RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Vocalization help

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Evan 
#1 ·
I need a little help with my 9 mo. old yellow lab. This is my first dog to train myself and while he is through FF and doing well with e-collar conditioning, he has some issues I am unfamiliar with. My primary concern is vocalization.

I usually work with a friend of mine and his dog. We work our dogs separately by taking turns throwing bumpers/birds and firing blanks ect. When it comes time for the other dog to work I either kennel or keep my dog at heel with a lead. The point is he whines uncontrollably if I don't send him. I also took him on his first hunt this year and he did some crying on the dog stand.

I know that he is still a puppy and has a great deal of work before he is finished but I want to nip this in the bud before it is too late. I have read other threads that say don't let him retrieve or shock the hell out of him if he whines. What is the best solution to teach a dog to be quiet no matter what the circumstances are?

#3 ·
#4 ·
I need a little help with my 9 mo. old yellow lab. This is my first dog to train myself
. I have read other threads that say don't let him retrieve or shock the hell out of him if he whines.
DONT "shock the hell out of the dog"
I don't doubt that you read that. That is the problem with trying to get advice via a tape, video , book or over the internet.
Denying the retrieve is an effective application if done correctly. You need to get with an experienced group or mentor that can help you read and train THIS dog.
There are plenty of resources in Mississippi
Good Luck

#5 ·
My dog has the same problem but its getting better and better everyday, what I started doing is making her sit there until she is quiet for about a minute then you keep increasing the time for her to sit there and be quiet. I am currently trying to make her be quiet when she hears a shot go off, she knows what that means so I have started shooting a lot more around her.

#6 ·
My primary concern is vocalization.

I know that he is still a puppy and has a great deal of work before he is finished but I want to nip this in the bud before it is too late. I have read other threads that say don't let him retrieve or shock the hell out of him if he whines. What is the best solution to teach a dog to be quiet no matter what the circumstances are?
I suppose someone may have suggested e-collar abuse, but I'm not aware of it. Shoot me an email to rushcreekpress@aol.com and I'll send you a full article on vocal issues.

Evan

#8 ·
Focalization on the run or vocal while sitting ? It should be addressed differently

#9 ·
It calls for different logistics, but the principles are the same.

Evan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.