The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game recipes

Default Game recipes

It seemed like a good time of year to start a thread of our favorite wild game recipes. Let's see 'em!

Goose- cut 2 breasts into 3/4" cubes and brown ONLY in butter DO NOT COOK. Set the goose aside. Sautee 6 oz of mushrooms, 1/8 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper until browned and tender. Set these aside, also.
    Stir-fry bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, baby corn and green pepper in a wok or large skillet at med high heat in 1 oz of oil for 3 minutes. Add the goose and mushrooms. continue at high heat for 1 1/2 minutes. stir gently but continuously. add 3 oz of teriyaki sauce , 1 oz of soy sauce and 1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger . Remove from heat. Continue to stir for 30 seconds to mix sauce evenly. Serve with long grain and wild rice mix. ENJOY!!!!!

Duck- 2 breasts per person. using a meat hammer, between plastic wrap to contain splatter,pound breasts out to 3/8" thick. make a seasoning using 1/2 teaspoon of celery salt, 1/2 teaspoon of fresh ground pepper, 1/2 cup of italian beadcrumbs and 2 teaspoons of parsley flakes. mix well. sparsely coat breasts with oil and rub with seasoning. Let stand for 1 hour in refrigerator. Sautee in oil for 1 minute each side on medium-high heat. if you have a big group to feed, put them in a cool 150 degree oven while you make the sauce. This is for 4 breasts, adjust volumes accordingly to accomodate larger groups. on low heat, Melt 1/2 stick of butter and add 1/4 teaspoon thyme, 1/2 teaspoon of minced garlic and 1/2 teaspoon of fresh ground pepper. stir to mix. bring heat up to medium (do not burn butter!) and add 1 cup of Marsala wine. Reduce by half while whisking continuously. Pour sauce over breasts and serve with baked potato and fresh baby carrots and /or green beans.

These are my favorite 2 recipes!!!!-Paul
    Last edited by paul young; 12-13-2013 at 08:26 AM.
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

I will be trying both of those. I do backstrap the same way you do the Duck minus the sauce. Usually serve it with Red or White Beans and Rice. But I will be trying that sauce.

Blue Bell duck fingers, cut breast into strip size pieces, melt vanilla Blue Bell ice cream in a bowl, dip all pieces in the bowl then take a 1 gallon freezer bag with flour, drop duck fingers into bag and shake. Then just fry 'em up and eat. Sometimes I double dip the breasts too. My girls love these!

Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    It seemed like a good time of year to start a thread of our favorite wild game recipes. Let's see 'em!

Goose- cut 2 breasts into 3/4" cubes and brown ONLY in butter DO NOT COOK. Set the goose aside. Sautee 6 oz of mushrooms, 1/8 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper until browned and tender. Set these aside, also.
    Stir-fry bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, baby corn and green pepper in a wok or large skillet at med high heat in 1 oz of oil for 3 minutes. Add the goose and mushrooms. continue at high heat for 1 1/2 minutes. stir gently but continuously. add 3 oz of teriyaki sauce , 1 oz of soy sauce and 1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger . Remove from heat. Continue to stir for 30 seconds to mix sauce evenly. Serve with long grain and wild rice mix. ENJOY!!!!!

Duck- 2 breasts per person. using a meat hammer, between plastic wrap to contain splatter,pound breasts out to 3/8" thick. make a seasoning using 1/2 teaspoon of celery salt, 1/2 teaspoon of fresh ground pepper, 1/2 cup of italian beadcrumbs and 2 teaspoons of parsley flakes. mix well. sparsely coat breasts with oil and rub with seasoning. Let stand for 1 hour in refrigerator. Sautee in oil for 1 minute each side on medium-high heat. if you have a big group to feed, put them in a cool 150 degree oven while you make the sauce. This is for 4 breasts, adjust volumes accordingly to accomodate larger groups. on low heat, Melt 1/2 stick of butter and add 1/4 teaspoon thyme, 1/2 teaspoon of minced garlic and 1/2 teaspoon of fresh ground pepper. stir to mix. bring heat up to medium (do not burn butter!) and add 1 cup of Marsala wine. Reduce by half while whisking continuously. Pour sauce over breasts and serve with baked potato and fresh baby carrots and /or green beans.

