RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Loose stools

3K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  GooseDog 
#1 ·
My dog is having a problem with having firm stools part of the time and loose stools at other times. I have taken stool samples twice to the vet. The first sample had lots of things going on in it according to the vet. So far we have wormed the dog for round worms and put a Purina good bacteria powder on his food. Just about the time I think his stools are doing well they start getting loose again. The vet said his last loose stool sample checked out okay and suggested trying to put Metamucil on his food. After a few days of normal stools, today they were loose again. the vet said that the dog might have a colitis problem brought on by training. The dog also stools often.

Anybody have any suggestions? I feed him Pro Plan performance by Purina.

#2 ·
I feed that same food to mine and I sometimes get loose stools out of him but it is directly associated with a lot of running and training. Everytime we are training or out running some energy out him, if he poops, it doesn't have a whole lot of consistency to it. Pay attention to when he poops and if he had been running a lot recently

#3 ·
What about his water supply? Truck tanks chlorinated often? Types of water he may train in may be influencing his system. We come across well issues at time, even public water supplies that use chlorination raise the sanitizer levels to offset poor bacteriological tests results. His system may also be more susceptible than another dog to training stresses.

#5 ·
Evaluate WHEN you are feeding the dog, and your feeding-dogwork schedule.

Air your dog well before it does any work, and let it cool down and relax before you feed.

If dog is needing is needing to empty its bowels during or soon after hard work, that may be your problem.

Also if the PP food isn't working for you, try something else.

#6 · (Edited)
I had a dog that would have loose stools about 90% of the time during training. I switched foods a number of times and used various probiotics to no avail. Never found anything that would work. Attribute it to his hyper/excitable nature.

#7 ·
As mentioned above some dogs just get really worked up and that can cause loose stool. I switched foods, use Forti Flora probiotics, and it really didn't change anything. What did make a difference was giving him one sweet potato per day, that helped firm up his stool. Every once in a while he still gets a little loose when we hunt or sometimes before we train but his first stool is always firm now and it's not really an issue any more.

#8 ·
I have a dog, some of you probably read my plea for help, that I have this exact same problem with. Treated with panacur twice, mentrobendazole once, Purina Forta Floria on a couple different occasions and Digest Rite Pro Biotic a couple different times, all about a month each. Changed foods several times, all to no avail. But anytime the dog gets excited or stressed form a correction or training or company or staying in a new place while hunting, he gets loose stools, goes several times in a short time period. I've given up trying to find a cure or even something to lessen the effects, I have been advised to try a thundershit and tried to simulate it with a hunting vest before purchasing one with no success.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.