The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter training ideas

Default Winter training ideas

What does everyone do when the snow hits; do you keep training your dogs or do you let them take a break? I am looking for some ideas to keep training them... without having to drive to the south.

Keep training-drills and blinds! Stand alone marks!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Lynn Metras View Post
    ...says the girl with hills as green as the summertime. I saw them pics you put up last Saturday! That's not winter!

We got 5 degrees and about a foot of fresh white stuff. Burrrr. It is too dark by the time I get home from work to even give the dogs much of a romp.
    Renee P

That's basically my regimen. Marks of any kind, any time. Get your land work razor sharp so you're ready to hit the water in spring.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Probably not what you're looking for but as a hunter I use the time to really test my control of the dog by requiring execution of skills not specifically practiced except through the concepts of formal training objectives.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

We do everything but water and not much on blood tracks. Great time to Force Fetch. Really polish the basics and social skills in the yard. Deep soft snow works great for blinds. Makes the dog really look and dig them out. Also makes them really push cover. (Tip, if you loose a bumper in the snow, come back the next day. The scent cone is larger and usually a dog will find it easily.) Don

With wind chills -15 I've been trying to train mine not to hog the covers.

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    ...says the girl with hills as green as the summertime. I saw them pics you put up last Saturday! That's not winter!

We got 5 degrees and about a foot of fresh white stuff. Burrrr. It is too dark by the time I get home from work to even give the dogs much of a romp.
    Not yet!!! We have been lucky but not so south like PA. If I have this weather I won't need to go south!!! Then we have January thaw and I can do water!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Default Winter parking lot memory mark drill

It is too dark to train weekdays after work. Sunday mornings the parking lots are empty.

I start with 2 or 3-tiered wagon wheel, then a different parking lot for 3-6 cold blinds.

I finish with a marking drill in a big parking lot...throw a stand-alone double at the
    far end of the parking lot, run to the line as the dog gets the go bird, at the line,
    leave the memory bird, throw a short single, cue with EZ, throw a short double,
    cue with EZ, repeat this process with triples, doubles, singles, keep the dog focused on each
    mark, expecting to be released so more singles than triples. After 15-20 minutes of this,
    cue on the original long (key) memory bird. Before you release,you should be able to read whether the dog
    really remembers the original mark...if not, cue as a blind and make book on it, run as blind,
    next time try 5-10 minutes of marks instead of 15-20 minutes.
    I think this drill helps improve memory and communication on key memory marks.

Quote Originally Posted by MissSkeeter View Post
    It is too dark to train weekdays after work. Sunday mornings the parking lots are empty.

I start with 2 or 3-tiered wagon wheel, then a different parking lot for 3-6 cold blinds.

I finish with a marking drill in a big parking lot...throw a stand-alone double at the
    far end of the parking lot, run to the line as the dog gets the go bird, at the line,
    leave the memory bird, throw a short single, cue with EZ, throw a short double,
    cue with EZ, repeat this process with triples, doubles, singles, keep the dog focused on each
    mark, expecting to be released so more singles than triples. After 15-20 minutes of this,
    cue on the original long (key) memory bird. Before you release,you should be able to read whether the dog
    really remembers the original mark...if not, cue as a blind and make book on it, run as blind,
    next time try 5-10 minutes of marks instead of 15-20 minutes.
    I think this drill helps improve memory and communication on key memory marks.
    We train Marks, baseball, wagon wheel, all of the skills in the dark all winter. Usually on a local school or church parking lot under the street lights. Don