The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any (human) ophthalmologist retriever trainers out there?

Default Any (human) ophthalmologist retriever trainers out there?

I am having eye problems; it started like an infection, I believe, but I have tested negative for all sorts.

I am having trouble getting (highly credentialed) doctors to believe what a dirty, nasty, germ-filled sport this can be! I would really appreciate an "insider's" list of outdoor-related infections. Please pm if you think you might have some ideas.

If anyone has had a similar experience on the patient side, I would appreciate that as well.

(No evidence of Lymes.)
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

Quote Originally Posted by luvalab View Post
    I am having eye problems; it started like an infection, I believe, but I have tested negative for all sorts.

I am having trouble getting (highly credentialed) doctors to believe what a dirty, nasty, germ-filled sport this can be! I would really appreciate an "insider's" list of outdoor-related infections. Please pm if you think you might have some ideas.

If anyone has had a similar experience on the patient side, I would appreciate that as well.

(No evidence of Lymes.)
    My mother had ocular Shingles which went undiagnosed until she found an Ophthalmogist at UT Southwestern Medical School in Dallas who diagnosed and treated her.

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    My mother had ocular Shingles which went undiagnosed until she found an Ophthalmogist at UT Southwestern Medical School in Dallas who diagnosed and treated her.
    No indication of shingles. I'll put it on my list to ask again, though. Thanks.
    --Greta Ode

Quote Originally Posted by luvalab View Post
    No indication of shingles. I'll put it on my list to ask again, though. Thanks.
    No other indication with her just an annoying persistent conjunctivitis/keratitis in one eye.

Did a doc mention that it could be pink eye?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry and Freya View Post
    Did a doc mention that it could be pink eye?
    We are way out of the realm of pinkeye, I'm afraid.
    --Greta Ode

I am not an ophthalmologist but am aware of dog folks that use feral pigeons for training that have had problems with infections transmitted from pigeons.

Knew someone that suffered eye issues. After going undiagnosed forever and a day the person found out they had herpes in the eye. 3 days of the right meds and they were back to normal. Sounds terrible but it's not as bad as it sounds.

One of the viruses that causes herpetic eye disease is called the varicella-zoster virus. It is the same virus that causes chickenpox and shingles, a disease of the nervous system. When this virus affects the eye, it is called herpes zoster ophthalmicus.

The other virus that causes herpetic eye disease is called herpes simplex type 1. Herpes simplex type 1 is the same virus that causes cold sores on the lips and mouth. In the eye, it usually causes an infection of the cornea. This infection is called herpes simplex keratitis.

Quote Originally Posted by Marissa E. View Post
    Knew someone that suffered eye issues. After going undiagnosed forever and a day the person found out they had herpes in the eye. 3 days of the right meds and they were back to normal. Sounds terrible but it's not as bad as it sounds.

One of the viruses that causes herpetic eye disease is called the varicella-zoster virus. It is the same virus that causes chickenpox and shingles, a disease of the nervous system. When this virus affects the eye, it is called herpes zoster ophthalmicus.

The other virus that causes herpetic eye disease is called herpes simplex type 1. Herpes simplex type 1 is the same virus that causes cold sores on the lips and mouth. In the eye, it usually causes an infection of the cornea. This infection is called herpes simplex keratitis.
    No indication of herpes (checked for), but I will still put it on the double-check list. Thanks,
    --Greta Ode

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Davis View Post
    I am not an ophthalmologist but am aware of dog folks that use feral pigeons for training that have had problems with infections transmitted from pigeons.
    Any chance you would remember a name of a condition or cause???
    --Greta Ode