The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken Toe

Default Broken Toe

Somehow my two year old lab just broke his toe on right rear foot. Swollen & painful.....wont put weight on it.
    Took him to vet for xrays. Vet gave him Deramaxx for two weeks and told me to rest him for 6-8 weeks.
    Seems more swollen today than yesterday & internet has some real haters of Deramaxx.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated to help us get through this!
    Thanks!

Dont know about it... but do know the internet has haters for and on everything... I would listen to your vet.

Quote Originally Posted by DropinBack View Post
    Dont know about it... but do know the internet has haters for and on everything... I would listen to your vet.
    me 2.
    If you don't trust your vet get a new one. Try not to listen to hard to the folks on the net that don't even use their name. Don

When my dog broke his toe, my vet put it in a splint and wrap for six weeks. Deramaxx was given for a week with no problem and foot healed well.
    Becky
    Life is Good . . . Do what you like - Like what you do.

First of all I had to look up Deramaxx. Our puppy broke his toe, thanks to me accidentally closing a door on him. He had only one pain killer while getting X-rays. They wrapped it for 4 weeks. When they wrapped it so much he was fine walking on it without any pain. Re-doing it every week because he was a puppy. Had to wear the cone of shame as well. After 5 weeks they wanted to X-ray it again (for a mere $250). We did our own X-ray by taking off the wrap and calling him good. He hasn't looked so great.

Good luck.

If it doesn't seem right, take pup back to the vet. If there is any infection in the toe it can enter the toe bone - which is not good. This happened to us within the last 3 months.

My pup injured her foot in training. There was an imperceptible fracture in her toe nail and toe. Not seen on x ray. The toe nail crack let bacteria into the toe. Vet treated swelling with Amoxicillin and anti-inflamatory. Swelling got worse. Treated with stronger antibiotic and wrapped foot. Seemed to cure it. 3 weeks later, pup cried out in pain with same toe. No visible swelling. x ray showed toe had small fracture and infection in the bone. Treated with the stronger antibiotics for two weeks with more foot wrap. That seems to have cured it.

Sometimes it's hard to see what's going on in there. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by verne socks View Post
    Somehow my two year old lab just broke his toe on right rear foot. Swollen & painful.....wont put weight on it.
    Took him to vet for xrays. Vet gave him Deramaxx for two weeks and told me to rest him for 6-8 weeks.
    Seems more swollen today than yesterday & internet has some real haters of Deramaxx.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated to help us get through this!
    Thanks!
    I like Deramaxx. Are you keeping him quiet in a crate? Also, you can ice it for about 15 minutes twice a day with an ice pack. May need a thin towel between his foot and the ice pack.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    I like Deramaxx. Are you keeping him quiet in a crate? Also, you can ice it for about 15 minutes twice a day with an ice pack. May need a thin towel between his foot and the ice pack.
    Yes he is crated most of the time. Sometimes he will come out and just lay next to me. He has puked once a day since being on Deramaxx, not vey much but some. Will call the vet to see if I should just tolerate that or not.

I have been using deramaxx for years without any negative effects
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

I too have used Deramaxx on dogs from pups to 13+ with no ill effects. Hope your dog's toe heals quick! I had a pup that broke 2 bones in a toe and severed a tendon at 8 wks. (got stepped on by a horse). They couldn't put a regular cast on her because at that age they're growing too fast, so she had a soft cast on for about a month, and I had to refund the deposit for the guy who was going to buy her because we thought she might have a permanent limp. Hers healed fine, fortunately nobody else wanted her either, so she's still here and is my best dog. DerNobodyWanted1086.jpg
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981