The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What caused my pup to get Cold Tail ?

Default What caused my pup to get Cold Tail ?

She's in excellent shape, Trains a minimum of 4 days a week, hunted for 3 days 2 weeks ago, and only made 18 easy retrieves over those 3 days.

We left yesterday morning to hunt the river due to everything being froze up here, although temps were cold in morning it warmed up to 45 by lunch, The hunting was terrible, she never made a retrieve yesterday! and never was in water no deeper than her stomach, We rode around in the boat a little and scouted, and other than her running around on some islands and mud flats she did not get any more active than just a normal day playing in the yard.

She rode inside the truck with us on the way down, and slept inside on the bed with me last night in the cabin, it actually was a easy laid back day, done more sitting around, and boat riding than anything.

We all woke up this morning, and as soon as I let her out to air I noticed her tail was pinned to her rump, then as she came back up to cabin, her tail has that classic 2 to 3 inches straight out from base, then straight down from there look. She showed signs of not being able to get comfortable on the way home in the truck as well, but no real severe pain.
    I had some remidayl left over from her leg surgery when she was a pup that I keep in her first aid kit I carry hunting with us, and gave her a dose early this morning. Also everyone reccomends Boswellia for prevention, but she has been on this for months to help with inflammation from her leg injury during her rehab, and I have contiunued to give it to her since as a prevenative measure ! So she already has that in her system for a while now.

Just courious if any of ya'll have had a dog come up with limp tail for no apparent reason ?

I have her crated now and resting, any other tips to heal her up ?
    "MAC"
    SHR Mac's Scars To Prove It (Josie)

Dogs don't even have to get wet to have cold tail.....it just happens
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

I was under the understanding that it was brought on mostly by over work, or over work of a dog that's out of shape ? I could understand if she made a bunch of retrieves, or had been worked hard, but like my first post says yesterday was a very laid back day.
    On a side note I went out to air and feed her, and she already seems alot better, going to give her a few days a rest and re-evaluate her before returning to training.
    "MAC"

I understand it's cold and fatigue. I have never seen it personally but a buddy has problems with his lab.
    I have a 1/2 breed lab, no problems.
    2 DD's and no problems.
    I wonder if it is more breed specific?
    Is it seen more in long tail dogs and not in bob tailed dogs?
    Don

It's hard to say what will bring it on.

I have one that has had it several times.

Sometimes, it's happened multiple times in the same year.
    And sometimes, like this year, it hasn't happened at all. And it has been really, really, really cold this year.

Once, he got it on a warm day in Sept, after nothing more than getting a little mud hosed off with the garden hose.
    Last edited by copterdoc; 12-14-2013 at 09:08 AM.

Just a thought but dogs use their tail for balance, riding in a boat might require some balancing effort???
    Some days your the dog, some days your the hydrant!

Very true ! this was her first boat ride, maybe that is it ?
    "MAC"

How long was she in that water up to her stomach? I have always been told not to let my dog just sit/stand in cold water for any length of time.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

Just a second or two when we crossed a deeper spot to get to the bank into some brush to set up our temporary blind, she was on dry ground most of day, and healed up or laying down next to me in the blind.
    "MAC"

Quote Originally Posted by flipinnpitchin View Post
    Just a second or two when we crossed a deeper spot to get to the bank into some brush to set up our temporary blind, she was on dry ground most of day, and healed up or laying down next to me in the blind.
    Well that should not have caused it then, or at least was not the sole reason. When she was on the (cold) dry ground, did she have something between her rear and the ground? If not, you might consider trying that the next couple times you go out and see if that makes any difference at all.

Sometimes they just get it. Mine has had it before in the summer from riding home in his box basically sitting on a bag of ice. At least that's what I blame it on when it's 90 degrees outside. I'll place the bag better next time for sure.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"