The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Feline rabies vaccine, non Adjuvant type

Default Feline rabies vaccine, non Adjuvant type

To my surprise my cat (Puff) got a rabies vaccine that is only good for a year. I was surprised as I thought the trend these days was away from frequent vaccines so I was initially miffed.

But the vet told me that this is a vaccine that works different than the usual vaccine. The usual vaccine was, I think, "adjuvant" type in that it caused an inflammatory response that then stimulated the immune response to the rabies virus. These, he said, are possibly associated with tumor growth and so he gives cats a different kind that works differently...I remember something about a parrot being part of the story.

The up side is that the vaccine my cat got does not produce a potentially harmful inflammatory response.

The down side is that the immune response wears off faster and so you have to have them vaccinated more often.

Anyone ever heard of this?

Also I am wondering, if non adjuvant rabies vaccines are possibly harmful, what should our dogs be getting?

Thoughts?
    Renee P

Cats are uniquely susceptible to vaccine induced sarcomas dogs are not

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Cats are uniquely susceptible to vaccine induced sarcomas dogs are not
    Thank you!

That makes sense, as (I think?) the vet also said that the usual cat rabies vaccine is really a dog vaccine.

I had planned to just look up the info when I got home, but the vaccination certificate did not have much info on it.

Sigh. The vet who used to run the clinic I went to passed away, way too young. The new guy, who seems fresh out of vet school, seems great but I just don't know him yet.

Thanks!
    Renee P

At this time, using adjuvanted vaccines in cats are highly frowned on. They are very susceptible to Vaccine Associated Fibrosarcoma.
    Kathleen

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you're not, in fact, just surrounded by a**holes" -William Gibson

I gave 1 year to my heart murmur cat, three year to the cat from hell. The vet agreed- the cat from hell is hard to get to the vet and is a complete PITA at the vets, so much so the stress is harder on her than the vaccine. The sweet cat has the murmur!!!
    Christine
    "We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached. Unable
    to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way. We cherish memory as the only certain immortality, never fully understanding the necessary plan." Irving Townsend.

Thanks for the help!
    Renee P