The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upland series at the Grand

The boxes have helped with birds that just won't plant well, when a dog and handler reach that point in the grand the last thing you want is to spend more time than needed looking for a bird that has flushed wild. If a bird is trapped, which isn't too often, the bird planter will dizzy another bird and plant in another area of cover.
    I would like to see natural plants and flushes but I truly understand why the use the boxes. The intent is that the bird is walking away from the box when the dog gets into the scent cone and we can watch a natural flush.
    At our local hunt we are blessed with very good bird planters from the spaniel world and we always have natural plants without baskets, pop boxes or the boxes, which we don't own any of the latter. We have a bird planter that will follow the judges and handler and if we get traps the bird planters change the way they plant the birds. A bird that is planted too hard or in too heavy a cover will not be able to escape a fast flushing dog and that is what we are testing not a pointing dog, so if they point you better be able to encourage them to move in and engage the bird or you are out.
    Margo Ellis

“Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life.” ~ Annie Oakley
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
    ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

In All Thy Ways Acknowledge Him And He Shall Direct Thy Paths. Proverbs 3:6

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Flint View Post
    Is it typical to see baskets/launchers used?
    Dave,

Wish I could tell you BUT I DIDN'T EVEN GET TO SEE A MARK AT THE GRAND! Good luck at the Grand. You can have my spot it is vacant.

Lonnie Spann
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).

The baskets and launchers help keep the dogs from catching them. If you have limited time you don't want a lot of repeat runs. I don't see a big problem with the baskets as the dog smells the bird and goes in for the flush. Using a launcher the dog may not smell the bird before it is launched and another negative for the launcher is that the dog doesn't have to make the bird flush.

I was under the mistaken impression that it was a test to evaluate upland hunting retrievers. I have come to understand it's just a steadiness test so I guess it doesn't matter. I think they should use dead birds though to speed things up & save money since that's the reason I've heard for the baskets or launchers.
    "The bird hunter watches only the dog, and always knows where the dog is, whether or not visible at the moment. The dog’ nose is the bird hunters eye. Many hunters who carry a shotgun in season have never learned to watch the dog, or interpret his reaction to scent."
    Aldo Leopold, Round River

I've seen both baskets and launchers used. It depends on how the birds are flying or if they are just running. They can be a help and they can also be a problem at times. Just depends on the day.

If they are concerned about birds running off try these : http://www.birdbreaster.com/product.sc?productId=2 . Placing birds in baskets and launchers is an excellent way to ruin a dog's flush and start it pointing. Running a little piece of duct tape between the birds legs would also work.