The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog kennel on Pavers

Default Dog kennel on Pavers

I am wanting to put a kennel in my back yard. We plan on selling our house in the next couple of years and do not want to put any type of permanent structure in the back yard that would deter people from buying the house. Many people do not have any need for a dog kennel. This is why I really don't want to pour a cement slab for the kennel floor.

Just curious if anyone has had a kennel before with a paver flooring. Was thinking about some kind of 12x12 paver. Any opinions on satisfaction, maintenance, ect would be appreciated.

I have paver runs with 12X12's. It's rather easy to DIY. Figure out your square footage and determine how much Crushed Concrete you need for a base. Pack it tightly! It doesnt have to be precise but Also figure out which way you want it to drain and have a slight slope. Then put down exactly 1 inch of sand. Smooth it out and screte the sand so its nice and level. Start laying the pavers you choose. You may want to get blocks cut so you have it nice and square. Lastly. Get a bag or two of paver locking sand and sweep it in. once the cracks are filled hose it down. This allows the glue to react. Do not walk on it until it drys or else you will have permanant foot prints. The paver locking sand acts as a weed barrier.

Almost forgot. Youll want to get landcape paver edging. You will butt the edging up to the perimiter of your run. If you dont put the edging down the blocks on the ends will fall away.

Any questions or clarifications let me know!

Yup - our last house had pavers - we had them installed professionally the second go around (we moved them from their original location) - we just sold the house a few months ago and the new owners liked them.
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

Horse stall mats!! 4'x6' $35 just lay on the ground i have a 5 run kennel with these now cause i know i will be moving in couple years.. Just pull them up work up the ground to loosen the soil and throw some grass seed on it
    "Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks, others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
    John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Prairie Pintail
    http://wilsonsretrievers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by i_willie12 View Post
    Horse stall mats!! 4'x6' $35 just lay on the ground i have a 5 run kennel with these now cause i know i will be moving in couple years.. Just pull them up work up the ground to loosen the soil and throw some grass seed on it
    Don't they get really hot in the summer like black top?

Marissa Everett

Hebrews 12:11 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

I have roof over mine
    Had tarps before never a issue
    "Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks, others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
    John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Prairie Pintail
    http://wilsonsretrievers.com/

Used old bricks that were all over my yard when I purchased my new home. It totally eliminates the dirt and mud in the kennel.

just pour the slab and put up a basketball hoop

I know several folks with pavers in their kennels. All seem to fine and some better than others depending on the effort to install. I used pavers in my duck pen.

Put concrete wire mesh down- pavers on top of mesh with about a 2 inch gap between pavers then rock on top. Or to fill the gaps. On mud to deal with on catching ducks. No critters digging in either
    Dk

Decide ahead of time if you want your kennel panels raised above the pavers. We set up our kennels and then laid the pavers on the inside… all fine but there's no drainage. Plan it out so that your panels aren't setting too close to the edges of your pavers or they might get tippy. Yea, we did that too.
    Pam
    HR Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe," MH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