Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Training with dead birds question

My pups see real birds.....very early.

The Early Bird (link)
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH (June, 2007 - May, 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Boy View Post
    Why would you think that birds are not really important for a puppy??
    Puppies typically play with the bird & can become possessive. Without a check cord it can become a game. Even while reeling in a puppy, they can get in a lot of chewing. It can be exponentially harder to ff a dog that has eaten a bird.

I consider the introduction to birds very important. Just don't see much benefit to throwing birds often for a puppy. The risks outweigh the rewards. After ff almost all marks will be birds.
    Mark Land

The original poster was asking about freezing birds. I would assume the introduction to birds was over.
    Mark Land

The best way to use frozen ducks is to allow them to thaw overnight, use, hang & blow dry using a good sized fan, then freeze, thaw, etc. The ducks last longer, the feathers are less like the ducks have been frozen. It's a good process even if you haven't done water work.
    Last edited by Granddaddy; 12-10-2013 at 12:21 PM.
    David Didier, GA

Most people adhere to the "two-gag" rule for deciding when to throw birds away. Mark Land, not so much.

Just picking at you, Mark.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

Quote Originally Posted by RookieTrainer View Post
    Most people adhere to the "two-gag" rule for deciding when to throw birds away. Mark Land, not so much.

Just picking at you, Mark.
    I still use the two gag rule. Only problem is my gag reflex has been desensitized!
    Mark Land

Make sure they are fully thawed as a little frozen might cause them some holding problems. Also, make sure you entice with fun and chase. Do not be alarmed if the pup does not pick it up at first, they will learn to pick it up eventually. Continue play and chase and the excitement of the bird. I use mine 2-3 times, on water they do not last very long. If you loose feathers and start to see skin, toss them so that you do not encourage a meal. Not good if they get a taste of them. Also if guts are hanging, toss them out.
    Joe B.

Northern Colorado

Lakotaridge Heartsome Tanner SH "Tanner"
    HRCH Bella's Devine Independence SH "Indy"
    Lakota Ridge Sage JH "Sage"
    SHR APR KB's Lakota Ridge Delaney JH "Del"
    RIP Oryan of Cork "Orion"

"The solution is within the problem"

Quote Originally Posted by fishduck View Post
    Puppies typically play with the bird & can become possessive. Without a check cord it can become a game. Even while reeling in a puppy, they can get in a lot of chewing. It can be exponentially harder to ff a dog that has eaten a bird.

I consider the introduction to birds very important. Just don't see much benefit to throwing birds often for a puppy. The risks outweigh the rewards. After ff almost all marks will be birds.
    Well I think we should be telling the new trainer /puppy owner how to introduce birds to their pup. First off I use live clip winged pigeons. For young pups this age to unlock their prey drive. And I always have the pup on the check cord when they are this young so I can control where and what they go and do. The live birds are only given to the pup a few times and for short periods of time, this is done so as to keep the pup excited about birds.
    Later on in training birds are introduced depending on the program or training outline you're using.
    But live birds are at the upmost importance at an early age.
    Cold Creek Gundogs
    The more I'm on the internet the more I love my dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Boy View Post
    Well I think we should be telling the new trainer /puppy owner how to introduce birds to their pup. First off I use live clip winged pigeons. For young pups this age to unlock their prey drive. And I always have the pup on the check cord when they are this young so I can control where and what they go and do. The live birds are only given to the pup a few times and for short periods of time, this is done so as to keep the pup excited about birds.
    Later on in training birds are introduced depending on the program or training outline you're using.
    But live birds are at the upmost importance at an early age.
    Not to be argumentative but I am guessing if he is freezing them, they are no longer alive. When I raised a litter the first introduction to birds was very early. Way before they were ready to go home. Picking up live wing locked pigeons before 6 weeks.

After a few introductions in a controlled environment I don't see the need. If the pup lacks or needs to build drive then repeated exposure to birds has lots of benefit. My problems have always been with the Whoa part of the equation, never the Go.

After a pup is responsibly returning with a Here command & is not possessive of the bird then all marks will be either flyers or dead birds. After the demise of my bird freezer last month that may be an expensive proposition.
    Mark Land

Quote Originally Posted by fishduck View Post
    Not to be argumentative but I am guessing if he is freezing them, they are no longer alive. When I raised a litter the first introduction to birds was very early. Way before they were ready to go home. Picking up live wing locked pigeons before 6 weeks.

After a few introductions in a controlled environment I don't see the need. If the pup lacks or needs to build drive then repeated exposure to birds has lots of benefit. My problems have always been with the Whoa part of the equation, never the Go.

After a pup is responsibly returning with a Here command & is not possessive of the bird then all marks will be either flyers or dead birds. After the demise of my bird freezer last month that may be an expensive proposition.
    Didn't take it as argumentative. Sounds pretty much like what I do for bird intro.
    Good Luck with the bird freezer, been there myself.
    Cold Creek Gundogs
    The more I'm on the internet the more I love my dogs.