The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TT Pro 500 being phased out?

Default TT Pro 500 being phased out?

I heave read and heard bits and pieces about Garmin dropping the TT 500 from its production forecast. I'm looking at new collars, and am thinking I should steer clear of the 500 if the rumors are true. Does anyone have personal knowledge about this phase-out? I sure hope it's just a big, fat rumor because the 500 was the best collar on the market, IMO

Rob

I doubt it can be mass produced with the existing tooling which Garmin uses that fits into their profit/production calculation structure. It would be similar to Ferrari buying rights to make Nash Metropolitans. There would certainly be a niche market of buyers who love Metropolitans but, can you afford to run a completely separate manufacturing facility which isn't able to be integrated into your other modern lines?

Just a matter of time no matter what people are putting in the rumor mill. It would probably make more sense to sell the product technology to someone in the dog collar business and continue on with the Garmin branded and styled line of products.

That's REALLY a shame. I suppose I will look at the Dogtra, then. Thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by Rob New View Post
    That's REALLY a shame. I suppose I will look at the Dogtra, then. Thanks for the info
    HI Rob,

Merry Christmas to you. I was just thinking about you while on a drive from a busted duck hunt yesterday, ironically.

I'd like to catch up sometime and just hear how you're doing and what's going on.

I can't offer any good advice on Garmin's business plans. I do know that I love my G3 Pro 500. I also have a G3 Classic 70 and a G3 Flyway and I use them all and like them all. I have never sent mine back for service (although I did send my G2 Pro 500 back before I upgraded). My point there is that they are pretty hardy products, and even if you bought one today, and they were discontinued tomorrow, that doesn't necessarily mean there's a big issue there.

I will continue to use my G3 products, knowing that there will be ways to have them serviced, should they need it and if TT ever discontinued the line. I'm not as skeptical as some. I believe that if Garmin/TT do discontinue the G3 line, they are going to be sure that they come out with improvements that they are confident will be of value to the retriever community.

I believe TriTronics is continuing their sponsorship of RTF in 2014. This should serve as a demonstration of their recognition of the value of our special interest group/market, and their dedication to providing products for this market.

You deserve to be satisfied with whatever training equipment you choose. Have fun and good luck.

Let's catch up sometime.

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    HI Rob,

Merry Christmas to you. I was just thinking about you while on a drive from a busted duck hunt yesterday, ironically.

I'd like to catch up sometime and just hear how you're doing and what's going on.

I can't offer any good advice on Garmin's business plans. I do know that I love my G3 Pro 500. I also have a G3 Classic 70 and a G3 Flyway and I use them all and like them all. I have never sent mine back for service (although I did send my G2 Pro 500 back before I upgraded). My point there is that they are pretty hardy products, and even if you bought one today, and they were discontinued tomorrow, that doesn't necessarily mean there's a big issue there.

I will continue to use my G3 products, knowing that there will be ways to have them serviced, should they need it and if TT ever discontinued the line. I'm not as skeptical as some. I believe that if Garmin/TT do discontinue the G3 line, they are going to be sure that they come out with improvements that they are confident will be of value to the retriever community.

I believe TriTronics is continuing their sponsorship of RTF in 2014. This should serve as a demonstration of their recognition of the value of our special interest group/market, and their dedication to providing products for this market.

You deserve to be satisfied with whatever training equipment you choose. Have fun and good luck.

Let's catch up sometime.

Chris
    Agreed, I just upgraded to the G3 Pro 500, for the opposite reason the poster reasoned against it. It is the pinnacle of the Professional training collar, so I wanted to make sure I had mine before it was discontinued. I am sure that Garmin will stand by the warranty, and then Collar Clinic will always be there.
    "Owned by Three AWS's"

Luke 6:38
    Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

There are things you just can't fix. Can't fix stupid, can't fix a neutered dog & you can't fix junk!

American Water Spaniel Club, AKC - Parent Club
    http://www.americanwaterspanielclub.org/

Robert "BAYDOG" Goodman

I had kinda already decided to stick with the TT500 , for reasons you detailed, Chris. They have been the Gold Standard for training collars as long as I've played the game, and I can't imagine such a quality product completely fading away.
    PM me a number and I'll call you, bud.

