The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: stopping dogs ear bleeding?

Default stopping dogs ear bleeding?

So Ranger got in a lil tiff yesterday and his ear got bit, right on the tip. Took him to vet who stitched it up. Hes fine but its still oozing a little blood, hes wearing the cone of shame but hates it. being an indoor dog I cant take the cone off because if/when he shakes his head he will paint the wall. Any good ideas to help stop the bleeding so I can get the cone off? Thanks for any advice.

There may be a capillary that has to be sewn off or clamped to stop the bleeding. Ears are the worst to stop bleeding. It should't still be oozing a lot a day after being stitched, so might need to call your doc.

Meredith

Might call your vet? Don

Might sound weird, but Sugar can aid healing, and help with clotting of minor wounds; had a Dr. use Sugar packets one time to stop ozzing when we had to sew up a barb-wire incident, it pulls moisture away from the wound, and forms a paste that can help blood clot faster. I think you can use honey as well, to coat a wound, that might help hold a dressing in place.

http://www.drwhitaker.com/heal-wounds-with-sugar/
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 12-18-2013 at 02:28 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH-I HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Powered alum pickling spice worked on my dog when
    nothing else would
    The time you spend on earth with your dog is precious; enjoy it to your fullest

Quote Originally Posted by carolinaonmymind View Post
    So Ranger got in a lil tiff yesterday and his ear got bit, right on the tip. Took him to vet who stitched it up. Hes fine but its still oozing a little blood, hes wearing the cone of shame but hates it. being an indoor dog I cant take the cone off because if/when he shakes his head he will paint the wall. Any good ideas to help stop the bleeding so I can get the cone off? Thanks for any advice.

Do not take the cone off! Your Vet put it on for a reason, likely so your dog cant scratch at it tearing out the sutures they put in.-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinaonmymind View Post
    Styptic powder.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Quote Originally Posted by Golddogs View Post
    Styptic powder.
    This as well as tissue glue. When it a knick won't stop bleeding we use Styptic powder and then paint it with clear nail polish to seal it if we don't have any tissue glue.
    Steph

Brittany - Border Collie/Springer Spaniel CGC - 03/03/1999 - 12/05/2014 My everything!
    Meka- Basset/Aussie
    Zoe's Taller N Me - Zoe Irish Wolfhound 9/04/2004 - 11/20/2013 I love you Big Girl!
    Ember Raise The Bar CGC - Corona (a fluffy)
    Embers Aint Misbehavin - Flirt (Corona's mini me)

A good friend helps you up when you fall. A best friend pees their pants laughing and trips you again!