The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rowdy (by Pirate) What would you do?

Add WWPD to the slogan- makings of a good bumper sticker

I agree with Dennis, don't hide from your dog in training! Even though I only run hunt tests these days, if we are working on longish marks, I wear white. And I am really not liking the use of wingers for working on precision marks and good lines. Then, handling is your only option and sometimes its just not the right one.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

I have no problem using Wingers at 250 to even 350 yards. I do it all the time mostly with Zinger-Wingers II. I am very conscious of the background and what bird I use (full size mallards or pheasants) and I will use white flagging as required. I have prominent stick men at the station. I am talking about advanced dogs that know how to go that far.

In my Training Alone DVD you will see an example where a young dog does not see a winger bird and I go out and re-set. Incidentally, whereas at a trial I only watch my dog and not the throws(except the flyer), when training alone I watch my dog but have learned to steal a quick glance when the bird is at the top of the arc to check visibility. I noticed Wayne dutifully watching Rowdy (but also learn to steal that glance).

Note: at a trial one of biggest mistakes that you will see is Amateurs watching all the birds going down without ever looking at their dog-they have no idea what the dog saw, where it was looking or if it was creeping etc.
    Last edited by RetrieversONLINE; 12-27-2013 at 11:46 AM.
    Dennis

Thanks everyone for the constructive comments. I really appreciate the help.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

As good as the video is, at one point I do not see Rowdy, and when I next see him a moment later he is headed to the left. Is there maybe a ditch there that he squared? Or a little hill that threw him to the left?
    Renee P

Wayne, no advice, but fabulous camera. What's the model?
    Kelly Cassidy (person)

HR Maple Cassidy CDX JH RE (golden retriever)
    Alder Cassidy CDX RE (standard poodle chipmunk chaser)
    plus whacked-out weird Burka (elderly mix-breed rescue girl)

There are two little levees in route to the mark but I could see him all the way in the video. They shouldn't have had any impact.
    Wayne Nutt

The camera is a Sony HDR-CX380
    Wayne Nutt

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    As good as the video is, at one point I do not see Rowdy, and when I next see him a moment later he is headed to the left. Is there maybe a ditch there that he squared? Or a little hill that threw him to the left?
    Renee

Good for you!! Very perceptive for someone relatively new. You made me go back and really watch it closely when magnified a bit.

Here's what I saw this time.

Rowdy comes to line and immediately spots the stickman and sits facing it perfectly.

Then he spots a prominent white rectangle off to the left and he looks at it intently. After a bit Wayne sees this and pats him "here". Rowdy now moves and ends up crooked to the right ( Wayne- I have noticed that you do often send Rowdy a little crooked!).

Rowdy appears to see bird and takes off on correct line. He drifts a tad right early on a little hill.

Then he flares a tree a tad to the left but is still going at the fall.

Then as he hits the two levees he drifts left on both. It's hard to tell if they are being squared but they do influence him.

This drift also starts as he passes one of the corridor trees on the left. It appears that as the dog reached this break point, the view to the left would open up (see footnote).

Rowdy gets to the gunner and turns left. That is where he starts his hunt. That is where he first thinks the bird is. He turns left not towards the bird so it is not a simple wind fade hook.

However, he takes one loop and immediately runs to the bird suggesting that there is some breeze from right to left.

In hindsight, it appears that there are several factors pushing or pulling left (including the old mark and the first look). Thus I would have handled.

So much to see when you watch your dog!!!!!

Cheers

Footnote:
    Related to this---in the current issue of Retrievers ONLINE, there is a judging article by Ted Shih and Terry Rotschafer on Judging the High Rollers and they discuss physical and visual keyholes. This is a visual keyhole with the two staggered trees. Once the dog gets though the keyhole the picture changes.
    Dennis

I looked at the background today. Off to the left was sun reflecting off farm equipment, next door neighbors tool shed, carport and well house. Not white but light colored so the sun made il look like it.
    Wayne Nutt