I couldn't agree more about the TT product quality. Myself and everyone I know uses TT however, looking at ALL of Gamin's other products it just doesn't seem to fit into their style, look, marketing or anything else. They've already dumped what I can only guess was probably one of the most popular collars in favor of a more "Garmin Corporate Style" product.

Garmin changes models so fast it makes your head spin. All the newest(GPS/TwoWay) models are always available on Ebay "Reconditioned" at about 1/2 price with a 1 year factory warranty. Kind of scratch my head why so many reconditioned units are always available on sale. Probably some other long story but, that's also why Collar Clinic had stuff to sell too I guess?

I had to edit this thread because my own statement made me wonder something? There are and have been for years, TONS of reconditioned Garmin GPS units on Ebay for sale. Why would TT-G(TriTronics-Garmin) announce they are not reconditioning/repairing particular models? Obviously, they sell or recondition the GPS units and offer a one year factory warranty?

I wonder? I've bought one new Garmin GPS/2 Way which crapped out just after warranty and bought a reconditioned unit which still works fine two years after the warranty ran out?? Maybe we can look forward to the returned Garmin E-Collars showing up with a 1 year reconditioned warranty on Ebay?
    Last edited by Paul "Happy" Gilmore; 12-22-2013 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    I couldn't agree more about the TT product quality. Myself and everyone I know uses TT however, looking at ALL of Gamin's other products it just doesn't seem to fit into their style, look, marketing or anything else. They've already dumped what I can only guess was probably one of the most popular collars in favor of a more "Garmin Corporate Style" product.

Garmin changes models so fast it makes your head spin. All the newest(GPS/TwoWay) models are always available on Ebay "Reconditioned" at about 1/2 price with a 1 year factory warranty. Kind of scratch my head why so many reconditioned units are always available on sale. Probably some other long story but, that's also why Collar Clinic had stuff to sell too I guess?

I had to edit this thread because my own statement made me wonder something? There are and have been for years, TONS of reconditioned Garmin GPS units on Ebay for sale. Why would TT-G(TriTronics-Garmin) announce they are not reconditioning/repairing particular models? Obviously, they sell or recondition the GPS units and offer a one year factory warranty?

I wonder? I've bought one new Garmin GPS/2 Way which crapped out just after warranty and bought a reconditioned unit which still works fine two years after the warranty ran out?? Maybe we can look forward to the returned Garmin E-Collars showing up with a 1 year reconditioned warranty on Ebay?
    Reconditioned TriTronics collars, with a warranty, have been available for years.

I would see no reason for that to end. If there's a market, someone will likely seek to satisfy it.

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    Reconditioned TriTronics collars, with a warranty, have been available for years.

I would see no reason for that to end. If there's a market, someone will likely seek to satisfy it.

Chris
    Collar Clinic Primarily is what you mean? Not hundreds available on Ebay like the GPS units? If they are planning on keeping reconditioned units available why has there been talk that models will not be reconditioned?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    Collar Clinic Primarily is what you mean? Not hundreds available on Ebay like the GPS units? If they are planning on keeping reconditioned units available why has there been talk that models will not be reconditioned?
    Paul,

I did one quick google search and found it on Collar Clinic's website. So the answer is "yes". I'm sure there's not going to be "hundreds of units like GPS units".

While, we'd like to believe that our special interest group of dog trainers using electronics is a large, substantial market, it's not. When compared to the global market of GPS buying vehicle buyers, not to mention runners and bikers, The e-collar market is extremely tiny.

Let's look at just the Ironman market - a subset of the public who excercises. The average Ironman event has about 3,000 entries. Most ironman events sell out in about 2 hours. The Arizona event this year, sold out in less than 2 minutes.
    If you compare this to the average Field Trail, there's no comparison. The average Field Trial is open for days and has entries that pale in comparison to the size of a full Ironman event. Paul, our market is puny, dinky, tiny!

I think we can all agree that compared to the Ironman market, the market of vehicle owners, those who own a car and buy a GPS is gargantuan compared to the e-collar market for dog training. So it makes total sense that there would be hundreds of reconditioned GPS units, with only a handful of reconditioned dog collars in comparison.

You deserve to be happy in the future with whatever training products you seek.

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year to you.

I've said my piece on this (well, written, not literally "said"). I'm out now. If you choose to discuss further, that's fine. But I'm finished spending time typing about it.

Rob New is a friend of mine that I've known for years. I hope that he finds the training product that makes him happy.

Chris