The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Raw testicles after upland hunting!

Quote Originally Posted by Tonto View Post
    The last two times we were out upland hunting my Male gets out of the field with cherry red testicles that are very raw and irritated. I assume it is due to both the temperature and the rough cover. It does not affect him during the hunt but once we get home he seems extremely painful. I have seen some males that really suck their testicles up to the body but he carries his lower which is probably part of the problem. I give him a dose of Meloxicam to help with this but I want to help prevent this and the next day is is back to normal. I know that the easy fix is to Neuter him but this is not an option. I am going to try Utter Balm or Bag Balm to see if this helps. I am sure I am not the only person with this problem, can any one offer me advice on how to help him.
    My dog used to get this while grouse hunting. Never mind cherry red, they used to bleed from the rough brush we went through that included thorns. I applied the Vaseline before and during the hunt, several times. It helped a lot.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Quote Originally Posted by yellow machine View Post
    I think Bubba has had this issue before maybe he can give us a remedy.
    Gotta claim ignorance on this one. I have one simple rule- If you live with me ya gotta squat to pee. None of my dogs have any problems along this line. As for me - 2 words. Chinchilla underwear!!!

I would however suggest that you use some discretion as to where and when you apply protective balms to your dogs under gear- some things are hard to explain.

Jewelry protection is paramount regards

Bubba
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Gotta claim ignorance on this one. I have one simple rule- If you live with me ya gotta squat to pee. None of my dogs have any problems along this line. As for me - 2 words. Chinchilla underwear!!!

I would however suggest that you use some discretion as to where and when you apply protective balms to your dogs under gear- some things are hard to explain.

Jewelry protection is paramount regards

Bubba
    Penn, I think Bubba has spent some time at Chad Baker's house!

Please, Dear God, no pictures!
    Mioaks Southbound Sammy JH
    Leatherwood's Here's Your One Chance Fancy

"Luck is the residue of design"- Branch Rickey

Not sure there is a way to stop it - my lil girls "eye bones" suffered and would be bleeding after a half a day in thick milo. I too would cake on vaseline before a run....not really sure if it helped or not, but made me feel better.

My dogs sort've look like cold-war rejects after quail season, usually have a great case of facial hair loss, raw chests, swollen up eyes etc.Taking them to a hunt-test like that is highly entertaining . But for some reason the one thing they know how to take care of are those dangling things in back. I think I'll count myself lucky that I've never have to Vaseline up that area, I wonder how many hits a tape of that would get on you-tube
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Seem to have missed the part where you have to rub it off after hunting

I keep this handy for the eye wear and preventive: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=9674
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.

Quote Originally Posted by kjrice View Post
    I keep this handy for the eye wear and preventive: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=9674
    http://www.plastikote.com/products/T...ner-Spray.html

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    I was pretty sure Bubba preferred them fried, not raw.

Not sure.

Dooley, I did not see anyone in this thread giving any indication that they don't care about their dog.

John, what's the thing about Rocky Mountain Oysters? Are they fried?
    Yes they are and I have to say, after many years of not wanting any out of principle, I tried them and they reminded me of fried clams and they were good. Bruce's bar in Severenance, CO is a hot spot for fried RMO's
    An armed man is a citizen
    An unarmed man is a subject

Had them at DJ's Steakhouse in Pueblo, CO in September. They were really good.