The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Training with dead birds question

Default Training with dead birds question

Ok so I am newbie here. I will be picking up my great little pup next week and have been going over some of the training material and it got me thinking. When introducing the dog to dead birds is it ok to use them and then just freeze them, and then thaw for another training session. IF this is the case how long can you use a bird.

First welcome and best wishes for success!
    There are others here that know much more than i
    If the pup is truly the weeks old baby lets leave the birds in the freezer.
    Use a sock , a paint roller , then a small canvass bumper.
    Socialization and obedance with a liberal dose of understanding
    Birds come later and then only in small doses.
    Good luck
    Dk

Yea I know we are no where near ready for dead birds these is just to feed my obsession of learning as much as I can so I can plan my future training session. I am a big planner.

Thanks for the info please keep it coming.

With 1 dog , if you use bumpers for most of your water work and dont let the core un-thaw , you can gets a lot of re-use out of it.

In my experience (limited) once you get through FF , you can take the bird straight out of the freezer and use it, then return it.
    Last edited by shawninthesticks; 12-09-2013 at 10:19 PM.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Yes u can thaw and refreeze birds. How long they last depends on the weather and how long they are out and being used. In the winter I usually take out of the freezer and leave in the garage late the night before use. In the summer I take out of the freezer when I get up.
    In the winter they last a long time. In the summer not as long. Maybe a week or so. But I run multiple
    dogs and the birds are out of the freezer about six hours or so.
    With only one dog they should last longer.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by Majja13 View Post
    Ok so I am newbie here. I will be picking up my great little pup next week and have been going over some of the training material and it got me thinking. When introducing the dog to dead birds is it ok to use them and then just freeze them, and then thaw for another training session. IF this is the case how long can you use a bird.
    Like others have said, you can thaw and freeze birds mutiple times.
    Training sessions at a young age are not as much about learning but more about exposure. Training sessions are not 20 minutes a day but more like 1-2 minutes, 3x's a day. Training at this age is all about fun and never about pressure...unless it's "outside potty"
    I would get your pup on birds as soon as a few days after you receive him. 8 weeks would not be to young. Show him the bird. Let him smell it. Maybe he can chase it a little and tease him with it. Get him excited about the bird. The drag it a few feet and let him find the trail and follow it with his nose. Not a formal thing but a play deal. Then progress at maybe 11-13 weeks on live birds. Small birds like a quail or pigeon. Then to live ducks on land at about 14-16 weeks. Just my opinion. Don

Use and refreeze until you find the bird disgusting. Then use it a little longer.

For a puppy, birds are not really important. Introduce to pigeons or quail if you feel the need. As they age if you are concerned, zip tie a wing to a bumper to reintroduce feathers. During force fetch, I will use thawed, frozen & fresh killed birds of as many species as I hunt.
    Mark Land

Quote Originally Posted by fishduck View Post
    Use and refreeze until you find the bird disgusting. Then use it a little longer.

For a puppy, birds are not really important. Introduce to pigeons or quail if you feel the need. As they age if you are concerned, zip tie a wing to a bumper to reintroduce feathers. During force fetch, I will use thawed, frozen & fresh killed birds of as many species as I hunt.
    Why would you think that birds are not really important for a puppy??
    Cold Creek Gundogs
    The more I'm on the internet the more I love my dogs.

The received wisdom is to avoid training a young dog with skanky birds. If you find your pup is mishandling the bird, time to quit using it.

You can save it for later, when your dog is more mature and had good bird handling skills.

I find that the freeze-thaw cycle is really hard on the birds---they fall apart and become brittle faster. I try and just keep them really cold but not quite frozen.

They also get busted up faster when I throw them in the frozen state.
    If I find broken wings and sharp bones sticking out, into the trash they go.

Otherwise I throw the nasty ones away when I have a good supply of fresh(er) (i.e. the duck freezer is full), if the maggots are thick upon them, or if my eyes start watering from the smell.
    Last edited by mitty; 12-10-2013 at 10:48 AM.
    Renee P

Untill you can see more maggots than feathers................................LOL