The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hiring a pro...

Default Hiring a pro...

I'm not trying to start a fight. Just really curious.

I'm new to the game and am training my first dog. I'm having a blast doing it. I know a few guys who have sent their dogs to be trained by pros, but they were just interested in having a good hunting dog and I'm not aware that the dogs ever entered any tests or trials. I understand this reasoning.

During the few tests I've been to I've noticed a lot of pro handlers running their clients dogs. Most of the owners weren't even there. What is the benefit of this to the owners? Is it just to increase stud fees? Is there something else that I'm missing?

I dont do any lab trials but with my setters I send them with a pro because I can't take the time off of work. I run them when I can and let others run my dogs when I can not.

Quote Originally Posted by riverhawk View Post
    I'm not trying to start a fight. Just really curious.

I'm new to the game and am training my first dog. I'm having a blast doing it. I know a few guys who have sent their dogs to be trained by pros, but they were just interested in having a good hunting dog and I'm not aware that the dogs ever entered any tests or trials. I understand this reasoning.

During the few tests I've been to I've noticed a lot of pro handlers running their clients dogs. Most of the owners weren't even there. What is the benefit of this to the owners? Is it just to increase stud fees? Is there something else that I'm missing?
    LOL. Okay, I will feed it: They do this because they are lazy egomaniacs trying to ruin the HT game.

Solid 1st post by the OP.

I can't speak to other's motives, but I send my dog with a pro to trials that I can't attend for one reason or another, all the rest I run my own dog. With a lot of us still working and the circuit moving north or south depending on the season, some people send their dog away from home to keep the training going and run some trials on that other circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    LOL. Okay, I will feed it: They do this because they are lazy egomaniacs trying to ruin the HT game.

How does having a pro train/run your dog ruin the HT game? I don't mind you stirring the pot but how about doing it with a statement that makes sense
    Last edited by pcarpenter; 07-10-2014 at 01:48 PM.

Hi RH,

Welcome to RTF! I sent you a private message. To open it, please click the "private message" link.

Thanks, Chris

AAPM.JPG
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Quote Originally Posted by pcarpenter View Post
    How does having a pro train/run your do ruin the HT game? I don't mind you stirring the pot but how about doing it with a statement that makes sense
    I think he was just making a joke...

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    I think he was just making a joke...
    As my old boss used to say .... "keep'em funny"

So they're are a multitude of reasons that I have seen. This can range anything from people working on the weekends and not being able to run their own dogs at the tests. Or maybe the pro is going to a test that is say out of state and are running lets say 6-8 dogs it is actually cheaper for somebody to just have a pro run their dog at a test that may be a long ways to travel for a weekend whereas they can save money by splitting the costs with other owners, etc. Or I have seen people that just want a dog that has titles so they can hang them at home, office, etc. to say "I have a hunting retriever champion or a grand hunting retriever champion", now I don't agree with that and many of these people may not even be able to pick their dog out at the pro's kennel, BUT a pro doesn't care most of the time with these dogs because they enjoy what they are doing and get paid steadily for it. Or another reason maybe the owner doesn't really "run" the dog well and is not confident yet so they let the pro get passes and once they get titled maybe they run it then just for fun and to gain experience.
    As far as the comment about pro's running the HT game I think what many people are seeing is that the hunt tests are leaning toward more field trials (longer marks, longer blinds, unrealistic scenarios sometimes, or setups too hard for the testing level) and many amateurs get frustrated by this, but you can look at it several different ways in that by training for more difficult tests and with better bred dogs we are in turn making higher quality dogs, or you can look at it as it could be pushing amateurs and weekend warriors (somebody that may not have the time, equipment, space, etc, that cannot train in multiple areas, with multiple setups everyday) away from it, as it can be very expensive and time consuming, and if they feel they are going to tests and consistently wasting money by not passing then we lose out on these people going to hunt tests and recruiting new people into the dog games.