The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Training and where does it begin?

Quote Originally Posted by shawninthesticks View Post
    This seemed like it was shaping up to be a good thread ,until I posted on it.
    It isn't your post it's mine and aside from the guys screwing around a bit I like the input from Julie and others that breed frequently.
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    I"m not buying a pup from Shawn, Susan

I'll admit posting that to get things going with the (obviously excellent) breeders on here. I don't think necessarily anyone would screw up a 6 week old puppy teaching it to sit.
    Who said you were..... But you act like breeders don't know what they are doing. If that's the way you feel, why would you even say such a thing? I am not expecting a response, this last question is merely rhetorical.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    Who said you were..... But you act like breeders don't know what they are doing. If that's the way you feel, why would you even say such a thing? I am not expecting a response, this last question is merely rhetorical.
    Easy Susan, no one said "breeders" don't know what they're doing. I would never make such a broad generalization (any more).

I see all kinds of puppies with all kinds of habits coming from all kinds of breeders, professional to complete amateur every day in my obedience business. I also observe simple little behaviors like "give paw" being taught by people very early, and then turning into undesirable behaviors later on, like climbing on people.

As a result I have a long list of do's and don'ts for my puppy clients, leading me to the conclusion I'd like to have as close to a clean slate as possible in a puppy I bought for myself.

It has nothing to do with your, or any other breeder's competence. It's a simple preference on my part.
    Darrin Greene

Easy Susan, no one said "breeders" don't know what they're doing. I would never make such a broad generalization (any more).

I see all kinds of puppies with all kinds of habits coming from all kinds of breeders, professional to complete amateur every day in my obedience business. I also observe simple little behaviors like "give paw" being taught by people very early, and then turning into undesirable behaviors later on, like climbing on people.

As a result I have a long list of do's and don'ts for my puppy clients, leading me to the conclusion I'd like to have as close to a clean slate as possible in a puppy I bought for myself.

It has nothing to do with your, or any other breeder's competence. It's a simple preference on my part.

They're learning from day one whether you like it or not... so might as well start teaching them the right things... instead of letting them learn the wrong ones...
    But what about this^^^^^^
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

BCR's Born to Boogie "Boogie" (FC Contempt of Court "Ruckus" X HR Big Creek Retrivers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy")

again, wrapped in a box with no stimulation. to intimate that "giving paw" means they will climb on people later is ludicrous. A simple sit maintain takes care of that..... Can only imagine your list. Again, rhetorical.
    Susan

Quote Originally Posted by shawninthesticks View Post
    But what about this^^^^^^
    Why would everyone get their panties in a wad because I said I would rather have a puppy with a minimal amount of training done at the breeder?

I know everyone takes pride in what they do and I think that's great.

Sorry if I offended anyone. If this wasn't quoted all over I'd take it down.

I ought to know better than to read anything other than the classified ads.
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    again, wrapped in a box with no stimulation. to intimate that "giving paw" means they will climb on people later is ludicrous. A simple sit maintain takes care of that..... Can only imagine your list. Again, rhetorical.
    Maybe if you unwadded your panties and had a real conversation with me you'd find out I make a lot of sense Susan. You're obviously not going to do that though, are you?

I just did the count based on the Christmas cards I sent. 75 dogs trained in obedience this past 12 months. That's year one of the obedience business, all by referral/word of mouth.

Please don't tell me my business. If I sucked, I wouldn't be succeeding.
    Darrin Greene

I ought to know better than to read anything other than the classified ads.
    Nah!....I would have nothing to read
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

Maybe if you unwadded your panties and had a real conversation with me you'd find out I make a lot of sense Susan. You're obviously not going to do that though, are you?

I just did the count based on the Christmas cards I sent. 75 dogs trained in obedience this past 12 months. That's year one of the obedience business, all by referral/word of mouth.

I don't like having conversations with people who come on the Internet and blow smoke up their own behind. If you are the obedience king, how many OtCH dogs have you trained? Or even UD? Do I need to tell Connie Cleveland to watch out? how about a master hunter or even a senior hunter? To try to give a new person the idea here on the retriever training forum that a breeder should do nothing with their puppies is absolutely ludicrous and irresponsible on the behalf of anybody who claims to be a professional. Viewpoints like that are the ones that create timid pups. Performance puppies should be handled and stimulated and be bold happy creatures. I'm very happy for you that you are making a living teaching puppies to sit and heel. I care little about what you deem to be success. I only care about false impressions that you may give to others.

you only care about trying to show other people that you are right instead of learning why you might not be correct at all.

that's only 6.25 dogs per month regards -
    Last edited by JusticeDog; 12-16-2013 at 07:50 PM.
    Susan

Hey I'm pretty sure Justice doesn't wear panties. If she does they are big girl panties for sure.

Your comments to Shawn did come off pretty arrogant to me. I stand by my belief any positive stimulation from day one is a positive. To think that what Shawn is doing could somehow set you back in the future is ludicrous.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon