The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roadside assistance insurance for dog box trucks?

Default Roadside assistance insurance for dog box trucks?

Last week, our chassis mount dog truck broke down on the freeway about 20 miles from home. No problem I thought. Just call AAA for a tow. After describing the vehicle, we found out the truck was considered a commercial vehicle and was not covered. So my question to those of you with chassis mount dog trucks, is there a recommended roadside assistance insurance?
    Jean

MHR Firemark Serendipity ***, MH, CDX, NA, NAJ, NF "Seren"
    WR Firemark Little Hot Tee***, "Tee"
    FC AFC Wigeons Carbon Chip, "Chip"
    AFC Patton's Moby Nick, "Nick"
    Silvertip's Secret Weapon, "Laser"
    Robber's Duck and Run, "Quick" forever in our hearts

We tried to get roadside for our 8-hole topper through AAA, Good Sam. They won't touch it because of the dogs.

Meredith

Does a chassis mount have to be registered through DOT? If it is considered a commercial vehicle I would imagine it does. Would having an insurance policy applicable to a commercial vehicle be a good idea? I am up-grading this year from a pick-up with a camper shell with crates in back to a three hole box. Do I need to make changes in my insurance or registration?
    I'm considering a Chassis mount in about three years. JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

We use to have a pickup truck with two dog kennels inside the shell and we broke down in Wisconsin at a Master National. AAA came and towed us to the Chev. Dealer in the next town. Sorry that they have become so uncooperative! We've had AAA for many years and we have a van now with dog crates inside - guess it isn't commercial.

Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post
    Does a chassis mount have to be registered through DOT? If it is considered a commercial vehicle I would imagine it does. Would having an insurance policy applicable to a commercial vehicle be a good idea? I am up-grading this year from a pick-up with a camper shell with crates in back to a three hole box. Do I need to make changes in my insurance or registration?
    I'm considering a Chassis mount in about three years. JD
    gVW is criteria for dot registration, 3 hole in anything isn't going to be a problem. Dot starts with 1 ton and up.
    generally commercial auto is written off business, if its not for profit it's not necessary but increased liability limits would be a safe bet.
    Just Win

Several years ago, my chassis mount slid off of I 70 by Colby, KS on Black Ice. Called AAA, they pulled me out. I turned around and spent two days in Colby waiting for roads to thaw
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

What level AAA do you have? I think if you have AAA Premier with RV upgrade you should be covered, if not I need to rethink my AAA coverage

Probably should have just told them your a dodge 3500 single rear wheel with a canopy

Guys
    Other positives about AAA other than a tow.
    With s CAA rider they operate in Canada also.
    One battery jump, one flat change is worth the price

We have a 3500 Dodge ; recently in Florida i left a chassis box light on overnight and had a battery issue. From the time i called till running was less than 15 minutes I have never needed a tow however understand a special flatbed would be needed.

That flat/tire change and battery jump is worth the price

A few years agowith another truck/ box , lm marty pulled off on the shoulder and it gave way. The truck was almost on its side. The guy got it out without a scratch. That was CAA
    Dk

Just switched my insurance coverage for my business to Progressive.....carry the highest amount.....and found out it already comes with roadside. I also carry the AAA highest level.....RVPlus/perm. Just thoughts.....but I was really over joyed to know that my commercial business Progressive package gave me unlimited yearly.....I always get kicked out of AAA before year is finished.