The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Train-rite Winger Opinions

Default Train-rite Winger Opinions

For those of you that have Train-rite wingers or have experience with em whats your opinion?
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)

Our club uses them and I manage the equipment trailer. Good winger and easy to set up. I have had to replace the pins for the pulleys (they fall out) and a couple of Rings for the straps that connect to the release other than that they do the job and easy for people to use who don't have a lot of experience with a winger.
    HRC- Our season never ends

"Shoot fast or shoot last"

HR UH Nilsson's on a wing n a prayer SH WCX

Very well built the cords hold up longer then the rubber have a kick release very nice release system club has several.

Heavy, poorly welded/assembled, and too expensive.
    However, the design does work better for launching flyers than a Zinger/GU type winger.

The remote release is really nice too.
    Especially when you need to manually operate it.

Copterdoc
    I would like to thank you for your positive comments. I would like to comment on the weld and weight. We have never had a weld failure on any of our launchers and we have been selling them for over ten years. Not only do clubs and professional Retriever trainers use them but many serious amateur's who demand a top quality reliable launcher. The weight is 18lbs and when shipped it is 21 lbs and that includes the box it is shipped in. Your comment on expense really comes down to you get what you pay for! If you want a quality product you will have to pay for it. Yes there are less expensive launchers out there and you see them for sale on RTF all the time. I have never seen a used Trainrite for sale here. Doesn't that make you wonder why? You comment that our launcher is poorly assembled I would very interested in your reasons and opinions. Do you own a Trainrite? If not where have you used one?
    Warren Price
    www.trainrite.net

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    Heavy, poorly welded/assembled, and too expensive.
    However, the design does work better for launching flyers than a Zinger/GU type winger.

The remote release is really nice too.
    Especially when you need to manually operate it.
    w. price

I have 2 Train-rite wingers and would not hesitate to purchase another when the time is right.

I have had the same issues Eric mentioned with the pulley pins and the pull back ring. I used both regularly for over two years.
    Paula

Dixie's Southern Comfort IV, MH

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is it will not be needed until they try to take it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by rookie View Post
    ...You comment that our launcher is poorly assembled I would very interested in your reasons and opinions. Do you own a Trainrite?
    I own one.

The welds are poor.
    The rings that mount the pulleys are positioned askew, and make it impossible to hook up the rubbers without having them chafe on something.

I had to cut off the square tube that is used to stow the anchor stakes, because it was tearing up the rubbers every time the winger launched.

The entire winger frame looks like it was made out of stuff that was bought at Home Depot, welded up in 15 minutes in the garage, and painted with a rattle can. The build quality is definitely not what I would call "getting what you paid for".

The exception being the release.
    The release is a finely crafted, and very well designed piece of training gear.
    Last edited by copterdoc; 01-26-2014 at 10:19 PM.

Couldn't disagree more. Shoot flyers out of a TR at least twice a week. The releases are first clase.
    Ed Wojciechowski

"GUNNER" MH
    "DASH" MH
    "TAZ" HRCH,RN,MH,MNH
    "Duffy" HRCH,UH, MH, HRC 500 points RIP
    "Kodi" SH, WCX- HRCH 6th Std Poodle
    "GINA" JH STD Poodle
    "Heather" HRCH, SH
    "CHIEF" JH,WCX,RN,SHR STD Poodle

My training group of 5 handlers and 10-15 dogs has been using 4 Train-rite wingers for over 3 years now, twice a week and they have done a great job. When it came time for out Club to replace old wingers, we purchased 11 more for our hunt tests...that's been 3 years and no major problems.
    My Girls...
    Duckback's Lord Have Mercy, MH 8/07
    Duckback Armbrook's Indigo Pearl, SH 10/10

I would disagree with Copterdoc as well. I have 2 of them and we use them everyday for 20+ dogs and the only problems I have is with the D ring and an occasional pin on a pulley. The service has been great. The only other problem I have is one of my training partners is a women in her 80's and she can't seem to string it on both bottom hooks!

They make a good product and do a good job servicing it.