The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Puppy Growth

Default Puppy Growth

Hello I am getting my first lab, and it is now my time to pick. It was a very large litter of 12 choc pups (6 boys and 6 girls). There are two males that I like after seeing them. One was the first born and the other was 3rd born. At birth they were within an ounce of each other. In The following weeks the first born has consistently outgrown the other by many ounces. Now at week 5 there is about 24 oz difference between the two. Is this any cause for concern? Would this be any indication of size or just that one puppy is eating more than the other? I would prefer a 70-80lb dog vs 59-60. Both parents were around 75 to 80lbs.

You can look at bone structure, but that is about all you will be able to tell at that age from my experience. The bigger boned pups tend to mature to bigger where as the smaller boned pups tend to be a bit smaller and frailer. Outside of that, from the litters I have raised and seen pups later on its all a guess.
    ~Cortney Bally~

Home of:
    HRCH Fairwinds Bayou Boogie Woogie WCX MH *** (10/05)
    HRCH Elm Creek's' Koa WCX MH (07/07)
    HRCH Nebo's Uptown Girl MH *** (04/08)
    HR Bally's What Else But Hunt WCX SH *** (11/09)
    HR Bally's What Happens In Vegas WC SH *** (02/10)
    HR Bally's Swinging For The Fence SH *** (08/10)
    HRCH Bally's Best Blonde Joke JH (03/12)

Very typical but not an indicator of final weight. Odd that you have to make your selection when the pup is 5 weeks old. They are just developing personalities and to early to evaluate swimming, birdiness, retrieving, or other traits. Most breeders don't require puppy selection until 7 or 8 weeks old. Good luck.

Thats why I will always let the breeder pick for me. I do a bunch of research on the litter I want so I know I'd like any of them. Letting the breeder pick for me just means I don't worry about anything; I just tell them what I'm after, what my goals are, and forget about it till my puppy comes home. Whenever I see a bunch of adorable little puppies that is all I see... a bunch of adorable puppies... and I'd take them all if I could.

Quote Originally Posted by Marissa E. View Post
    Thats why I will always let the breeder pick for me. I do a bunch of research on the litter I want so I know I'd like any of them. Letting the breeder pick for me just means I don't worry about anything; I just tell them what I'm after, what my goals are, and forget about it till my puppy comes home. Whenever I see a bunch of adorable little puppies that is all I see... a bunch of adorable puppies... and I'd take them all if I could.
    +1. Breeder knows best. If you're buying site-unseen, just be sure to let the breeder know if minor imperfections (e.g., black spot on yellow fur) will be an issue. I think most breeders will tend to focus on the more pertinent characteristics.

Default Picking a puppy

I would never pick a pup by size. Do some internet research on puppy temperament testing Labs and read how to pick the right pup for your family and hunting needs. Temperament is always the most important consideration when picking a new pup especially if your inexperienced.

I can only agree in letting the breeder pick if the breeder knows how to properly evaluate the litter with no bias. Experienced and educated breeders are best to deal with. If your breeder is then they may know best, but it never hurts to know what your doing too.
    Training Isn't Expensive..... IT'S PRICELESS!

The largest female in my last litter is actually now the smallest of the litter at 2 yrs old, 55 lbs. and her brother (which males are typically larger) is 90 lbs, bigger than either parent. If advise not neutering until fully mature or it can affect growth plates, among other things, and cause the dog to grow taller than he would have if left intact. You never know how big a pup will actually grow to be when it is 6-8 wks old.

You cannot really pick a puppy based on anything other than you like it at a young age. Even at 10 weeks -puppies that look birdy or shy can change to the opposite, small pups will gain size when away from the litter, and bigger puppies can top out smaller than their siblings. It's a complete crap shoot. Go see the pups and whatever one catches your eye, pick that one. I remember when I picked my last pup, I asked the breeder a ton of things and his reply was this - "if you've found a way to pick the best pup then you know more than me and I've been breeding for 25 years. It's a crap shoot. Pick the parents/breeding, then pick gender you want and finally colour. Other than that, it's all a gamble."

Pick the litter not the pup.... Some of the all time greats were last pics.... Close your eyes, grab one and head to the truck....

Richard
    SHOOT EM' IN THE LIPS..........

HRCH Otter Sloughs Bronze Gander " Gander"
    TTF Duck Sloughs Make Mine a Double "Shooter"

www.ducksloughkennel.com

Romans 8:28

I recently had a litter of 9 puppies. What I quickly learned is some simply eat much faster than other puppies and tend to gain weight quicker. I chose the biggest female puppy in the litter. Now, all with their new families, the smallest female from birth thru 7 weeks is now the biggest female!! Now that she's eating out of her own bowl and no longer competing for food, she's caught up and passed nearly all of her littermate. Hope this helps.