The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roadside assistance insurance for dog box trucks?

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    gVW is criteria for dot registration, 3 hole in anything isn't going to be a problem. Dot starts with 1 ton and up.
    generally commercial auto is written off business, if its not for profit it's not necessary but increased liability limits would be a safe bet.

Thanks for the reply. I switched vehicles on my old policy, (accident free) from my 99 Super Duty to the 2014. Rates stayed very similar. I did up liability from state (NM) minimums to a much higher level. I have been with the same agent and company for 35+ years for vehicle, home and RV. No complaints. I have roadside coverage. Will check with them about coverage for new three-hole tomorrow. Thanks. JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by fetchbrowndog View Post
    I always get kicked out of AAA before year is finished.
    That happened to us a year ago for the first time. I was livid to find out that there was a cap even after years and years of not hitting it. We get a bad stretch of luck, including two extra calls when the AAA service station improperly fixed my wife's vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    gVW is criteria for dot registration, 3 hole in anything isn't going to be a problem. Dot starts with 1 ton and up.
    generally commercial auto is written off business, if its not for profit it's not necessary but increased liability limits would be a safe bet.
    Not exactly. There is an exemption if it is not a commercial vehicle.

In Louisiana GVW doesn't matter. It's whether or not it's being used for personal use. You can have an 18 wheeler for personal use. I pull a 32' dual tandem gooseneck with tractors and don't have to stop at weigh stations. The key is, the tractors and tow vehicle better be mine if I get stopped. If someone else's equipment is on the trailer it becomes DOT requirements (CDL, commercial tags, etc.). I also have "NOT FOR HIRE" stickers on the trailer. Passed many a State Trooper with it and never had a problem in Louisiana or Mississippi.

Some of the commercial exempt rules have changed State to State. Used to be 1 Ton was the break. Not any longer. With trucks towing capacities going way up, Many States stepped in and now require the vehicle to be registered and display a DOT #. Basically, if you own/run a business of any type and your vehicle is used as part of that business/purpose, you're supposed to have DOT numbers displayed in many States. I do know that "most" guys are not operating that way because they don't have their numbers displayed. In Jean and Tom's case, they should have probably just said they have a Dodge extra cab one ton and need a tow. Start elaborating on too much about the vehicle description and it sounds exotic and they won't want to tow it for fear of damaging it. Their guys aren't allowed to touch anything non factory because they haven't been trained for it. Just standard big business crap. Same thing happened when my friends Dad's collector car broke down. Can't remember the model name except it was old and looks like a model T. Except, everything was built from wood. Wood frame rails etc. It was a rare car. AAA would not come pick it up. He had to call a special tow service not covered on his standard AAA plan. Had nothing to do with the weight or anything. They didn't know what it was, the tow driver had not been trained for it and they just said nope.

Quote Originally Posted by fetchbrowndog View Post
    Just switched my insurance coverage for my business to Progressive.....carry the highest amount.....and found out it already comes with roadside. I also carry the AAA highest level.....RVPlus/perm. Just thoughts.....but I was really over joyed to know that my commercial business Progressive package gave me unlimited yearly.....I always get kicked out of AAA before year is finished.
    You will not regret the switch nor the roadside. Very good company to work with.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Ed A is correct. I had a one ton dually with a 12 hole box and AAA had no problems with it using that coverage. The only issue you may have is that they will not bring you diesel fuel, but I never ran out so not a problem.
    What you get out of it is what you put into it, then a fat lady sings.
    Marc Broussard

Thank you, Ed and Msdaisey. Time to renew AAA and will up it. And the lady from AAA asked lots of questions about the vehicle such as any modifications etc. I was willing to omit mentioning anything but if she flat out asked, I had to tell the truth!
    Jean

MHR Firemark Serendipity ***, MH, CDX, NA, NAJ, NF "Seren"
    WR Firemark Little Hot Tee***, "Tee"
    FC AFC Wigeons Carbon Chip, "Chip"
    AFC Patton's Moby Nick, "Nick"
    Silvertip's Secret Weapon, "Lazer"
    Robber's Duck and Run, "Quick" forever in our hearts