The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Snow goose socks

Default Snow goose socks

Thinking about gearing up and chasing some geese in the spring. Our lease in semo allows us to hunt the conservation season also. We are currently looking at white rock decoys to start with. My only concern is that they don't appear to have the backbone support in them like sillo socks or deadly decoys. Is the support a big deal? Or are u just better off not hunting on the extremely calm days? Any help to get us started would be appreciated

Someone in our group hunts snows almost every day in TX. Tried lots of decoys but if you are not going to full bodies or stuffers silosocks are the choice down here. Also consider an electronic caller and a magazine extension for your gun. Mine holds 8 shots. Not that you need 8 shots it is just sometimes you can not reload fast enough to shoot at all the opportunities. I was not aware you had that many snows in your area. I always figure I need a thousand geese in the area to make it worth while thinking that 1% is a probable harvest target. Also a spread is around 250 decoys per person. I would tell you more but I am going hunting this morning.....BSEG!
    John C aka jacduck

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

South east Missouri is covered in snows. Thanks for the help so far. We have a e caller in mind also.

In my days of serious Snow goose hunting numbers were much more important than realism in a spread. A little realism and a lot of white things.

Hmm! used to train with a guy for 15 or 20 years and that was his trademark when he judged all-age field trials, windsocks and many of them...Even took then on the Planes when he flew to some assignments, very compact...Dogs sometimes wanted to advoid them too.
    Earl Dillow

Fred K. used them down in Florida in a trial- amazing what all-age dogs did when they encountered a big spread.

Quote Originally Posted by Laird's Retrievers View Post
    Fred K. used them down in Florida in a trial- amazing what all-age dogs did when they encountered a big spread.
    Yes that's the guy. He was my old training partner for many years Saw many a big time dog go into a advoidance mode when they encountered them..public school teacher retired, moved to Kansas..Some didn't like the spread. We trained with them many times, once you trained on the spread a few times, it became a non-issue going through them,if that's where the blind or bird placement was put.
    Earl Dillow

Fred Knez was a good judge without the decoy gimmick which he did not need and eventually abandoned.

Keep in mind that per recent band recoveries the average age of snow geese is 13.5 years and they are hunted 9 months out of the year somewhere in their travels. Just numbers used to work but they have gained some knowledge about safety in their travails. One tough goose to hunt, almost as tough as Sandhill cranes.
    John C aka jacduck

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

I would want Deadly Decoys. I've hunted snows for well over 10 years.
    The back bone IS important.
    Nothing is worse that a no wind day and rags hanging limp.
    Ray K

Princess Lillian Vl
    SHR Deke of Sunnyburke SH
    HRCH UH Ray's Cotton Pickin' Jake MH, 500 Pt Club, 02-11
    SHR Callie May JH, 98-09
    SR Gus "The Wonder Dog" JH, 91-01