The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Limp tail - Questions for Dr Ed

i have been growing organic carrots that are very high in carrotine. i have been supplementing my dog's food with them in hopes of increasing visual accutiy and as a result improving marking.

to test the resluts i am throwing 4 to 5 marking setups per day. the dogs are actually marking better.
    john mccallie

So I just went through this myself a few weeks back and got a bunch of great advise check here http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...Coldwater-tail since then I have spent alot of time and effort trying to avoid a relapse. And have had 2 successful outings without a limber tail. First I bought some equipment.. A rivers west vest for my dog, a marsh stand, and a dog shammy. I also invested in this cool vent set up and ran it directly to his crate so that he had a nice warm place to relax after his work http://coolcop.com/coolk9-dog-crate-cooling-system/.

All that aside I think that over working a dog that is prone to having it is for sure going to lead to a relapse. I hope that next season Some early conditioning will help also. But here is the ritual that I used on my last 2 outings First I keep my dog out of the water as much as possible, That means when I'm on an island of tullies I make my dog sit at the shore while I head over to the island set up his marsh stand and get everything ready, then I give him the here whistle so he swims straight at me an put him on his stand. Then I dry him off. Before that he would swim out with me, doing circles around me and using alot of energy to accomplish nothing with a purpose.. Then I dry him off after every retrieve, as best I can. While drying him I massage the area above his tail a bit too. When I see signs of him looking cold or worked I pull the plug and head back to the truck. I dry him completely and let him air out while I clean ducks and pack gear the whole time the heater is running and bringing his crate up to a comfortable temp. I then give him a nice little butt massage and a few stretches and put him in his crate. If the drive is farther then 30 minutes Ill pull over along the way and find a nice place to let him air out again with a few short bumper tosses... It sounds like more work then it is but its not to bad, really the only problem I had was my buddy who never owned his own dog was all uppity when I pulled the plug after 3 hours of hunting. He wanted his limit and only had 4 on the string. I explained he could hunt as long as he wanted, but the dog was done for the day. Does it suck having a dog like this, Yes but like I said I'm hoping some earlier season conditioning will help next season....
    GMPR HR Snickelfritz of Bear Point SH "Fritz"

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    He is Doc E, and I don't think the E is for Ed.
    Doc E is his internet name. He is Dwight Erickson from Washington State and is heavily involved with HRC.
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

HRCH UH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) 1000 Point Club
    UH HR GCH Carolina's Wild March Hare SH JHR RAE OA OAJ WDX CGC TDI (Bunny)
    HR BISS GCH Carolina's Running with the Hare SH JHR RN WDX CGC TDI (Blew)
    Carolina's Tale of the Hare (Bea)

And he is not a Doctor. For humans or animals.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Thanks for all the information. I located the Auburn University/Dr Steiss study on limber tail syndrome and emailed Erickson about the dosages for Boswellia. I also like that vent system to route warm air to the crate. This is the third episode of limp tail for this dog and I'd like to avoid another one. It cuts into training time and last year we had to scratch a master test. Hope to avoid that this year. I thought I did all the right things but obviously need to be more attentive as this dog seems very prone to this syndrome

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    He is a retired Chiropractor.
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

HRCH UH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) 1000 Point Club
    UH HR GCH Carolina's Wild March Hare SH JHR RAE OA OAJ WDX CGC TDI (Bunny)
    HR BISS GCH Carolina's Running with the Hare SH JHR RN WDX CGC TDI (Blew)
    Carolina's Tale of the Hare (Bea)

Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    i have been growing organic carrots that are very high in carrotine. i have been supplementing my dog's food with them in hopes of increasing visual accutiy and as a result improving marking.

to test the resluts i am throwing 4 to 5 marking setups per day. the dogs are actually marking better.
    They're probably marking better because you are doing 4 to 5 setups a day. Practice, practice, practice. The carrots IMHO are more of a long term help over time.

Quote Originally Posted by DonBrou View Post
    They're probably marking better because you are doing 4 to 5 setups a day. Practice, practice, practice. The carrots IMHO are more of a long term help over time.
    don thanks,
    i was looking for anyone to come back and endorse my "holistic approach" to marking.
    john mccallie

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    Usually one get a Doctorate of something after 8 years of college. Did you mean to say Doc is not a Physician or a DVM? I've never seen him make those claims.