The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Millennials...

Default Millennials...

Or generation Y as they are sometimes called. There is a lot on the internet and social media these days concerning the generation of our kids and grandkids. I'll not link. There is enough out there to find for yourself. I don't want at this point to make generalizations or assumptions that might be interpreted as my "agenda".
    What are your thoughts about the generation of young adults about to have probable significant influence in the upcoming elections in our country and worldwide?

I'll leave it at that. I will respond if discussion evolves without personal attacks JD

Snarkiness permitted...
    Last edited by JDogger; 12-13-2013 at 07:02 PM.
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

My 22 year old son won't consider signing up. I asked him why he wasn't interested in Obamacare... He said he's still on O'mamacare. (Still in college in Alaska where his mom lives).

The Dems made it so they can stay on their parents insurance till age 26. Unless the parents lose the insurance, why should the kid goof and pay more if they are still in school?

BTW... I think it's ridiculous to call a 22 or 26 year old man a child... Especially my own.
    Last edited by huntinman; 12-12-2013 at 07:51 PM.
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post
    Or generation Y as they are sometimes called. There is a lot on the internet and social media these days concerning the generation of our kids and grandkids. I'll not link. There is enough out there to find for yourself. I don't want at this point to make generalizations or assumptions that might be interpreted as my "agenda".
    What are your thoughts about the generation of young adults about to have probable significant influence in the upcoming elections in our country and worldwide?

I'll leave it at that. I will respond if discussion evolves without personal attacks JD

Snarkiness permitted...
    JD,
    I think the "Millenials" have a unique set of circumstances facing them we can't really comprehend.

I wish them good luck in cleaning up our mess.

I pity my grand kids...........I really do!
    Last edited by road kill; 12-13-2013 at 07:58 AM.

Just more of the moral decline of America, brought to you by a government that is currently pushing class separation and Marxism.
    The largest majority of these up and coming children have given up already. I operate a tier 1 automotive parts manufacturing plant with around 600 employees. We just hired 150 new people for a program launch building instrument panels. It's just amazing the young people that get hired and don't make the probation period. Either for failing to pass a drug or failing to come to work. Over 500 people hired just to 150 people. Just a complete lack of work ethic.
    As this pertains to my above statement of government. These young people feel their entitled and don't have to work. When I asked one what are you going to do without a job she said I'll just go on full welfare, I already have a food stamp card and a free phone, and my housing is paid for. All I could say was good luck.
    One good thing that’s coming from this. Is that if this type of government entitlement stops the young people that have a little ambition and put forth some effort will go very far in life.
    Cold Creek Gundogs
    The more I'm on the internet the more I love my dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    JD,
    I think the "Millenials" have a unique set of circumstances facing them we can't really comprehend.

I wish them good luck in cleaning up our mess.

I pity my grand kids...........I really do!
    Kids today live in a different society than the one we grew up in. I do not envy them one bit. Pay is lower, everything costs more, and they have less of a work ethic than ever before. More kids are staying home and living off of mom and day than ever before.

My kids moved out when they were 18. Have good lives and work hard. Did they struggle when they moved out, yes they did. Did they learn to survive and deal with adversity. Yes they did.

Time for kids to take the bull by the horn. Learn current events and become active in society no matter which side of the fence they fall on politically.

Richard
    Last edited by Down East Labs 217; 12-13-2013 at 11:44 AM. Reason: changed thought

Quote Originally Posted by Down East Labs 217 View Post
    Kids today live in a different society than the one we grew up in. I do not envy them one bit. Pay is lower, everything costs more, and they have less of a work ethic than ever before. More kids are staying home and living off of mom and day than ever before.

My kids moved out when they were 18. Have good lives and work hard. Did they struggle when they moved out, yes they did. Did they learn to survive and deal with adversity. Yes they did.

Time for kids to take the bull by the horn. Learn current events and become active in society no matter which side of the fence they fall on politically.

Richard
    Couldn't agree with you more.
    But as long as the government is promoting entitlement programs. It's only going to get worse. The sad part is that it's not that hard to fix. Fix the trade defict and bring back manufacturing jobs to this country.
    Cold Creek Gundogs
    The more I'm on the internet the more I love my dogs.

I went back and highlighted my question in the OP. I'm not interested in "Darn these kids,anyway, responses". "They have no work ethic, responses".
    They are the largest demographic since the boomers, and we are shrinking.
    I'll restate the question.
    What effect do you see from a generation, of those born from the early 80's thru the early 2000's, post 9-11, post ecomonic melt-down? How do you see them voting in 2014 and 2016?
    Last edited by JDogger; 12-13-2013 at 07:28 PM.
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

My daughter will be 17 in 2016. Knowing her, if she was 18, she would get out and vote. I know this because she has already expressed disappointment that she'll only isa voting by a few months. Her friends seem to have the same values that she does.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

I'll bite.
    i believe when they come out of their self absorbed haze of x box, face book, they will finally figure out the game out. They will be the lost generation who voted themselves into poverty by following the false profit Jug Ears.
    Just Win

Hugh, my exposure to the younger generations skips the "Millenals". My kids are early 40's and the grandkids are 4-9. I know how my kids think. One can only hope that they pass along those values and ideas to their kids. It worked for Kathy and I. I bet it does for them as well.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth