The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What DVD to start off with

Default What DVD to start off with

I'm getting my first lab in mid January and I'm not too sure what to use for training material to start.
    I plan on picking up smartworks and following that program, but I just want a solid puppy DVD to get us started off on the right foot. I know theres a Smartworks puppy dvd and it seems like it would make sense to use that one if I'll be using smartworks, right? But i've heard quite a bit about Sound beginnings and the Bill Hillman DVD, what would you guys suggest?
    And what smart work DVD's should I purchase, all I want is a good hunting dog and I have no plans on testing or trialing, but Evan Graham has so many dvds available that I'm really not too sure which ones I really need for my pup.

Thanks Joel

Start with hillmann. You won't regret it.

Hillman X2

Quote Originally Posted by joel21 View Post
    I'm getting my first lab in mid January and I'm not too sure what to use for training material to start.
    I plan on picking up smartworks and following that program, but I just want a solid puppy DVD to get us started off on the right foot. I know theres a Smartworks puppy dvd and it seems like it would make sense to use that one if I'll be using smartworks, right? But i've heard quite a bit about Sound beginnings and the Bill Hillman DVD, what would you guys suggest?
    And what smart work DVD's should I purchase, all I want is a good hunting dog and I have no plans on testing or trialing, but Evan Graham has so many dvds available that I'm really not too sure which ones I really need for my pup.

Thanks Joel
    Most people who will direct you away from the Smartwork Puppy Program haven't seen it. Feel free to email me with any questions. rushcreekpress@aol.com

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Sound Beginnings and Hillman. Jackie Mertens starts off a little younger than Bill Hillman and she uses treats to get the puppy motivated. If you have the funds, watch as many as you can and decide from there. Tom Dokken has a decent one that I liked as well. Evan's Smartworks is good too. The good thing about the popular ones is that you can sell it here if you decide it's not for you. Find a trainer that has the same attitude as you, and understands your goal. Sometimes this might not be too local.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Most people who will direct you away from the Smartwork Puppy Program haven't seen it. Feel free to email me with any questions. rushcreekpress@aol.com

Evan
    Here is a big reason to go with Smartworks. I'd get the whole thing even thou you want just a hunting dog. More than likely it will not be hard to have the best you have ever seen. If you have a question or get stuck somewhere you can search Evan's posts. Or just ask, he is here to help.

I was going to go with Hillman's program until I saw Evans puppy program. I figured since I was going to follow smart works program I would start from the very beginining from the puppy program and follow smart work all the way through. I should be getting the puppy DVD tomorrow in the mail.

I started with Mertens then Hillman with Rowdy.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Start with Hillman and then transition to smart works.

Start with Hillman and go to Fowl Dawgs. They are numbered 1,2 and3 and are very easy to follow. By far best bang for your money and it is a great program. Best of all you don't have to decide what package to buy, which ones you need or don't need or try to figure out what order to watch them. Rick is a full time dog trainer and has been for 30 years. www.finelineretrievers.com
    Tim Doane , Kingseed Kennels
    GRHRCH UH Hunters Marsh King Elijah MNH QAA "Ely"
    GRHRCH Kingseeds Little Miss Dangerous MNH QAA " Stella "
    HRCH Kingseeds Queen Of Grace MH " Hannah "
    Kingseeds She's A Classic " Layla "
    www.kingseedkennels.com