The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: Need help with sizing vest

Default Need help with sizing vest

Ok i was thinking of purchasing a rivers west retriever vest. I was looking at the sizing chart and my blf is a 3xl in neck and chest, a 4xl in weight, and a xl in back length. Needless to say I am a little confused on which size to get. My dog is a trim 62 lb female and wears a large in all other vests that I have tried. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.
    HRCH Bear Branch Simply Amazing Grace

To improve is to change, to be perfect is to change often- Winston Churchill

I just went through the same thing you did. You need to get the vest that corresponds with the dogs largest measurement. Be prepared to do a lot of trimming. My Dog is 9 months old and is wearing a 2xl cabelas armor flex and I had to trim quite a bit but I think it will do for this year

I am not familiar with that vest but I wouldn't worry about the weight, just the measurements
    Last edited by CodyC; 12-11-2013 at 07:33 PM.

Thanks. What have the people who have used rivers west vest done about the vest size?

I too purchased a vest for my mutt. He is 70lbs and I bought a Redhead XL. It fits good and tight around the chest but when he is standing there is a large gap under his neck, When he sits it looks fine. Should I trim it, did I measure wrong or what?

Sorry OP your question got me thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by duck hunter12 View Post
    I too purchased a vest for my mutt. He is 70lbs and I bought a Redhead XL. It fits good and tight around the chest but when he is standing there is a large gap under his neck, When he sits it looks fine. Should I trim it, did I measure wrong or what?

Sorry OP your question got me thinking.
    I've never seen a vest that fit very well without some alterations. If you want a custom fit, you can cut darts (triangles) out of the places that gap and glue back together with Seal Cement (not Aqua Seal). This cement makes a permanent bond and you can add or subtract from areas of the vest at will. Typically, the shoulders and the neck will have the most gap. Sometimes, the stomach will require some work, too.
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

HRCH UH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) 1000 Point Club
    UH HR GCH Carolina's Wild March Hare SH RAE OA OAJ WDX CGC TDI (Bunny)
    HR CH Carolina's Running with the Hare SH JHR RN WDX CGC (Blew)

With all the people commenting about rivers west vest recently surely someone can give me an answer. Thanks

I was also interested in a Rivers West vest but their sizing chart says that my 75 lb chessie is a 4x and the largest that i see they offer is a 2x. Love to get one if I'm incorrect on my info

Thanks for the info on the neoprene fitting, but these are waterproof fleece vests and they look like they would be hard to alter. Keep the info coming. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boyetthunter View Post
    With all the people commenting about rivers west vest recently surely someone can give me an answer. Thanks
    Paul Gilmore is the only one I recall using one, but why not PM whoever "all the people commenting" are and ask?
    If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2012-2013 season log)

There were several that "recommended" this particular vest from different threads. Hopefully they will read this post and comment. Thanks