The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poison Bird - Under the Arc (videos)

Default Poison Bird - Under the Arc (videos)

Am I approaching this correctly? Blind is about 120 yards; mark is 50 yds. I established the pile first then ran video one, followed by video two. This was day two of running this drill (day one was in another location). She performed about the same as she did today. I have been successful at handling her off the poison bird.

Decided not to run a third time today for fear that my approach may be wrong and I don't want to make things worse. I could tell she was getting more nervous each time.

Up to this point, we have picked up the mark first then the blind. The marks have been thrown to the right, well outside the line to the blind; thrown on line to the blind; and mark thrown where blind would be ran under the arc. She did very well with that drill.

Thanks for the assistance.

PS. Road is about 250 yards away with 8' chain link bordering.
    Disregard title of videos - I got confused during the upload process

http://youtu.be/gbNItYIVSxE
    http://youtu.be/OPTa4SW4fJw
    Last edited by Duck Blind; 12-27-2013 at 03:57 PM.
    Brian Caudle
    Marriner's Lady Piper of Coratank "Piper" JH

"This was day two of running this drill (day one was in another location).

I'm wondering if it is a good idea to be running what appears to be a new drill in another place the very next day........let alone changing expectations. She looks willing and eager. It sounds like you have done a few diversion setups. Please explain the sequence and source.
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    KwickLabs Fountain of Youth - Pounce
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH (June, 2007 - May, 2014)

She is handling well. In the second vid she does head / line to the mark but took a nice back cast back to the pile which is nice. Has that back pile been established prior? I am assuming she knows its there as a pattern blind. I think continuing pulling her off the mark then using attrition should work. Once you can pull her off the mark consistency and have her lock in on the blind and run that line you should have taught her to go where I send you on a blind. Do not expect her to get this overnight. I cannot hear in the vid but are you no'ing her off the mark then lining her to the blind and saying "dead bird" to establish the blind?

Moving to a cold blind, after you feel she has the concept down, will test how well she is pulling off that mark and lining the direction you establish for the blind (cold).
    Joe B.

Northern Colorado

HRCH Bella's Devine Independence SH "Indy"
    Lakota Ridge Sage JH "Sage"
    SHR APR KB's Lakota Ridge Delaney JH "Del"
    RIP 2014 Lakotaridge Heartsome Tanner SH "Tanner"
    RIP 2012 Oryan of Cork "Orion"

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."
    "Never hate your enemies. It affects your judgment."

BE CAREFUL of keeping balance , make sure the dog is getting straight up marks at the same time, too much of no-ing them off of marks creates a dog lacking confidence
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Point #1....I would make the poison bird of higher value IE I would always use a bird.

Point #2.... You step up and re-position the dog after the mark is down....Me I would point the dog at the blind and not move again....let the cards fall where they will and get the most training value on the communication your trying to develop.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget Bodine View Post
    BE CAREFUL of keeping balance , make sure the dog is getting straight up marks at the same time, too much of no-ing them off of marks creates a dog lacking confidence
    This (balance) is why I always end the session with a pick up the mark first and then the blind....Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

Thanks for the feedback everyone! To answer a couple questions:

KWIKLABS: "It sounds like you have done a few diversion setups. Please explain the sequence and source".

I have followed Rick Stawski from the beginning which included diversions as noted in my original post. Started with just a gunner standing in the middle of a field. Ending with the dog picking up a mark then running a blind under the arc. She did really well with this. I used a similar progression here, i just picked the blind up first then the mark.

Joe Brakke: Yes. I no'ed her off the bird then said dead bird for the blind.

Excellent point on balance. I really hadn't considered it. She is bird CRAZY, guess that's why I never gave it much thought. I can see where this could be an issue.
    Brian Caudle
    Marriner's Lady Piper of Coratank "Piper" JH

Also be aware of the amount of pressure you are using, around the not picking up the poison bird, when you get to the point of it being a live flyer...The more pressure the more likely there will be a problem with not wanting to pick it up after the blind is retrieved..It sounds like you have a good grasp of the sequence of teaching the diversion drill from start to finish...Best wishes...Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

Spend 3-5 days on Four Phase drill (Phase D; under the arc) and then go check your dog's understanding of the concept at modest distances. Extend in different places, sequentially increasing distances.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Spend 3-5 days on Four Phase drill (Phase D; under the arc) and then go check your dog's understanding of the concept at modest distances. Extend in different places, sequentially increasing distances.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile