The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Training and where does it begin?

i have been starting a couple of pups per year the last four years. imho there are vast differences imparted to puppies by the actions and processes of the breeders/whelpers. i can only hope that i can do as fine a job for others as has been done for me and my pups, if and when in the future i feel i have a breedable bitch. the importance of positively managing the first six to eight weeks in the life of a dog is not as understood as it should be.

that said, since i am the best puppy trainer in the world, i can take one out from under a porch at ten weeks that aint yet seen a human and turn it into a world beater. LOL
    john mccallie

I just got call from a potential customer. Has a young special needs child and just got a young pit mix puppy, 8 weeks old. Told me yesterday how great it was that she sits and already knows how to giver her paw. Also told me her son crawls a lot on the floor and the pup is all over him. Also how she jumps up for attention and grabs pant legs and such looking for attention.

I instructed over the phone to begin rewarding pup for four on the floor and only four on the floor. Ignore and or gently shake pup off if nipping and reward for calm behavior, sitting, if it happens, but if not simply having all four paws on the floor.

This pup will also need to be crate trained (more challenging than you would imagine for the guilty feeling pet owner), in order to control the interaction between pup and the child (remember, special needs, can't talk and doesn't walk well).

Instructed customer to begin feeding pup in crate.

Customer called this morning, excited and extremely happy. In just one evening pup began exhibiting calm behavior, sometimes sitting, sometimes not, for attention. Fed dinner in crate last evening, this morning pup went to crate the food bowl came out.

Nothing novel here at all, and certainly not a brag but rather, an example of what I deal with day in day out, given in an effort to get people to understand where I come from about some of this stuff.

So imagine, just imagine, if this person continued promoting pup raising a paw for attention/reward. Child crawling, frustrated puppy with feet up either climbing on him or pawing his face accidentally. Imagine if this person did a half baked job of crate training and didn't understand the need to supervise every interaction with her child.

Imagine if this pup comes to see the crawling child as a littermate/play toy instead of a human.

Pup needs boundaries in place quickly to prevent any interaction with the child that could cause injury to either.

People send dogs to the shelter in situations like this every single day and they die, especially the dreaded pitbull.

So you guys go ahead and shit on my for my personal preference in what I'd like a puppy to know and not know when they show up at my house. Keep sending your dogs to top field pros while you go to your regular job and then act like you're God's gift to field training. Keep challenging me over the fact that I don'r have time to be a FT'r or a top obedience competitor.

I will go keep a child safe and a dog out of the shelter while you're doing it.
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    I just got call from a potential customer. Has a young special needs child and just got a young pit mix puppy, 8 weeks old. Told me yesterday how great it was that she sits and already knows how to giver her paw. Also told me her son crawls a lot on the floor and the pup is all over him. Also how she jumps up for attention and grabs pant legs and such looking for attention.

I instructed over the phone to begin rewarding pup for four on the floor and only four on the floor. Ignore and or gently shake pup off if nipping and reward for calm behavior, sitting, if it happens, but if not simply having all four paws on the floor.

This pup will also need to be crate trained (more challenging than you would imagine for the guilty feeling pet owner), in order to control the interaction between pup and the child (remember, special needs, can't talk and doesn't walk well).

Instructed customer to begin feeding pup in crate.

Customer called this morning, excited and extremely happy. In just one evening pup began exhibiting calm behavior, sometimes sitting, sometimes not, for attention. Fed dinner in crate last evening, this morning pup went to crate the food bowl came out.

Nothing novel here at all, and certainly not a brag but rather, an example of what I deal with day in day out, given in an effort to get people to understand where I come from about some of this stuff.

So imagine, just imagine, if this person continued promoting pup raising a paw for attention/reward. Child crawling, frustrated puppy with feet up either climbing on him or pawing his face accidentally. Imagine if this person did a half baked job of crate training and didn't understand the need to supervise every interaction with her child.

Imagine if this pup comes to see the crawling child as a littermate/play toy instead of a human.

Pup needs boundaries in place quickly to prevent any interaction with the child that could cause injury to either.

People send dogs to the shelter in situations like this every single day and they die, especially the dreaded pitbull.

