The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best crates?

Default Best crates?

A friend asked me to poll the crowd on the best crates available. The plastic ones aren't standing up the test of time and wear. He was wondering about the Zinger crates or any others that you think are worth the extra expense.

IMO it depends on what part of the country and what kind of a setup/rig you drive....we alternate between wire cages in the summer/early fall to the old aircraft aluminum ones in the winter,under a fiberglass ARE topper , on a PU truck...I carry the wire ones in the SUV mainly because they fit
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Wire crates for me. If long distance, the porta kennel.
    My penny worth.

Like Bon says, you're gonna have to be more specific about the need.

I have Ruff Tough crates. The crates are pretty much indestructible but the doors are cheesy.

Plus if you need locks on the crates, you need to go to metal.

If you get in a crash, the wire crates will collapse and they will not protect the dog.
    Renee P

Depends on what you want and the amount of disposable funds.

I went with a custom-built North Star Plastics crate. I wanted a crate that would fit behind the passenger seat of the van. (All the seats behind the front row have been removed.) I wanted lots of ventilation, 3 doors, and something sturdy enough that it wouldn't collapse in an accident.

The view from the side door and the back of the van:

IMG_0162.jpg IMG_0167.jpg

With the other dog crate in the van:

IMG_0169.jpg

I put my gear behind the North Star crate and beside the Vari-kennel. The dogs exit the crate on the green blanket. I prefer they exit and enter crates within the van, instead of jumping directly from crate to outside the van. I use a memory-foam bathmat, usually covered with a towel, on the crate floor.

You don't see it in this picture, but the North Star crate is secured with 2 tie-downs that wrap completely around the crate and go through the bars that would hold the seats, if the seats were in. The Vari-kennel is also tied to the seat holders.

Tying a crate securely is as important as having a sturdy crate in an accident. The crate isn't much protection if it's thrown out of a vehicle and hits the ground at 70 mph.
    Kelly Cassidy (person)

HR Maple Cassidy CDX JH RE (golden retriever)
    Alder Cassidy CDX RE (standard poodle chipmunk chaser)
    plus whacked-out weird Burka (elderly mix-breed rescue girl)

Quote Originally Posted by PalouseDogs View Post
    Depends on what you want and the amount of disposable funds.

I went with a custom-built North Star Plastics crate. I wanted a crate that would fit behind the passenger seat of the van. (All the seats behind the front row have been removed.) I wanted lots of ventilation, 3 doors, and something sturdy enough that it wouldn't collapse in an accident.

The view from the side door and the back of the van:

IMG_0162.jpg IMG_0167.jpg

With the other dog crate in the van:

IMG_0169.jpg

I put my gear behind the North Star crate and beside the Vari-kennel. The dogs exit the crate on the green blanket. I prefer they exit and enter crates within the van, instead of jumping directly from crate to outside the van. I use a memory-foam bathmat, usually covered with a towel, on the crate floor.

You don't see it in this picture, but the North Star crate is secured with 2 tie-downs that wrap completely around the crate and go through the bars that would hold the seats, if the seats were in. The Vari-kennel is also tied to the seat holders.

Tying a crate securely is as important as having a sturdy crate in an accident. The crate isn't much protection if it's thrown out of a vehicle and hits the ground at 70 mph.
    Very good point and I agree with you.

I have Ruff Tuff crates in my 4Runner. Love them, but yes, the doors are kinda cheesey. If you wanted to lock them, you'd have to work at it. They are narrow at the top and bottom, the dogs can curl up in there but not lay down on their sides. Not real comfortable for them to spend a weekend in there, but safe. My husband's truck has 3 Zinger crates in it. They will probably outlast the truck. Love the way they have doors with key locks. They ARE heavy: we have them bolted together for stability and it takes 2 people to get them in and out of the truck. They are big, and very comfortable for the dogs, who can lay all the way down and have lots of room. But: all that room gives the dogs lots of room to crash around inside of their crates, and maybe more likely to be injured in there. Luckily we haven't had the opportunity to find out how either crate fares in a crash yet.
    Pam
    HR Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe," MH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ

I use an "Owens" aluminum crate.

Warm in winter, cooler in summer.
    I have a P/U with a cap.
    Fasten it to the hooks on the side with a strap.

Maybe a little overkill, but I like that Elvis can stand up in it.

stan b

Like most things, you get what you pay for. A good quality metal crate will outlast several vehicles. (I have friends with a set of crates on their 3rd owner. Crates are 20+ years old.) I liked my Ainley aluminum crates. Sturdy, lightweight and exceptionally well made. Only reason I sold them was we moved to a topper unit on a pickup.

I was very happy with the Zinger crates. They aren't as nice as the Ainley but better than the wire. There is tons of variability in the brands of wire crates, though.