The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: What potentially unique things do you teach your puppies

Default What potentially unique things do you teach your puppies

Steve had me thinking about things we teach young pups as foundations for field work later...

I taught my latest pup to "focus" as a detection dog would before being sent to retriever. Seems to keep the head swinging to a minimum sine she clearly understands "good" as a precursor to being released...

I also taught latest pup to "auto sit", meaning, when she sees a throw, she sits automatically instead of breaking for the retrieve. Not sure this would work with all dogs but this pup is very high drive and it doesn't seem to have caused any problems with popping or shutting down desire. In fact, in her case, making her wait only makes her higher.

She's 18 mos now and handle pretty well on land and in water. Needs more marking and a lot more work with terrain and factors to be ready for MH level testing. I've just been short on time for training group.

What "unique" or slightly out of the box things do you do with the wee ones and how does it seem to pan out down the line?
    Darrin Greene

Taught my last pup to run sight blinds to small white bumpers from a young age. Started at 3-4 months with obvious, fairly close retrieves and got to more distant complicated multiple retrieves.
    He learned to come out of the truck scanning the field for bumpers. It helped a lot with his marking and identifying guns in the field.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

John ... I do that as well! I call them “baby blinds” I will place a white bumper down in a particular place and then hold the pup in my arms pick him / her up and walk away ... when I turn back around the pup will lock on the white rather quick ... Then release on “back” SCREAMING out to grab it. After some repetitions ... the distance is very far and the puppy no longer needs to see it be placed on the ground... just confidence and GO on the word back. My method is a cross between a sight blind and a walk up blind as I often switch to orange or "hide" the bumper in light cover (as a walk up type only of course) as the pups start to catch on.

#2): I teach whistle sit at a great distance with young pups (typically resulting fast and furious sits for stylish eager pups) ... using a tennis ball and a chuck-it.

Come to think of it ... most of the stuff I do with puppies is “outside the box” ... LOL.
    Last edited by runnindawgz; 12-13-2013 at 06:27 PM.
    Danielle R. Pellicci
    http://www.blackFootkennels.com
    Home of:
    SPICE, MH (11) CD RA NA (OA2) NAJ
    (FC AFC “Cori” X Malli QAA)
    FEATHER, MH QAA
    (FC AFC “Kicker” X “Spice” MH CD RA NA NAJ)
    PENNY, CD BN SH (RN2)
    (FC AFC CAFC “Copper” X “Faith” MH QAA)
    CAPPY
    (2XNAFC FC AFC “Ram” X “Cree”)
    HALO
    (FC AFC “Kicker” X“Spice” MH CD RA NA NAJ)
    TORCH
    (HRCH “Ticket” MH X“Penny” CD BN SH)
    &
    RIP: Rhumbline’s Guinness is Good, JH... Miss you every day "Big Man"

Puppy casting with treats. Lots of fun!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

My dog is so smart I didn't even have to teach him one of his more unique skills. Mosby learned at a very young age to break into both the flight pen and the pigeon coop and catch his own flyers. Well, okay, they weren't exactly flying by the time he finished with them but that just gave me more birds for the freezer.
    mosby and pigeon 014.jpg
    I'm proud to say he has retained this skill and still performs it quite efficiently in adulthood.
    Don't bother to just be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself.
    William Faulkner

He got to where at 6-9 months old he would go "to the end of the field" whatever that was. Of course there was no controlling him or casting him. You had to count on him eventually seeing it. Put it on the side of a prominent mound or on a side hill. Water entries, re entries, cover changes and all.
    I plan on doing it with the next pup. It was probably just "him" but it was impressive what he would do as a very young dog.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

not that its unique, but for as long as I can remember we along with guys like Lanse, and the late Mr McFall have been lining our dogs to their feed bowls at a very young age( 4-6 months of age).I know that we have gotten into some good natured razzing as to whose dog did it first and at what age

But the last couple of young dogs we had we learned the use of a place board from Jim Dobbs...Kate picked up the concept literally in one afternoon on a cold snowy afternoon in the garage, Brig not as fast but finally got the hang of it..
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

I do place board for steadying and food bowls with place board for 3 handed casting. Hide it games with toys and treats. Mini blinds with toys. Most of my pups were food driven and could figure out any game if a treat was involved.

Dawn
    mostlygold
    Terrill's Mr Butch CDX TT; Terrill's Adalay CD TD; Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HR WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade CDX MH WCX CCA VC

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.