The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Vocalization help

Default Vocalization help

I need a little help with my 9 mo. old yellow lab. This is my first dog to train myself and while he is through FF and doing well with e-collar conditioning, he has some issues I am unfamiliar with. My primary concern is vocalization.

I usually work with a friend of mine and his dog. We work our dogs separately by taking turns throwing bumpers/birds and firing blanks ect. When it comes time for the other dog to work I either kennel or keep my dog at heel with a lead. The point is he whines uncontrollably if I don't send him. I also took him on his first hunt this year and he did some crying on the dog stand.

I know that he is still a puppy and has a great deal of work before he is finished but I want to nip this in the bud before it is too late. I have read other threads that say don't let him retrieve or shock the hell out of him if he whines. What is the best solution to teach a dog to be quiet no matter what the circumstances are?

Email a video to Randy Bohn. He's here on the forum.

Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steven_C View Post
    I need a little help with my 9 mo. old yellow lab. This is my first dog to train myself
    . I have read other threads that say don't let him retrieve or shock the hell out of him if he whines.
    DONT "shock the hell out of the dog"
    I don't doubt that you read that. That is the problem with trying to get advice via a tape, video , book or over the internet.
    Denying the retrieve is an effective application if done correctly. You need to get with an experienced group or mentor that can help you read and train THIS dog.
    There are plenty of resources in Mississippi
    Good Luck

My dog has the same problem but its getting better and better everyday, what I started doing is making her sit there until she is quiet for about a minute then you keep increasing the time for her to sit there and be quiet. I am currently trying to make her be quiet when she hears a shot go off, she knows what that means so I have started shooting a lot more around her.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven_C View Post
    My primary concern is vocalization.

I know that he is still a puppy and has a great deal of work before he is finished but I want to nip this in the bud before it is too late. I have read other threads that say don't let him retrieve or shock the hell out of him if he whines. What is the best solution to teach a dog to be quiet no matter what the circumstances are?
    I suppose someone may have suggested e-collar abuse, but I'm not aware of it. Shoot me an email to rushcreekpress@aol.com and I'll send you a full article on vocal issues.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

All I can say is good luck. This is the hardest and worst issue I have ever encountered when it comes to training. Others my be able to help but I have had little to no success in dealing with this.

Focalization on the run or vocal while sitting ? It should be addressed differently
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH *** 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH ***
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE **(SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH)
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY ** ( Larry's son and Murray's grandson)

Quote Originally Posted by moscowitz View Post
    Focalization on the run or vocal while sitting ? It should be addressed differently
    It calls for different logistics, but the principles are the same.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile