The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: share some of the funniest reasons people have given for not buying your dog

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    This is kinda off topic, but it follows the theme of dealing with the public. The following however was between myself and a Co- worker.

His sons dog dies. He is visibly upset about the long story situation. He approaches me to build him an Urn to give to his son as a gift. He asks me how long it will take me to make him one.
    I told him I was a bit busy , but would work him in.

that weekend, the temp never got out of single digits . I worked in the unheated shop till Urn was done, and presented it to him Monday morning.

He took it, thanked me, i only charged him for material.

five days later he comes to work with the Urn. He says he was surprised that the creamstory supplied him with a very pretty balsa wood urn, that be thought looked nicer than Goosers, and asked for his money back, saying , the box from the crematory was free.

I was proud of myself, I took out my wallet and gave him his money. I didnt say a word,,, but boy I wanted to.

some people just suck!

Gooser
    I have one of those urns from the crematorium. Gavel came back to me in some kind of wood stained in cherry. And I can safely say that it is not as nice as one of yours. Most of mine have come back in a tin with a lid on it.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    today i sold a fantastic 26 month old hunting/hunt test dog. he is nafc x 17 aa point, without a win bitch. many people have called to inquire about him. i thought i would share a few of the "reasons" the tire kickers gave for not buying this fine animal, followed by my responses. btw congrats to the very lucky new owners!

1. after 28 text messages and setting an appointment to meet and evaluate, a guy from louisiana who was looking for a hunting dog says, "my six year old daughter wants a chocolate dog so we are not coming today."
    to which i reply, "fantastic!"
    he asks, "why do you feel us not coming is fantastic?"
    immediately i say, "because i don't want my dog going to a home where six year olds make such decisions and a home that would rather have a chocolate dog!"

2. after several texts, calls and discussions with another the next question is, "is he white or just yellow?"
    my response was, "no. thank you!"
    he inquires, "no thank you?"
    i say, "NO, he is not white. THANK YOU for your inquiry, good bye."

3. a good hunt test pro calls and says, "my client really wants him, do you still have him?"
    i say yes, but he is with a guide friend picking up duck for his hunts. he asks that i go two hours away to get him so i can bring him to atlanta tomorrow to meet. i agree.
    the next morning, a text, "my client loves the pedigree, needs a dog that can run master in the spring and handle now it's working out great. can you send some pics?"
    i send the pics and head towards atlanta.
    a call comes in, "john, i know this is stupid but my client's wife said your dog's nose is too long. they don't want him."
    my reply was, "well tell your client my dog said his wife's butt was too wide and he wasn't coming to live with her anyway!"
    What you needed to be selling was a white or chocolate dog with a much shorter snout. Then you would've had no difficulties.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Gooser, I'm sorry you had to deal with someone returning one of your lovely urns, especially after you dropped everything and worked in the cold to make it for him. Its hard to understand how some folks think.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    What you needed to be selling was a white or chocolate dog with a much shorter snout. Then you would've had no difficulties.
    susan,
    what i shoulda had was one of those fox red justice retrievers. that woulda made 'em all happy!

but, i wouldn't have been washing one of those!
    john mccallie

susan,
    what i shoulda had was one of those fox red justice retrievers. that woulda made 'em all happy!

but, i wouldn't have been washing one of those!
    Damn John....that one you got from Me was Black....Hope you haven't changed you tastes completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Lpgar View Post
    Damn John....that one you got from Me was Black....Hope you haven't changed you tastes completely.
    mr. gar,
    though i am color blind, i was only "making room" for our boy "son" who is the next big thing! that little black rascal is very well thought of wherever we go! son is through stick fetch, dealing with pressure well and running his marks like a freight train. i will call you with an update when we get ftp completed!
    john mccallie

mr. gar,
    though i am color blind, i was only "making room" for our boy "son" who is the next big thing! that little black rascal is very well thought of wherever we go! son is through stick fetch, dealing with pressure well and running his marks like a freight train. i will call you with an update when we get ftp completed!
    If you are turning this into a contest I better get busy.....

Roseberry I got a good laugh out of your responses and applaud you for them! I mostly sell puppies, not trained dogs but am happy to encourage buyers go elsewhere if they start hemming and hawing with a bunch of petty excuses. And Gooser--shame on that co-worker for commissioning your hard work on short notice and then asking for his money back. I don't think I could've been that nice; tact isn't my strong suit.

The worst I got was a very persistant caller wanting a puppy from a litter of four I had in 2004. I was very proud of the litter and the sire, who was an FC/AFC, became a dual champion shortly after the litter was whelped, so I wanted them to go to working homes. The persistant buyer was a very meek, timid woman and she finally had her blow hard of a husband call. He insisted on coming to see the pups, though I told him they were all spoken for, because this was a "designer pet" type home--gated subdivision near DC, etc. They came out and I invited them in to see the pups, so didn't see what he drove, but he manages to work into the first sentence about how he drives a Hummer and is willing to pay more than my asking price along with bragging about his kids' private schools and how rich they are.

The wife acted like she was afraid of him and with good reason. The kids were monsters, not interested in the puppies (what kid can resist baby 4 week old pups?) but very interested in going through my cabinets and drawers.Finally the blow hard husband cuffed the older kid, a boy and sent him out to go sit in the back seat of the Hummer. I continued to say I'd let him know if I had a cancellation, etc. as I'm trying to usher them out the door and out of my house/away from my dogs. They were also looking at a litter of Labradoodles and it's probably the only time I ever sang the praises of them. As I looked out the window I caught a glimpse of the boy, who wasn't in the Hummer but out in the paddock throwing rocks at my horses! I made sure to share his name with everyone I knew that had CBR puppies.
    Last edited by Julie R.; 12-22-2013 at 12:42 PM.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

"I'm sure yours are worth it, but do you know of any cheaper litters of labs that will also be good dogs?"

"Check the newspaper."

"Okay. And will you train it later?"

"No, I'm booked up."

"How long?"

"Years."

- happened last night.
    -Barton Ramsey

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    If you are turning this into a contest I better get busy.....
    that is all i need to go along with my small collection of minor stakes green ribbons........a contest with dr. ed!
    john mccallie