The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plastic VS Canvas Bumpers

Default Plastic VS Canvas Bumpers

Just curious what the majority of you out there use and why... Do you use both depending on the season and locations?

I use mainly plastic/rubber in the warm season and canvas in the cold. the pvc ones will break in the cold and also tend to get buried in the snow. the Canvas ones stay closer to the surface and hold up well. I can throw a pvc on alot further then a canvas.

DT's SMT (south mouth trainers) .... A plastic bumper that remains pliable in cold temperatures and doesn't gather snow. Not your $3.99 bumper ... But well worth it!
    www.dakotacreekretrievers.com

Online store - http://store.dakotacreekretrievers.com
    Find us on facebook!

GMHR-II Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH
    MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
    Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
    Dakota Creek's Long Shot
    Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
    Drake's Bay Super Duty (2004 - 2013)

I second DT for the winter black when snow
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH *** 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH ***
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE (SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH) work in progress
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY ** ( work in progress, Larry's son and Murray's grandson)

Quote Originally Posted by The Snows View Post
    DT's SMT (south mouth trainers) .... A plastic bumper that remains pliable in cold temperatures and doesn't gather snow. Not your $3.99 bumper ... But well worth it!
    Yup, these are awesome even in winter.

I put them in the deep freeze and they remained soft. The new Averies turned into bricks as did the N&Bs.

Dokken makes some nice bumpers made out of the same stuff as the fake ducks, and they stay soft and the snow does not cling, but only in the 2" size. These are good for little pups when they are teething, too.

Also for marks at the park (where I won't use real ducks), when there is deep snow, I got a couple Dokken black ducks to throw. They are big and easier to find in the snow than the black bumpers.
    Last edited by mitty; 12-22-2013 at 12:57 PM.
    Renee P

I use canvas bumpers when planting sight blinds on land because they carry more scent...use plastic bumpers on water because of their buoyancy and durabilty

Same reasons on marks....

My only criticism of canvas bumpers is that I have a tendency to lose them in cover (my fault,not the dog's)
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    Yup, these are awesome even in winter.

I put them in the deep freeze and they remained soft. The new Averies turned into bricks as did the N&Bs.

Dokken makes some nice bumpers made out of the same stuff as the fake ducks, and they stay soft and the snow does not cling, but only in the 2" size. These are good for little pups when they are teething, too.

Also for marks at the park (where I won't use real ducks), when there is deep snow, I got a couple Dokken black ducks to throw. They are big and easier to find in the snow than the black bumpers.

How do you feel that they would hold up with a lot of useage?

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post
    How do you feel that they would hold up with a lot of useage?

john
    The Dokkens? The fake ducks are holding up fine, but I don't use them a lot as I usually use birds. I got the black and white Dokken bumpers, and the color did not last---the black did not stay deep black very long, and the white did not stay bright very long. I have had them for 3 years and they have held up ok, but once my dog was through yard work they weren't used much. If I were working a pup through T or something like that during the winter, and I needed more bumpers, they are what I would buy.
    Renee P

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    The Dokkens? The fake ducks are holding up fine, but I don't use them a lot as I usually use birds. I got the black and white Dokken bumpers, and the color did not last---the black did not stay deep black very long, and the white did not stay bright very long. I have had them for 3 years and they have held up ok, but once my dog was through yard work they weren't used much. If I were working a pup through T or something like that during the winter, and I needed more bumpers, they are what I would buy.
    The DT SMT's is what I was asking about? Would they hold up in the yard under the daily training pressure of quite a few dogs ?

john
    Last edited by john fallon; 12-24-2013 at 07:34 PM.
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post
    The DT SMT's is what I was asking about? Would they hold up in the yard under the daily training pressure of quite a few dogs ?

john
    Yes, they are as durable as any other plastic bumper I own. I have mostly Lucky Dogs.

Edit: actually I have only had them a year so I don't know that I can really claim much about durability. But they seem as good as new.
    Last edited by mitty; 12-24-2013 at 09:24 PM.
    Renee P