The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Truck Dogs

Cool Truck Dogs

Am planning to be on the road a little more often next year, and considering adding a little dog to the mafia. Thinking of like a Jack or parson russell; I like the scruffier look, but with the right face, will take a smoother coated dog.
    I wanted to throw it out to the rest of you. What breed is your little dog and will you be getting the same kind next time you get a truck pup, or switching?

Happy new year to everyone,

Abby
    HRCH UH Wolf Creek's Ebonstar Coach "Coach" MH
    HRCH UH Wolf Creek's Candlewood Victory "Tory" MH

“Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life.” ~ Annie Oakley

Do you listen to God as well as your dog listens to you? Can God run "Blinds" with you?

www.trinityoaklabs.com

Something big enough to get a collar on. Wife and girls keep getting these critters too small to bother with. God forbid you don't watch where you're walking.

Did you find your dog?
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

A field-bred English Cocker Spaniel
    Small enough to ride in the front seat but can still train alongside your retrievers
    "The bird hunter watches only the dog, and always knows where the dog is, whether or not visible at the moment. The dog’ nose is the bird hunters eye. Many hunters who carry a shotgun in season have never learned to watch the dog, or interpret his reaction to scent."
    Aldo Leopold, Round River

What's the deal with the JRTs anyway? Little designer rats if you ask me. Go with something practical like a mini poodle. If you get real bored you can run them in a hunt test.
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce MacPherson View Post
    What's the deal with the JRTs anyway? Little designer rats if you ask me. Go with something practical like a mini poodle. If you get real bored you can run them in a hunt test.
    If you have not known or lived with a JRT it might be difficult to understand, they are very smart and far from your description, they are very special little dogs who do not view themselves as small.

JRT's are a very special little "BIG" dog. Mine will retrieve fur or feather, land or water(boat), blood trial deer. Great truck dogs! He is CC. Boken coat. He never met a varmit he could not whip.

Abby--

You will love, love, love a JRT. They are bundles of total joy and mischief. Much tougher than I ever thought possible for such a little dog. And you will find that your "truck" dog becomes a very treasured pack member. I like the smooth coats too.

Bruce--designer RATS!!!??? I always take Archie's arglye sweater off before I let him go mousing.

JRT, hands down. Ask Pals....Nancy is a JRT fan extraordinaire. I'm on my second, and they are truly great little dogs. Non-stop entertainment, whip smart, and just plain fun. My current girl, Ginny, as been retrieving to hand from day one, and her batteries never wind down. Dr. Ed is right on, too....they do not think of themselves as little. When they look in the mirror, they see a St. Bernard.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Just sent a deposit off for my next Russell. I am totally addicted to them. For some reason we seem to be kindred spirits.

Somehow I knew the JRT crowd would come out waving their arms around and getting all excited about disparaging comments about their dogs. LOL.
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.