The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best crates?

It looks to me like the metal crates would be hard to clean (say if you're out-of-State and the dog has been in a swamp). I have Ruff Tuff's and am satisfied (wipe them out or take them out and hose them). I've gone thru a number of cheaper plastic crates.

I did drill extra holes in the Ruff Tuff's and have fans on the doors. I ordered them without holes in the bottom half to keep wet dog stuff out of the van.

They're inside my SUV.
    RuffTuff.jpg
    Last edited by Keith Stroyan; 12-11-2013 at 06:59 AM.

Great suggestions, information and photos. Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Stroyan View Post
    It looks to me like the metal crates would be hard to clean (say if you're out-of-State and the dog has been in a swamp). I have Ruff Tuff's and am satisfied (wipe them out or take them out and hose them). I've gone thru a number of cheaper plastic crates.

I did drill extra holes in the Ruff Tuff's and have fans on the doors. I ordered them without holes in the bottom half to keep wet dog stuff out of the van.

They're inside my SUV.
    RuffTuff.jpg
    Keith, how do you like those Ruff Tough doors? Mine are the older kind, I think they are terrible. If I had a digger, I don't know if they would hold up. If I got in a wreck, I think they would pop off. The new style, which you have on your crate, look much better. I'm wondering if I should replace mine.

Thanks!
    Renee P

Get in a wreck maybe having the wire pop open might be better than being inside a crushed pop can? Hardly anyone secures crates anyways so the doors are all going to pop open when smashed into the cab or the front passengers heads and/or windshield.

Ainley all they way, I have two singles in my topper covered pickup and would have nothing else.
    Mark

Rebelstar's Two Toes Tappin' *** MH "Casey"
    Trumarc's Thrilla in Manilla "Laila"

We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    we grow old because we stop playing.
    Never Be The First To Get Old!!!!!

I had a dog that could tear up, and did, almost any crate made. After going through numerous plastic and wire crates, I finally bought two Zinger crates for my truck. They are worth every cent. While the dog in question scratched up the inside of his Zinger and even the vent holes are bent at the edges, the zinger crate lasted longer than he did. As I have heard before, in buying the Zinger crates, I only had to cry once, while writing the check. I now have three of the zingers; I will not have to buy replacements.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    A friend asked me to poll the crowd on the best crates available. The plastic ones aren't standing up the test of time and wear. He was wondering about the Zinger crates or any others that you think are worth the extra expense.

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    Keith, how do you like those Ruff Tough doors?
    The doors are great.

Also, it doesn't show in the photo, but the crates are secured to the floor anchors by a nylon load tightener strap.

Quote Originally Posted by Old School Labs View Post
    Ainley all they way, I have two singles in my topper covered pickup and would have nothing else.
    I think that is my goal. That way I can separate them if need be during the hunting season and also put them in my wifes SUV. I have a price sheet from them and I'm pleasantly surprised at the per crate cost ,with winter covers and tie down add-on's, on the base model.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Another vote for Ainley singles.

Buy 2, keep them for 10-15 years and probably sell them for 65% of what you paid,
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

I use Midwest wire crates in the summer b/c I want the breeze to go through them. I can cover the crate with a sun screen but usually I can find shade. I have a topper on my truck with a fan in the top and by the crate. If I think it is too hot (I have a thermometer) I can take the crate out of the truck and put it on the ground or tie them out. In the winter, I have a airline crate I got from Walmart. It is very warm, plastic and very large. I can put a matt in if I want. Usually the guys are in the front with me, however, enjoying the heat or air!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray