The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Will the EIC ignorance have a major negative impact?

Senior Member Mike Peters-labguy23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post
    What is the ratio of clear v carrier derby list dogs .....?

john
    Good luck figuring that out! I would guess more clears than carriers and way more clear males than females.
    Mike Peters

It seems that the people that are the most worried about carrier status are people that are mainly worried about breeding. Doesn't the dog have to add something to the breed before you decide to have pups out of it? Would you rather have a slug of a female that is clear or a very talented female that is a carrier? My point is, that you don't know what kind of a dog you have until it's through the program, so why would your main concern when getting a puppy be if it's clear or carrier? Just my .02

I for one have taken your concerns to heart in that I only consider pups from clear/clear titled top and bottom parents.

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Peters-labguy23 View Post
    Good luck figuring that out! I would guess more clears than carriers and way more clear males than females.
    Why would there be more clear males than females? Last I heard, odds were 50:50 that the EIC gene would end up in either sex, if the breeding is clear X carrier.
    Renee P

Quote Originally Posted by Denver View Post
    It seems that the people that are the most worried about carrier status are people that are mainly worried about breeding. Doesn't the dog have to add something to the breed before you decide to have pups out of it? Would you rather have a slug of a female that is clear or a very talented female that is a carrier? My point is, that you don't know what kind of a dog you have until it's through the program, so why would your main concern when getting a puppy be if it's clear or carrier? Just my .02

Do you know they will make it through the program if they are carriers? They need to cut their weight no matter their EIC status.

Would I buy a EIC carrier sure you bet! I had the privilege of buying a NFC Pete pup. When asked if I had interest in a yellow female I said "HELL YEAH!!" I didn't ask about her EIC status until after we decided we wanted her. I think many people would pick the best pup when given the chance.

Our litter this summer had both carriers and clears. Some cared about EIC but only two out of 8 asked before they picked their pups. One who asked is a well known FT couple who had pick male and the other was a FT Pro buying a prospect to raise and train for a client. A couple of the hunting folks that picked pups were happy when I told them they save a couple hundred dollars by picking the pup they did.
    Mike Peters

Quote Originally Posted by Denver View Post
    Hit the nail on the head!

Anyone know of any Recent FC or Derby Champ that does'nt have at least one EIC carrier in a 3 line Pedigree??? Would we want to elliminate any of them from the Pedigree??

Will the EIC ignorance have a major negative impact on the breed for the future of Field Trials and Hunt Tests?
    YES, but it will have more of an impact on the Labrador breed and their natural hunting ability than Field Trials or Hunt tests. FT and HT are where the natural instincts and trainability are proven for all to see.

We have just cut our breeding pool in half. My proof.....where are breedings out of the following wonderful dogs who are at the top of the Open All-Age point list?

FC AFC RAGIN EYE OF THE STORM
    FC FOXHAVEN'S BORN TO RUN MH
    FC AFC TEALCREEK PATTON'S SABER
    FC AFC ROBBER'S STRAY BULLET

Just look at the puppy listings. What a shame these wonderful performance, team players are not being reproduced. I am keeping a clear female from my breeding just so I can breed to one!

It is a sad day when EIC status is more important than eyes and elbows, not to mention marking, trainability, intelligence, looks and size etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    Why would there be more clear males than females? Last I heard, odds were 50:50 that the EIC gene would end up in either sex, if the breeding is clear X carrier.
    From my experience in selling EIC clears/carriers I have had zero luck placing a EIC carrier in a FT home. I have with female carriers however. EIC carrier males don't get bred. That is sad but true. Look at the list Tammy put together.
    Mike Peters

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Peters-labguy23 View Post
    From my experience in selling EIC clears/carriers I have had zero luck placing a EIC carrier in a FT home. I have with female carriers however. EIC carrier males don't get bred. That is sad but true. Look at the list Tammy put together.
    Same here too....we bred Nola to FC AFC Hiwood Jaguar and it produced Knowllwood Sweet Lily who ended up being # 2 on the '07 Derby list, people begged Clint to repeat the breeding which he did, but in the meantime had Nola tested, and she came back a carrier...all the people on the "list" ran for the hills and we couldnt sell a pup, almost could give them away, except to friends or family, and even some of those felt like they were getting a defective pup....
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"