The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: share some of the funniest reasons people have given for not buying your dog

Love the reply to #1 and #3! I sold one started dog... After selling him i said NEVER AGAIN!!!!
    "Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks, others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
    John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Prairie Pintail
    http://wilsonsretrievers.com/

I have sold three started dogs/wash-outs in the last four years and the first question from 50% of the callers was "does he have papers and does he retrieve". And I told a few no, I will not deliever to Alabama or send fifty youtoube videos.

My sister was devistated when someone who had pick female from her litter called to say that another woman had told him our litter was not good enough for him. He wanted a hunting dog and was to have it pro trained.He ended up paying twice as much for a pup and due to his ham handedness as a trainer it won't work for him. The pup he turned down went to a terrific home and was hunting before it was a year old with no pro training. The fellow that got her still sends pictures, particularly the one with the sun shining out her backside. He thinks there is no greater dog on four legs.His friends in the trialing game really wanted him to get some pro help and run her in FT. Guess we caught a lucky break for our not good enough.

McCallie:
    You and I have trained together a few times and I have always enjoyed it. Reading your replies makes me think that together we could really piss a few people off.

My wife had to help a friend understand two things today.
    1. Their Silver Labs really are not labs.
    2. If you think two 7 month weimaraniers are going to be calm without exercize you are an idiot.
    Still laughing!
    KARMA - The return on your entries will increase the sooner you decide to contribute one of your weekends to be in the judge's chair and judge others who have done the same for you.

For the most part, I've had pretty good luck with started dogs (although I do get a lot of calls about trained dogs and the people having sticker shock...."but I can buy a puppy for a lot less than that and have it longer than a three year old!" Um, yeah....but how much will it cost you to have that puppy trained to JH/SH/MH level?).

However, one story still really burns me. Guy calls on a very nice, trained dog. Sounds very nice, sends money, picks dog up and immediately heads off on a big two week hunting trip out west. Three weeks after selling him the dog, the guy is back and wanting to return the dog for a seriously bogus reason. I took the dog back (best for the dog), and then did a little research. Turns out the guy does this every fall when he wants to take a hunting trip....buys a nice, well trained dog, takes it on his hunting trip, then makes up some ridiculous reason to return it. That way, he doesn't have to own or maintain a dog...he just feeds one for a couple of weeks every fall and then returns it. Hard to believe the absolute gall of some folks. I now keep a "blacklist" and his name is right at the very top.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

I must be doing something wrong!! Sold a chopper bitch at a loss to a guide, 1.6 yrs old for $3,500 and he wanted to negotiate price. After listing what I had in her he scheduled an appt and paid on tail gate.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

Sharon, please send me that guys name.
    Discipline is no excuse for a lack of enthusiasm !!

Drakehaven, done.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Quote Originally Posted by DRAKEHAVEN View Post
    Sharon, please send me that guys name.
    Better yet make it a Sticky

Sharon, that is about the scummiest thing I have heard. People are the weak link in this dog world.
    Laurie Thompson
    BriarField Kennels, Dunlap TN

Miss Mabel Marshdog CGC, TDI certified, canine blood donor (Lab, retired)
    Kerrybrooks That's A Fact Jack JH, RN (Lab)
    Int'l Ch Snips Tennessee Jed SH, NAVHDA NA pz 1(GSP)
    CH Briarfields Autumn Connection JH, NAVHDA NA Ps 2(GSP)