The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where does the Govt Get Its Revenue?

Quote Originally Posted by swampcollielover View Post
    mj....I will try and keep this simple the key word here is "PRODUCES" if you use someone else's money to provide a service...you in fact are not producing anything! Eco 101.....churches are the same....but a sole is worth spending money on!
    What do you call the goods and services they produced 60 yrs ago that kept a big part of the world from speaking German?

mj....I will try and keep this simple the key word here is "PRODUCES" if you use someone else's money to provide a service...you in fact are not producing anything! Eco 101.....churches are the same....but a sole is worth spending money on!
    I agree 100%. I keep putting new soles on my favorite pair of work boots, worht evey penny.

I work on my soul whenever possible too.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

To answer the question posed in the title of the OP, Where does the Govt Get Its Revenue?
    I'm going to make a guess based on a number of previous posts here on RTF PP.

They steal Luvy's and DH's, and a few others, hard-earned money.
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    What do you call the goods and services they produced 60 yrs ago that kept a big part of the world from speaking German?
    OK, I'll bite. What do you call them?
    Mioaks Southbound Sammy JH
    Leatherwood's Here's Your One Chance Fancy

"Luck is the residue of design"- Branch Rickey

Interesting perspective.... as you have laid this out, all businesses that borrow money (i.e. get capital) from a bank or a investment/equity firm do not produce anything. You are right, very simple. Very simple.

Borrowing or donating is different than having your money taken at "gunpoint".

Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    $2000 for a photo portrait? I grabbing my camera and heading for DC.
    Speak of the devil ... just found this
    A bipartisan Senate duo says they want to crack down on what they call the government’s “lavish” spending on oil paintings of congressmen, the costs of which can top $50,000 each.

Sens. Jeanne Shaheen, D-N.H., and Tom Coburn, R-Okla., said in a Thursday press release they are introducing a bill that would only allow $20,000 of taxpayer funds to be spent on each portrait, and would only cover paintings of lawmakers in the line of succession to the presidency.

“At a time when vital services and programs are facing cuts, we need to be looking at every way we can stop excessive spending practices in Washington,” Shaheen said.

Coburn says their bill is a way to rein in excess spending in Washington, and ensure taxpayers are not paying for unnecessary projects.

“Hardworking taxpayers shouldn’t foot the bill for lavish official portraits, especially when government officials spend more on paintings of themselves than some Americans make in a year,” Coburn said.

ABC News reported earlier this year that the Obama administration spent nearly $400,000 on paintings of officials in just a two-year- period, and the Washington Post reported in 2008 each portrait can sometimes cost over $40,000.

The bill would allow other funds to be spent on the portraits after the taxpayer funds were exhausted.
    It's about time!
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Gerry, did you read the CBO report that your original cut and paste was based on?
    If so, did you notice that federal income taxes in 2009 and 2010 (under Obama) were at all time lows since 1979? Of course this is well known and very understandable since the stimulus program, repeatedly derided here, cut taxes.

Also, did you notice that the top 20% had 51.9% of all income and paid 68.8% of all federal income taxes? Our tax system is much less progressive than it used to be, isn’t it? This is especially true given the fact that these same top 20% now control 84% of the nation’s wealth.

There is a long list of direct payments in the report that are factored into their analysis. I do not see the earned income tax credit as previously suggested in the thread. The list of direct payments is below. Which of these programs would you eliminate to help correct this supposed redistribution?
    -social security
    -unemployment insurance
    -temporary assistance to needy families
    -veteran’s programs
    -workers compensation
    -state and local government assistance
    -food stamps
    -school lunches
    -Medicare
    -Medicaid
    -housing assistance
    -energy assistance

The CBO only factors in payments to individuals by state/local/ and federal governments but not federal corporate welfare which, in total, is much greater even based on reports from the right-wing CATO institute.
    http://thinkbynumbers.org/government...re-statistics/
    http://billmoyers.com/2013/09/24/ave...-big-business/
    http://reclaimdemocracy.org/corporat...aks-subsidies/

and the CBO fails to factor in all the local and state government corporate welfare that increase our local taxes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/02/us...ions.html?_r=0
    http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/25/news...breaks-states/
    http://itep.org/itep_reports/2013/08...p#.UqsNCvRDuSo
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...n-u-s-history/
    Last edited by Henry V; 12-13-2013 at 07:40 AM. Reason: more data

Not being a tax expert, I may not know all of the tax credits, but there is a very real tax credit for dependent children, whereby a head of household gets a check back in excess of taxes paid. Both my Federal and State tax software ask questions about that during the "interview". I'm not entirely sure what it is called if there is a similar tax credit for those without dependent children.

You will also recall the news reports of many of those checks going to the same address in GA.

The list of direct payments is below. Which of these programs would you eliminate to help correct this supposed redistribution?
    Nobody is talking about eliminating programs. We are regularly informed about the fraud and waste in many of the programs listed. Fixing such programs so that those who truly need them can continue to get what is essential is a benefit to all concerned.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

In discussing income inequality ...

The Census Bureau's official measure of income inequality — called the Gini index — shows similar results. During the Bush years, the index was flat overall — finishing in 2008 exactly where it started in 2001.

It's gone up each year since Obama has been president and now stands at all-time highs.
    There is no question in my mind that corporate cronyism contributes to the income gap.

The $ spent on a website contractor who happened to have friends in the WH,was corporate cronyism, and could have been spent on any of the programs you mention, Henry.

I do not argue that this stuff exists among politicians from both parties. It certainly does.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com