So you guys go ahead and shit on my for my personal preference in what I'd like a puppy to know and not know when they show up at my house. Keep sending your dogs to top field pros while you go to your regular job and then act like you're God's gift to field training. Keep challenging me over the fact that I don'r have time to be a FT'r or a top obedience competitor.

I will go keep a child safe and a dog out of the shelter while you're doing it.
    Sounds like good advice to me especially with a baby!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

One phone call and an evening? You sure the pup wasn't just tired?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    One phone call and an evening? You sure the pup wasn't just tired?
    No, I am sure that Darrin is a miracle worker. Cause he told me
    In just one evening pup began exhibiting calm behavior, sometimes sitting, sometimes not, for attention.
    I guess he thinks field trial people don't teach their puppies that "four on the floor gets you more." It's such a new and novel approach. In one night, everything is cured. Amazing.

I know. Don't ya just hate that? Some of us have trained our own dogs, some of us have started our own dogs, and some of us have used a pro. Some of us have done all of these. But you need to know your audience before you start flinging poop. Time to take off the pink thong and put on your big boy panties. We all make time for what we want to make time for. Period. Obviously competition is not for everybody.

Those who can't, teach regards-
    Last edited by JusticeDog; 12-17-2013 at 09:08 PM.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

I can't believe we're having a long thread about breeding expertise and Bubba hasn't thrown in advice. Word on the street Bubba's been bred a few times....

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Darrin ,How could it be that since I experimented with a litter of puppies (twice in a 6 week period) getting a reward for putting all 4 on a rubber mat that ,that is even close to what you described above.

As an OB trainer isn't it your job to shape the dogs and their owners to coincide in life ? If the pup hadnt done these things you described ,then you would'nt have gotten the call for the job.

Also if said pup had come from my home , it would have already been introduced to the crate, and that human skin is not a chew toy, and that after you eat ,you go outside as a basic routine, along with other things ,not saying that these things wont need addressed in a continued manner, but they have been introduced to basic life skills.

I will keep doing what I'm doing and you keep doing what your doing and we'll both be just fine.

Good news is that I will be washing the litter out (all but 1) in the next couple weeks.

1 last thing , Yes My female is headed south with a pro soon ,BUT this spring I'll be washing kennels, throwing birds ,helping with OB work and doing all the other typical crappy BB things for about 30 hours a week/5 days a week as partial payment for a couple months, with a 30 minute drive each way and the fuel outa my pocket, and continue training my dogs, all while I run a small business and raise 2 kids with my wife which is back in school earning her RN , dont generalize me!
    Last edited by shawninthesticks; 12-17-2013 at 01:22 PM.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Quote Originally Posted by shawninthesticks View Post
    Darrin ,How could it be that since I experimented with a litter of puppies (twice in a 6 week period) getting a reward for putting all 4 on a rubber mat that ,that is even close to what you described above.

As an OB trainer isn't it your job to shape the dogs and their owners to coincide in life ? If the pup hadnt done these things you described ,then you would'nt have gotten the call for the job.

Also if said pup had come from my home , it would have already been introduced to the crate, and that human skin is not a chew toy, and that after you eat ,you go outside as a basic routine, along with other things ,not saying that these things wont need addressed in a continued manner, but they have been introduced to basic life skills.

I will keep doing what I'm doing and you keep doing what your doing and we'll both be just fine.

Good news is that I will be washing the litter out (all but 1) in the next couple weeks.

1 last thing , Yes My female is headed south with a pro soon ,BUT this spring I'll be washing kennels, throwing birds ,helping with OB work and doing all the other typical crappy BB things for about 30 hours a week/5 days a week as partial payment for a couple months, with a 30 minute drive each way and the fuel outa my pocket, and continue training my dogs, all while I run a small business and raise 2 kids with my wife which is back in school earning her RN , dont generalize me!
    Shawn since you have screwed this litter up I'm here to bail you out. If you have any pups left I will volunteer to drive up and take one off your hands. Free of charge to you of course. Well since I'm doing the driving a hunt would be nice of you to show your gratitude for my generous offer.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon