RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Roomba - dog hair problems gone

17K views 49 replies 28 participants last post by  Aleksksks 
#1 · (Edited)
I know this a more of a product review (move if need be) but I just wanted to let all of you know that dog hair is no longer a problem in my house! We have 2 black labs who shed a lot. We've had the Roomba pet series robot vacuum from for a couple of weeks now and I couldn't be more pleased so far. It does a great job getting around, in between, and under funiture, wires, you name it. It's pretty neat to see it work. It's quiet too (much, much quieter than a normal vacuum). We run it about 3x per week and are happy.

Anyway, for those sick of dog hair, it's something to look into for Christams. We'll see how well it holds up but I'm pleased with it so far.

#6 ·
I've got both carpet and hardwood and it does fine on both and make the transition from one to the other just fine. Stops at stairs so it doesn't tumble. It does really work (at least for the first two weeks) and well worth it. I got mine at Costco for $330. That's the best deal I found on them.

#7 ·
I bought one and it is awesome. Being disabled I can't push the vacuum or mop around very easily. Hoping to buy the Scooba in January, does mopping for you.

#10 ·
So I've bumped this thread because I'm seriously considering getting one of these and I know several RTFers have them - what model do you have, how are they holding up? My research shows that the older models had issues with hair tangling them, etc. but the newer one seems to have resolved the issues.

Also curious how often do you run it? How long does it take to clean a room?

Lastly, we have multiple levels and was considering also getting a second home base for it, does anyone else have that setup? Keep a home base upstairs, one downstairs and just relocate the Roomba as needed, just curious if it would get confused with multiple home bases? Figured it's cheaper than buying multiple Roombas.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

#11 ·
#13 ·
Sharon, which models?

#14 ·
Sue,

what I've read is the 880/870 have changed the "rollers" and they no longe have bristles which reduced/removed the problem with it getting tangled with hair/string and needing to be cleaned every so often. All except the corner sweeper thingie...the 870 is a smidge cheaper. I've been doing a LOT of traveling for work and have a little extra $ thanks to per diem, figured I'd splurge a little?? And if it keeps me from pushing a regular vaccumm then I'm all for it!

#22 ·
And if it keeps me from pushing a regular vaccumm then I'm all for it!
I thought the bird boy did the vacuuming? :)

#16 ·
The one we had several years ago was worthless. If it managed to pick up the hair, it filled up so fast with hair and dirt that you had to be there to empty the thing all the time.

Based on the comments here they have improved quite a bit?? We have a central vac but that still means I have to push the thing around.

Meredith

#17 ·
We have one and it is great. I will not say it eliminates vacuuming but it does help to know down all of the yellow hairs on our dark hardwood floors. Now if I could just get him to quit with that prostatic drip spots all over the place. Costco is/was the cheapest place to find a roomba. Go ahead on order some more of the little brush things because they break off pretty easily tho.

#21 ·
We have one. Not sure on the model it was a Christmas gift. They do work well. When we first got it I had a Brittany Spaniel and my wife has a lab mix (my Brittany passed away and now we have a yellow lab and the lab mix) The longer hair for the Brittany seemed to fill up the reservoir quicker but nonetheless it still worked well on the hard wood floors and tile for sure. Just my opinion, they're great but we still have to use a regular vacuum and a swiffer from time to time. I don't think you can ONLY use the Roomba all the time.

Tony

#23 ·
I'm just looking to reduce the hair. And something to do a better job under things. And for me or Mike not to have to vacuum all the time. I have one dog blowing and three more to start soon I'm sure!

#27 ·
We have a Roomba - its a couple of years old. What we love most about it is that it'll chase down those dog hair tumbleweeds under the furniture. It does a more than decent job on the hair but fills up quick and does take awhile to run the room. It hasn't near replaced the Kirby's performance, but we do run it when someone(s) blowing coats. Yep, yep - the mopping one - Scooba. There intro'ed a new one that's supposed to be awesome a couple of months ago. Going to try one of those next.

Bought myself a present for my office that I tend to use more than any of the others combined: an EyeVac. We have hardwood floors in the office and all five dogs tend to hang out in here the most. Real easy to keep up with the messes (dirt, leaves, dog hair, and plenty of miscellaneous) with a broom and the EyeVac. It'll suck up anything and holds a ton.

And if you're going to go steam cleaner for messes and smells, invest in a Rug Doctor. We've killed off several Bissells and Hoovers and ended up having to rent a Rug Doctor most the time anyway. The Floor Attachment is awesome - that puppy took the floors to a new level of clean around here. Still want the Scooba for maintenance though.

#29 ·
Quick Note on the Roomba.

We have had and loved them for dog hair..

3 years ago, we had 2 older Labs that had free run of the house...

Apparently one of them got an upset tummy, and pooped on the tile floor.

The roomba found it.

It was sitting in the middle of it making the "Uh-Oh" noise.

"Uh Oh" didnt even cover the level of destruction.

Cleaning up dog poop in the house is bad enough....

Attempting to salvage a $300 Roomba in the dog poop was a whole 'nother level of awful

#30 ·
Quick Note on the Roomba.

pparently one of them got an upset tummy, and pooped on the tile floor.

The roomba found it.

It was sitting in the middle of it making the "Uh-Oh" noise.

"Uh Oh" didnt even cover the level of destruction.

Cleaning up dog poop in the house is bad enough....

Attempting to salvage a $300 Roomba in the dog poop was a whole 'nother level of awful
OMG! That is hysterical!!! Though, I'm so, so sorry! I'd be puking right along with you cleaning that mess up!! Thanks for the laugh!

Now, the question is....how do I convince my bird/bucket boy to spend the dollars.....he's so dang tight...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.