These are my favorite 2 recipes!!!!-Paul
    Paul,

Let me know when but I'll supply a few bottles of some good wine to go with the dinner! Happy holidays!

Chris
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Brownstone's Harley- "Harley" 7/29/2009 (By CH Woodhull's Roger That)
    Maple Hill's Ella Enchanted- "Ella" 8/30/2011 (By FC AFC Land Ahoy)

Flying Prime Rib;

Goose breasts. Marinate in Worscheshire sauce, pepper and salt. To cook; slap on hot grill. Cook rare. Hold breasts in fairly warm bowl of au jus for 5 minutes. Do not make it hot. Want to serve breasts very pink. Garnish with in horseradish. Serve au jus for dipping.

I like the DU fresca chili recipe (in the DU cook book), but with modifications.

I slow cook the goose cubes in apple juice and 2-3 garlic cloves until tender. Then I follow the standard recipe with the following exceptions: I don't cook the goose any more, and I add some chocolate and some honey near the end of the cooking time; I cut the cooking time by half (due to cubes already having been cooked).
    HR Surrey's Space Dog Nala

The best long range duck load is a well trained retriever - Nash Buckingham

Default Stuffed duck breast

4 duck/goose 1/2 breasts. lay breast flat and make slice with a sharp knife from front to back but not completely through, a cut to stuff a piece of meat.
    Make a marinade out of :
    1/2 cup of soy
    1/2 stick of real butter
    1 tsp of ground ginger
    1/2 cup of orange marmalade
    1 tsp of chili flakes and place breasts in for 2 hours then remove

stuff duck breast with cream cheese and chopped jalapeno peppers (1 1/2 tbl spoon), then dredge duck breast with corn starch. Brown in butter in med hot skillet for 2 to 3 minutes and remove, ( Do Not Over CooK)
    bring remainder of marinade to a slow boil, reduce by half and set aside.
    place breasts in glass dish and cover with remaining marinade, let sit for 5 minutes, and serve.
    Last edited by Jay Brown; 12-13-2013 at 10:40 AM. Reason: adding info

Default Corned goose

This is a recipe I that I like to do with geese

4 goose breast pieces (from 2 birds) or a 3-5 lb venison roast

2 quarts water

1/2 cup canning or pickling salt

1/2 cup tender quick salt (this is a curing salt which contains nitrates and should not be substituted for food safety reasons, color and taste. A common brand is Morten Tender Quick)

5-6 whole peppercorns or 1 T. cracked black pepper

3 T. sugar

2-3 T. pickling spice

6 crushed garlic cloves

1 T. thyme (optional)

1 t. crushed red pepper flakes (optional)

Bring the water, salt, sugar, and spices to a boil for a few minutes (all of the ingredients except the goose!) and then remove from heat and allow to return to room temperature or colder. Place the boneless, skinless goose breasts in a glass, ceramic or plastic container that is large enough to hold the goose with a few inches of head space. Do not use a metal container. Pour the cooled brining liquid over the goose meat to cover it. Cover the container with a lid or plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 5-7 days, turning the meat occasionally. Remove the goose meat from the brine and cook it in a crock pot or dutch oven by covering the meat with clean water and allowing it to simmer for 3-5 hours until tender. Cut it into thin slices for serving with mustard or sauerkraut.
    HRC- Our season never ends

"Shoot fast or shoot last"

HR UH Nilsson's on a wing n a prayer SH WCX

I shoot mostly geese and have found handling it pretty much like lean beef works well. I like the various stir fry recipes.

But for my family Christmas party I was asked to cook up some goose for the buffet, thinking a recipe that can withstand well-done probably in a crock pot. What do you all think of a stroganoff? Anybody have a good one?

Thanks!

I do crock pot goose covered in water with beef bouillon mix and cook until it pulls apart. drain and add bbq sauce-- pulled goose
    HRC- Our season never ends

"Shoot fast or shoot last"

HR UH Nilsson's on a wing n a prayer SH WCX