The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Millennials...

Quote Originally Posted by swampcollielover View Post
    Most of them will not vote...combination of disillusionment with our Government and to busy with themselves. Two groups that are exception to this, are those that have been on welfare, food stamps, and other government support....they will vote to keep the gravy train coming, the other group that will vote is those that serve in the military, they of course will vote with the Republican candidate to try and keep funding for the military strong.

At least from a guy who has 3 kids born between 1970 and 1978...and 5 grand kids, two of which that are 17...
    so I guess I would be a millennial. A lot of my friends and aquaintances are economically conservative. They know that you can't spend more than you make. Most of them are pretty mad when they see taxes out of their first paycheck. But come election time the socially conservative stances and military worship of the republicans turn them off. So you either vote democrat or not at all.

What turns me off to the republicans is their sacred cow of the military. There is so much waste that happens, but if you cut spending, the pentagon puts it on programs that affect the troops instead of stopping creation of a fighter jet that will never be used. They could close bases around the world and they could stop fighting endless wars. Instead they put the bulk of the cuts on the troops and then the news goes wild with stories about how they put their lives on the line for us and how we can never cut anything from the military or families will starve and alqeada will hit us non stop.

Right now we have a big inefficient military. I would rather have a small efficient military that is run like any other business. republicans should walk the talk and actually cut military spending and maybe then democrats would cut entitlements. I don't think either of those will happen.

[QUOTE=swampcollielover;1171699]Most of them will not vote...combination of disillusionment with our Government and to busy with themselves. Two groups that are exception to this, are those that have been on welfare, food stamps, and other government support....they will vote to keep the gravy train coming, the other group that will vote is those that serve in the military, they of course will vote with the Republican candidate to try and keep funding for the military strong.

At least from a guy who has 3 kids born between 1970 and 1978...and 5 grand kids, two of which that are 17...[/QUOTE]

By definition they are not part of the millennial generation
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Most of them will not vote...combination of disillusionment with our Government and to busy with themselves. Two groups that are exception to this, are those that have been on welfare, food stamps, and other government support....they will vote to keep the gravy train coming, the other group that will vote is those that serve in the military, they of course will vote with the Republican candidate to try and keep funding for the military strong.

At least from a guy who has 3 kids born between 1970 and 1978...and 5 grand kids, two of which that are 17...
    http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/mil...han-you-think/

Might want to re-think the Republican military idea......
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

So very many different perspectives on this next generation! So many forces working on them to shape them into the their middle years!

Don't remember the source of this quote: "If you are young and aren't a liberal, you don't have a heart. If you get older and aren't a conservative, you don't have a brain."

Those between 18 and 25 depend very heavily on emotional, often impulsive, responses. Just read recently that it has to do with certain brain chemistry in that time of life in humans. This is at least partly why the D message works so well with them, as the message relies heavily on emotion. Things like, "If you don't want regulation, you want dirty air and dirty water." That is based on an emotional response, not a measured assessment of degrees and balancing pros and cons.

But many of these young people are also intelligent. At some point their parents will be gone, and they will have to be responsible for themselves. They have been smart enough to figure out that the PR for O-care didn't match up with reality. Support for the present administration has taken a big hit with these young people (according to multiple polls). So, in the near future their voting patterns may begin to change slightly. It may take a few more voting cycles, as these young people mature further, before we can see the gradual change accumulating.

Since these young people will have experienced, first-hand, what does NOT work, they may acquire a good handle on what can make for a better outcome?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by mudminnow View Post
    so I guess I would be a millennial. A lot of my friends and aquaintances are economically conservative. They know that you can't spend more than you make. Most of them are pretty mad when they see taxes out of their first paycheck. But come election time the socially conservative stances and military worship of the republicans turn them off. So you either vote democrat or not at all.

What turns me off to the republicans is their sacred cow of the military. There is so much waste that happens, but if you cut spending, the pentagon puts it on programs that affect the troops instead of stopping creation of a fighter jet that will never be used. They could close bases around the world and they could stop fighting endless wars. Instead they put the bulk of the cuts on the troops and then the news goes wild with stories about how they put their lives on the line for us and how we can never cut anything from the military or families will starve and alqeada will hit us non stop.

Right now we have a big inefficient military. I would rather have a small efficient military that is run like any other business. republicans should walk the talk and actually cut military spending and maybe then democrats would cut entitlements. I don't think either of those will happen.
    OK you say your a millennial. What do you feel the government or up coming government needs to do to improve the country for you and your peers? Because your going to be the ones left paying the tab. What changes would you like to see?
    Last edited by Golden Boy; 12-18-2013 at 11:13 AM.
    Cold Creek Gundogs
    The more I'm on the internet the more I love my dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by mudminnow View Post

MM..I share your concern with the lack of efficiency of our military, but let's be honest, Government by definition runs nothing efficiently...sad but true. You did not live through the cold war days as an adult, and the many wars we have fought over the years. I have disagreed with most of the wars after WWII, but not with the Men and Women who fight. They deserve the very best we can give them for going into battle and after the battle. The only way this can happen is if we make the military the best funded military in the world, anything less will cost lives of the Men and Women on the front lines. A necessary inefficiency and deterrent to those who wish to hurt us.

Don't forget that when Democrats cut military spending, they do not cut taxes or cut the deficit they spend the money on entitlement programs...

The place to protest is not in the voting both....not voting, or voting for a 3rd party only elects the party you really do not want in office!

At least that is one man's opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post

Paul...thanks. Good article, although they admittedly do not have a lot of good data bout the voting of the troops, just general assumptions made by newspaper polling. The biggest comment I know to be true here is the fact that the ballets from the military are commonly delayed and do not get counted....that my friend is unacceptable....

[QUOTE=JDogger;1171706]

At least from a guy who has 3 kids born between 1970 and 1978...and 5 grand kids, two of which that are 17...[/QUOTE]

By definition they are not part of the millennial generation

That is exactly why I offered that information.....DAAAAA! Doesn't mean I do not have a perspective....!

Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post

Hey Paul, don't confuse Swamp with facts. He doesn't like em or need em!!

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Boy View Post
    OK you say your a millennial. What do you feel the government or up coming government needs to do to improve the country for you and your peers? Because your going to be the ones left paying the tab. What changes would you like to see?
    Massive decrease in size and scope of Federal Government. More power to the states. Massive cuts to our military and entitlements. We should have a department of defense not offense. Protection of civil liberties. Sound currency.