The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: serious breeders.

Default serious breeders.

I have a bitch that I want to breed. The rumor has it, that they have to have, a natural breeding for the first breeding. I my opinion the best match for this dog is a AI. ( The male is no longer with us) First what is the best AI Surgical or Two vulva. I do not know if I have the terms right, but I need your experience.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by truthseeker View Post
    I have a bitch that I want to breed. The rumor has it, that they have to have, a natural breeding for the first breeding. I my opinion the best match for this dog is a AI. ( The male is no longer with us) First what is the best AI Surgical or Two vulva. I do not know if I have the terms right, but I need your experience.

Keith
    I would do a surgical AI with a VERY experienced reproduction vet. Be that as it may, the success of the technique depends on the comfort level of the reproduction vet, so ask that person what they feel would be the most effective.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Most of the time it is advised to do a "live cover" first to "make sure" the bitch is fertile or capable of becoming pregnant. It's a much cheaper alternative to do a "test litter" first. With frozen semen, you have the expense of testing, surgical implantation (required for frozen), and possible waste of a dead sire's breeding on a bitch that wouldn't get pregnant anyway. I'm sure there's plenty of people that have done first time breedings using frozen and been successful, and there's people that are still wondering WHY their "healthy" bitch can't conceive no matter what they do or test.
    High Tess JH
    Cedar Swamp's Linden JH
    Cedar Swamp's Cuttin a Rug
    Cedar Swamp's Holy Terror JH (3 SH passes)
    Blackfoot's Mr Independence at Cedar Swamp JH
    Cedar Swamp's Angel in Disguise
    Cedar Swamp's Test Pilot
    Cedar Swamp's Bonanza
    Cedar Swamp's Twisted Sister

Others have also graced our hearts...gone not forgotten.
    RC Buckshot of Seven Hickories MH
    Ceader Swamp's Deuces Wild SH
    Fallen Timber's Second Chance MH
    Ceader Swamp's Mac Millett SH
    and several others...

Talk to Dr. Butchko riverside Ca. (951) 686-2242 He and son specialize in reproduction. Plus they are easy on the wallet. about three hour drive from you.

Oh, and I have not had an issue with maiden bitches and frozen semen. Yes, there is always the possibility that bitches cannot conceive, but, I don't think it's as great as it's touted on the internet. To me, it's all about timing and placement, along with semen quality.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    Oh, and I have not had an issue with maiden bitches and frozen semen. Yes, there is always the possibility that bitches cannot conceive, but, I don't think it's as great as it's touted on the internet. To me, it's all about timing and placement, along with semen quality.
    In many breedings, I've never had any luck using frozen semen surgical AI with maiden bitches using repro vets with good success rates. I just won't frozen surgical anymore with a unproven female.
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella, Molly, and Piper

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

I have successfully used surgical with a maiden bitch. In fact, it just turned out that the three times she was bred, they all ended up surgical. No issues.

Meredith

I have had two failures, no successes using AI (TCI) on maiden bitches. Expensive and imo a good argument for live cover.

Amy Dahl

My maiden bitch had a surgical AI about 60 days ago and I am looking in a whelping with 6 puppies in it. Quality semen and a good repro vet is key.
    Wizardrheas Roxtar MH (Roxie)
    Hibrass' She's Gotcha All Choked Up (Briley) Born 12/14/2013
    Sophie ( Bed Bug Detection Beagle)
    Mariah's Sunshine Tess (3-30-2000 / 8-10-2012) RIP Old Girl

This isn't a social event!!! Get a dog on the line!!

I think it is bitch dependent too...some dominant bitches are not huge fans of anything/anyone near their hind end even in good heat. In those cases, trying to get a natural cover may get the bitch too worked up and limit success as well.

Knowing your bitch and your repro vet are key. We have had successful surgical ai (7 pups) and two natuaral breeding (3 pups each litter) with the same bitch. I think if we did it again with her we would go surgical for the reasons stated above.

Another bitch had a side by side transcervical ai which yeilded no pups on her first breeding. Side by side was done as she did not want the stud anywhere near her.

Another bitch had two successful natural breedings (10 and 8 pups), went to do a fresh chilled implant and yeilded no pups. We did another natural cover with her the cycle after she missed and had 10 pups.

So its kind of a crap shoot...it is nice to know that a bitch will care for pups before investing a lot of money. Surgical ai with frozen semen will probably cost $1000-$1200 in progesterone and the actual ai, so if you are willing to take the gamble go for it! If I breed the first two females I noted again, they will be surgical, but the third is likely to get the natural approach.