The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: share some of the funniest reasons people have given for not buying your dog

Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    that is all i need to go along with my small collection of minor stakes green ribbons........a contest with dr. ed!
    Only contest that counts is the one that has the first National qualified for first. *wink*

Several years ago, I had a gal who worked at the same company as me tell me her husband was looking for a good hunting dog. I had an older pup that I had already completed obedience work with so he was fairly well mannered. He had lots of retrieving desire and was a happy dog.

One night after they had had the dog for several months, the husband calls. Says the dog "crapped in obedience class" and he had never been so embarrassed. He had to clean it up and it smelled TERRIBLE. Somehow that was my fault? I told him I would take the dog back because it was obvious something else was going on. He wouldn't even bring the dog back to my house…he insisted on delivering the dog to my parking lot at work.

Found out a couple of weeks later from a friend who lived down the street from him that the dog stayed in his run 6 days a week, without any exercise or even cleaning of the run. When they let him out on the weekend to shovel out his run, the dog would run laps of joy. When he didn't come when called, the husband would finally catch him and beat him.

A couple of days after I got him back, friend tells me he comes home with two yellow pups from a "famous" breeding. The pups don't walk normally--get weaker and weaker. Both have to be euthanized because of severe CNM.

My dog recovered nicely with affection, food, a CLEAN environment and lots of exercise. He went home with his new family a few weeks later. Got reports on his wonderful life for many years.

Meredith

unbelievable-truly unbelievable. I've never had a litter, but we have done a lot of rescue. We always say there is someone ahead of the caller who is interested in the dog, in case we don't like them. My husband can spot a bad adopter a mile away and has no problem telling people they aren't appropriate for the dog no matte how far they've travelled to see the dog. We've had a ton of super nice, committed people and made some really good matches-which makes it all worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by mwk56 View Post
    Several years ago, I had a gal who worked at the same company as me tell me her husband was looking for a good hunting dog. I had an older pup that I had already completed obedience work with so he was fairly well mannered. He had lots of retrieving desire and was a happy dog.

One night after they had had the dog for several months, the husband calls. Says the dog "crapped in obedience class" and he had never been so embarrassed. He had to clean it up and it smelled TERRIBLE. Somehow that was my fault? I told him I would take the dog back because it was obvious something else was going on. He wouldn't even bring the dog back to my house…he insisted on delivering the dog to my parking lot at work.

Found out a couple of weeks later from a friend who lived down the street from him that the dog stayed in his run 6 days a week, without any exercise or even cleaning of the run. When they let him out on the weekend to shovel out his run, the dog would run laps of joy. When he didn't come when called, the husband would finally catch him and beat him.

A couple of days after I got him back, friend tells me he comes home with two yellow pups from a "famous" breeding. The pups don't walk normally--get weaker and weaker. Both have to be euthanized because of severe CNM.

My dog recovered nicely with affection, food, a CLEAN environment and lots of exercise. He went home with his new family a few weeks later. Got reports on his wonderful life for many years.

Meredith
    makes you you wonder why he really wanted a dog to begin with...... Thanks for doing the right thing and taking the pup back..... and getting him a great home.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    susan,
    what i shoulda had was one of those fox red justice retrievers. that woulda made 'em all happy!

but, i wouldn't have been washing one of those!
    Thanks John....... They sure are pretty/handsome. But so are blacks with a nice shiny coat!
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

You develop radar and can quickly weed out the suspicious ones. I would rather turn away a few potential buyers than make a bad placement. Only takes a couple of bad experiences to heighten your awareness. Just always sad for the dogs when things go wrong. I will take a puppy call, and when the call is over, my husband will ask, "What was wrong with THAT one?" But now he can tell too in a fairly short conversation.

Meredith

mwk56's comment reminded me;
    Dad sold a pup to a guy. Dad offered him some advice as he was leaving but the advice was unnecessary as he knew everything there was to know about his new GSP pup. Remember mom saying she wished dad had not sold him a pup. Anyway, long story short. The pup came back, a piece of crap of a dog at about 14 weeks old. Gun shy, hand shy, would not come out of the kennel box. The guy demanding his money back, which he got.
    Fast forward..the pup was very beaten down, gun shy and, as the old owner said, a piece of crap of a dog. Had him around about a year. Got him through all that and he went to work for an older gentleman on a Pheasant Shooting Preserve. The guy brought the dog back 10 years later to visit. The dog had handled over 4000 pheasant retrieves and both were very happy. I do believe that pup remembered dad after all those years. Don

It doesn't stop with the purchase. I've had requests for money back on hips for a dog that was bred twice before the hips were checked, first at 11 months. Of course, I found out about the breedings later.

For another it seems a dog was having seizures and the buyer wanted to know about those problems in my line... in advance of getting their money back. But the dog recovered from the pound of coffee grounds it had eaten, so they didn't want their money back any more. I found out about the coffee later, too.

There was also one attempted buyer that I was seriously afraid of... I was relieved when he took the deposit back and nothing happened to me.

But there are also wonderful stories of pups who went to homes that shared their companionship and love to old age or finished two Nationals, or hunted extensively and cared for grandchildren in the off-season...
    Last edited by Keith Stroyan; 12-23-2013 at 10:40 AM.