The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I lost my best friend Chunk today

Default I lost my best friend Chunk today

I lost my hunting buddy this morning at 1:30 am. He waited until I got home from work to pass away. He was a big gentle boy that had a serious fight with cancer in 2011 which required him to lose a portion of his lower jaw (squimas cell carcinoma), it took him out of the field trial games and most hunting too. He became a therapy dog instead which was wonderful for both of us. I took him to the vet on Monday night because he went from being fine to not being able to walk in less than an hour. The vet did blood work which was normal then he took an x ray of his abdomen and found a mass. The vet didn't think that my boy would live through the night so I put him on my bed next to me in his favorite spot and told him how much I loved him and thanked him for being in my life. The next morning he was back to normal which I couldn't believe after the way he was just 12 hours before. I asked the vet to please do whatever they could to try and save my boy. They opened him up and found that a tumor was attached to his spleen and when they started gently moving the tumor his spleen tore in pieces. They hurried up and stopped the bleeding and removed the tumor and his spleen and they thought he had a good chance at surviving. He came home with me Tuesday night and was ok through yesterday ( eating, drinking and going potty with no problem ) so I figured it was ok to go to work, new job and no vacation available to take or use. I had my family checking in on him and they said he was doing good other than he had diaharea. When I got home from work at around 12:30 am and let him out he was very weak, his gums were white and his pupils were very large. I called the vet right away but they said that they couldn't do anything at 2 am and they said he wasn't going to make it by what I had described to them. I held him close and cried my eyes out and told him it was ok to go be with god and that I would miss him more than words could ever say he passed away at 1:30 this morning in my arms. He may not have been a field champion but he was a champion to me. I think that he waited until I got home to be with him and say goodbye. God took him from me on my birthday today so I would always remember this day . He was the closest thing that I have ever had to having a child. Chunk daddy loves and misses you very much. Your in a better place without pain or cancer. Someday buddy we will be hunting together again.
    Last edited by yellowlabfan; 12-12-2013 at 04:16 PM.
    Tom Blumer

I am so sorry. Yes, he was a champion. No doubt about it.
    Rest well, Chunk. You did good, your entire life.
    Charlotte Kaiser: " The Problem Lies In The Talent."

waterworks for you and your boy... I said goodbye to my best friend a few years ago in my arms... If we are so blessed they will all leave us feeling so much love.

I wrote this for a friend but it is for ALL labs... and reading that your boy was not a “Field Champion” promoted me to share... I hope you find some peace and some smiles thinking about the memories you made. - Danielle

Over the Bridge
    by: Danielle R. Pellicci
    In honor of FC AFC Badger State Ram Kicker

There is a place in Heaven, just outside the pearly gate
    Where all the great retrievers get to work, and play, and wait ...

The marks are long but in this place our retrievers never tire.
    Where patient angel trainers smile, when a dog breaks on a flyer.

There is a place in Heaven just over that rainbow bridge.
    The air is warm, the water’s cool and the sun reflects off a soft grass ridge.

No Field Champions, No Master Hunters .... All retrievers are the same
    They all KICK UP DIRT They all PIN THE MARKS when sent on “back” or hear their name.

There is a place in Heaven, where retrievers work, and play, and rest ...
    They stay strong and fit, and never hurt.... Forever at their best.

And at this place in Heaven where our great retrievers go.... You’ll wait for me.... so patiently... and I’ll find you there I KNOW.
    Danielle R. Pellicci
    http://www.blackFootkennels.com
    Home of:
    SPICE, MH (11) CD RA NA (OA2) NAJ
    (FC AFC “Cori” X Malli QAA)
    FEATHER, MH QAA
    (FC AFC “Kicker” X “Spice” MH CD RA NA NAJ)
    PENNY, CD BN SH (RN2)
    (FC AFC CAFC “Copper” X “Faith” MH QAA)
    CAPPY
    (2XNAFC FC AFC “Ram” X “Cree”)
    HALO
    (FC AFC “Kicker” X“Spice” MH CD RA NA NAJ)
    TORCH
    (HRCH “Ticket” MH X“Penny” CD BN SH)
    &
    RIP: Rhumbline’s Guinness is Good, JH... Miss you every day "Big Man"

My sincerest condolences to you.
    Home of CH Shallcross Lake's Chaamp MH RA WDQ CGC
    Shallcross Lake's Little Rascal MH
    Shallcross Lake's Delaware Diva JH
    Four Star Molly MH
    Bob Louie

Field Champions of the Heart are the best kind. So sorry for your loss. Only other dog people can understand.

My thoughts are with you. Hemangiosarcoma (sounds like this is what the mass was) is at least fairly fast, and you did get two years after the first cancer. I know its never enough, though. May your pain be short and your good memories long. Field Champions of the Heart is a great expression.
    Chuck

Sorry to hear, our condolences
    HRC- Our season never ends

"Shoot fast or shoot last"

HR UH Nilsson's on a wing n a prayer SH WCX

God bless you and your boy, it's never easy but he is in a better place.

Thank you everyone for your kind words and the wonderful poem. I lost my only child before birth in 2001 which left a huge hole in my heart and when I got my lab Chunk he helped heal a broken heart and taught me what unconditional love truly was.
    Tom Blumer

Very sorry about your dog. Sounds like he was special.