The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: drying out ears after swimming?

Default drying out ears after swimming?

Duck season has been an amazing learning experiance for this first time hunting dog owner. I thought upland matienance was bad enough..lol So far I learned about Limber Tail Syndrom, a condition my vet was unfamilar with but thanks to Dr. Ed that has changed and now she is up to speed (for the most part anyway). Then I read about hypothermia thank god I did not have to learn about that the hard way! But I could have I really had no clue. Now my dog has yeast infections in both ears, my vet thinks it could be from all the swimming and the ears taking on water and staying wet. We are treating it, but she recommended using a product like "Swimmers Ear" at the end of a water day to dry out the ears? Anybody else do any ear matienance or have some advice here. Is having an active hunting dog suppost to be this much work or is my dog just a high matience exception.. lol
    Last edited by motor-vater; 12-12-2013 at 10:09 AM.
    Some days your the dog, some days your the hydrant!

Search for "purple stuff" on this site and you will learn how to keep ears dry.

Not to be a smart arse but you need a new vet.

You're definitely having some bad luck with your dog!

I don't do anything with my young dog's ears, she swims all the time. My other dog got a bad, persistent ear infection once but once I got it cleared up it has not reappeared. I think a change in food helped.
    Renee P

Quote Originally Posted by motor-vater View Post
    Duck season has been an amazing learning experiance for this first time hunting dog owner. I thought upland matienance was bad enough..lol So far I learned about Limber Tail Syndrom, a condition my vet was unfamilar with but thanks to Dr. Ed that has changed and now she is up to speed (for the most part anyway). Then I read about hypothermia thank god I did not have to learn about that the hard way! But I could have I really had no clue. Now my dog has yeast infections in both ears, my vet thinks it could be from all the swimming and the ears taking on water and staying wet. We are treating it, but she recommended using a product like "Swimmers Ear" at the end of a water day to dry out the ears? Anybody else do any ear matienance or have some advice here. Is having an active hunting dog suppost to be this much work or is my dog just a high matience exception.. lol
    Yeast infections occur in dogs who never swim so that is a tenuous connection to Malasezzia otitis externa. The organism is an opportunist that is a normal inhabitant of the dog's external ear canal. It proliferates and causes problems for a variety of reasons.

You need a vet familiar with hunters and hunting. It does not sound like that is the case now!

I agree' I live in Los Angeles so finding a vet that has ever seen a hunting dog is a challange. my vet prescribed Otomax 2 times daily for 3 weeks. She mentioned food allergies to. I feed pro plan aka sport 30/20. he has been eating it his whole life with out problems. that being said the last 3 weeks he has been itching, scratching, shedding, etc. I figured he was just losing his colorado coat but now Im wondering if an allergy is manifesting... FML I just wanna shot stuff and play with my dog WTF
    Last edited by motor-vater; 12-12-2013 at 02:19 PM.

Maybe he is allergic to California.

Few of the vets around here have much experience with hunting dogs either.
    Renee P

Lol!!!! Me to I gotta get out of here..

I have to flush my dog's ears after every hunt or she will get an ear infection every time. The first two vets would take weeks and multiple visits to clear up these infections, always claiming it was food or allergies to something. I finally bit the bullet and started driving the hour to a family friend vet that had always taken care of my dad's water dogs - he prescribed a flush, an ointment, and an antibiotic and the ears were back to 90% within two days. Over her ten years, she's had a few more ear infections and this same vet has cleared them up just as quickly in the same manner each time.

Maybe Remi is more sensitive to these infections, but anytime she is in water, I have to flush her ears, even after a dip in the swimming pool. When I first got her, if memory serves me, the home remedy was a 50/50 mix of rubbing alcohol and vinegar, but I just use an ear flush now (less uncomfortable for the dog).

Hope your luck improves!

Our Chessie pup is similar to Striker's dog above. He's great as long as he's dry. Those ears get wet, and he needs them flushed and dried properly or he'll get an ear infection. I've been meaning to look up the purple stuff, but the otc ear flush stuff for dogs seems to work ok.