The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who breeds BIG labs?

you never know what yur gonna get, my litter out of 65 lb bitch, 85 lb male, two males over 100, one female 55,
    one male 65, two females 85 - 90. one male over 100 was one of the smallest pups at 7 weeks.

Larger isn't necessarily better. I understand your desire to replace your past dog with one just like him but that rarely if ever happens no matter what size they are. I've had numerous clients who think they want a 100 lb "block headed" lab but after some educated discussion they realize it's not really a deciding factor. I'm sure you've heard it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. I've got 50 lb females that would retrieve all day long next to your 100 pounder so what the dog weighs is really not what you should be looking at. Look for the right health clearances, proven performance in RECENT generations of the pedigree, and an educated and responsible breeder/trainer that can inteliligently answer your questions.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by LabBroker View Post
    Guys thank you for the replies. This is one of the things I am trying to understand about breeding. I figured that since more sires I am seeing range from 74 to 80 lbs , this must be the standard that most breeders are looking for........

at the laybythedoor site "They" say what they are looking for
    Size - The height at the withers for a dog is 22-1/2 to 24-1/2 inches; for a bitch is 21-1/2 to 23-1/2 inches. Any variance greater than 1/2 inch above or below these heights is a disqualification. Approximate weight of dogs and bitches in working condition: dogs 65 to 80 pounds; bitches 55 to 70 pounds. The minimum height ranges set forth in the paragraph above shall not apply to dogs or bitches under twelve months of age.
    Proportion - Short-coupled; length from the point of the shoulder to the point of the rump is equal to or slightly longer than the distance from the withers to the ground. Distance from the elbow to the ground should be equal to one half of the height at the withers. The brisket should extend to the elbows, but not perceptibly deeper. The body must be of sufficient length to permit a straight, free and efficient stride; but the dog should never appear low and long or tall and leggy in outline. Substance - Substance and bone proportionate to the overall dog. Light,"weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens.
    you may have better luck with a Newfoundland, they duck hunt.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Brad B View Post
    Larger isn't necessarily better. I understand your desire to replace your past dog with one just like him but that rarely if ever happens no matter what size they are. I've had numerous clients who think they want a 100 lb "block headed" lab but after some educated discussion they realize it's not really a deciding factor. I'm sure you've heard it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. I've got 50 lb females that would retrieve all day long next to your 100 pounder so what the dog weighs is really not what you should be looking at. Look for the right health clearances, proven performance in RECENT generations of the pedigree, and an educated and responsible breeder/trainer that can inteliligently answer your questions.

Good luck.
    My thoughts exactly. I always liked the bigger dogs until Indy, now a 70lb dog is my top end as far as size.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

I was like u and wanted a big male, well he is 93 lbs
    Hunts ducks geese and pheasant, and hammers criple
    Geese but tires quickly in pheasant fields and when the temps
    Hits 75 and sunny he tired quickly on long land blinds
    Next dog 70-75lbs listen to this guys on here they know
    A chessie may work too good luck

Bigger dogs are stronger, that's just nature taking it's course. They can handle tougher conditions, that's nature too, more body mass, more retained body heat. There are places for these larger bred labs. But like has been said time and time again, make sure you do your homework and get a reputable breeder and do some background research and make sure there are no genetic flaws that may pop up in these big boned dogs.

The problem is, as with all dogs, no matter what their bloodlines are, you cannot completely breed out genetic issues that may pop up. It just happens. Some might say that it happens more frequent with the larger dogs, which may be true. Just be aware of this and pay close attention so you will be equipped to handle any situation that may arise.

Goodluck. Post a picture if you find one.

Default bigger dogs

Might want to look at Ajtop retrievers. I have talked to Alain and as yourself he likes the bigger dogs also. I think he even has a litter in the classified section. He is in Canada but comes to the states for training.

I too like a big lab, still it seems like my lot is to pick pups out of a male and female on the larger size, and ended up with a full grown 55lb lab. Oh well; I like them just fine and they might take it personal if you tell them they are runts .
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

We had a FC AFC Whitie IV son out of a NFC AFC Storm's Riptide Star female that was 115 in his prime, 100 as an older dog and not working much. he was pretty proportional, just HUGE. My vet actually fussed at me when he got down to 89 lbs when I put him in the kennel. We lost him to bloat at 8 years old. Bred to one of our 55-60 lb girls, produced a female that was about 73 lbs, another about 68 lbs, a male here in training that is about 75 lbs, another male that was about 70 pounds at 1 1/2 year old.

IMG_1238.jpgpony saddle.jpgFeb 2010 hunt test.jpg
    Last edited by Cedarswamp; 12-10-2013 at 01:03 PM.
    High Tess JH
    Cedar Swamp's Linden JH
    Cedar Swamp's Cuttin a Rug
    Cedar Swamp's Holy Terror JH (3 SH passes)
    Blackfoot's Mr Independence at Cedar Swamp JH
    Cedar Swamp's Angel in Disguise
    Cedar Swamp's Test Pilot
    Cedar Swamp's Bonanza
    Cedar Swamp's Twisted Sister

Others have also graced our hearts...gone not forgotten.
    RC Buckshot of Seven Hickories MH
    Ceader Swamp's Deuces Wild SH
    Fallen Timber's Second Chance MH
    Ceader Swamp's Mac Millett SH
    and several others...

Oh my Alison! I love that picture with the saddle on the dog!!!!! Just curious, do you know if any correlation has been made between size of dog and incidence of bloat?
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com