The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: High Liver, ALT number..diet support??

Default High Liver, ALT number..diet support??

Hi..have an almost 13 year old GR boy who has an ALT 1000 U/L.

10/24 initial visit, 652 HIGH, revisit with Denamarin & Doxy 3+ weeks, down to 403.

2 weeks 3 days, reading today is 1000. ProCyte looks normal.

He is on Denamarin support. Changing from Doxy to Amoxicillin (sp and hope I have the right med..picking up later this AM)

Today went in without AM feeding for the liver recheck and ultrasound. Vet gave a can of food, we go back at 11:30 so she can check liver reading..

Something, it seems, has "insulted" his liver so we are trying to recover to a normal reading.

Ultra sound today shows no lumps, bumps, bleeding etc etc..everything(all organs and no fluids, bleeding etc) looks great.

We do not know if he got into something (like on daily run, or drank water..she mentioned exposure to ..mushrooms, compost pile..puddles, water with high Copper.. Does not think it is tick related..no Lepto..

Forgot to ask her if it could be Blasto..but he does not have any lesions etc, eyes are perfect....no temp

Anyone feeding a diet to help? ..thoughts..

Thanks so much,

Judy
    Choctaw's Piscataquis Sebec UD MH CGC WCX ***
    UCDX HR SR Sand Dancer's XX MTB Ranger UDT, MH, WCX **
    HR SR Scarlett's Andi O'Malley CD SH OA NAJ CGC (OAJ-2 Placements) 9/16/1995-3/31/2011

Buy some Milk Thistle tablets from your chemist/online. These really help to support liver function.

I'm sorry to hear that Judy. I just lost my almost 17 year old Golden to liver failure. It was heartbreaking. We figured she either had liver cancer or something had insulted her liver, and since she did respond pretty well to the drug cocktail we think it was not cancer.
    But we did buy her about 9 quality months with a combination of amoxicillin, metronidazole, actigall, and milk thistle. We had given sam-E but you're not supposed to give it with tramadol, so we stopped as she needed the tramadol for arthritis.
    As far as the diet, how well is he eating? If he is eating pretty well, you can try one of the prescription liver diets. Or, better still, there's a homemade diet for liver support that you might want to try. Bland white fish contains a liver regenerating enzyme, which is why it's the basis for the diet.
    http://canineliverdiseasefoundation....iver20diet.pdf
    wishing you the best. I love the old guys.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA MHU SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

I give my 11 year old Gluta-DMG by Vetri-Science for liver support. When she's off it, her numbers go up. We were advised to use this by our holistic vet, to supplement her cancer treatment plan.

Hope you get some help with it, Judy! Thinking of you two with healing thoughts!!

Jen

I second the milk thistle suggestion. Hope he does better soon.
    Marlana Smith
    APR SHR TDK's Dusty Gunslinger JH - "Churchill"
    CPR Max's Black Diamond Girl Scout JH - "Scout"

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Thank you for the replies...much appreciated.
    Choctaw's Piscataquis Sebec UD MH CGC WCX ***
    UCDX HR SR Sand Dancer's XX MTB Ranger UDT, MH, WCX **
    HR SR Scarlett's Andi O'Malley CD SH OA NAJ CGC (OAJ-2 Placements) 9/16/1995-3/31/2011