant fields and when the temps
Hits 75 and sunny he tired quickly on long land blinds
Next dog 70-75lbs listen to this guys on here they know
A chessie may work too good luck

#26 ·
Bigger dogs are stronger, that's just nature taking it's course. They can handle tougher conditions, that's nature too, more body mass, more retained body heat. There are places for these larger bred labs. But like has been said time and time again, make sure you do your homework and get a reputable breeder and do some background research and make sure there are no genetic flaws that may pop up in these big boned dogs.

The problem is, as with all dogs, no matter what their bloodlines are, you cannot completely breed out genetic issues that may pop up. It just happens. Some might say that it happens more frequent with the larger dogs, which may be true. Just be aware of this and pay close attention so you will be equipped to handle any situation that may arise.

Goodluck. Post a picture if you find one.

#32 ·
Bigger dogs are stronger, that's just nature taking it's course. They can handle tougher conditions, .
Which might matter if they are in a tug of war or pulling a car, but useless in a sneak boat or working upland all day. Have seen many more "bigger" dogs go down to stress or fatigue than standard or slightly smaller dogs. Have seen more go early also.

#49 · (Edited)
Might want to look at Ajtop retrievers. I have talked to Alain and as yourself he likes the bigger dogs also. I think he even has a litter in the classified section. He is in Canada but comes to the states for training.
I agree. AJ uses terms such as Smart, big, strong and powerfull. I REALLY like his goals in regards to his breeding program that he is trying to achieve. Matter of fact, I have one of his pups laying here beside me as I type this. At this point, I consider him more of a friend than a "business arrangement" and have been talking to him regularly for close to two years. A year ago this past July, I drove up to Upstate NY to pick my little guy and two of his sisters up and meet AJ in person. Just an all around great guy to talk to and do business with, in my opinion. I do believe he was suppose to be down in the states the first week of Dec. delivering pups and meeting their new owners.

#28 ·
I too like a big lab, still it seems like my lot is to pick pups out of a male and female on the larger size, and ended up with a full grown 55lb lab. Oh well; I like them just fine and they might take it personal if you tell them they are runts ;).

#29 · (Edited)
We had a FC AFC Whitie IV son out of a NFC AFC Storm's Riptide Star female that was 115 in his prime, 100 as an older dog and not working much. he was pretty proportional, just HUGE. My vet actually fussed at me when he got down to 89 lbs when I put him in the kennel. We lost him to bloat at 8 years old. Bred to one of our 55-60 lb girls, produced a female that was about 73 lbs, another about 68 lbs, a male here in training that is about 75 lbs, another male that was about 70 pounds at 1 1/2 year old.

Dog Mammal Vertebrate Canidae Carnivore
Mammal Vertebrate Dog Canidae Horse
Vertebrate Dog Mammal Canidae Dog breed

#30 ·
Oh my Alison! I love that picture with the saddle on the dog!!!!! Just curious, do you know if any correlation has been made between size of dog and incidence of bloat?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.